Memory Problems with GB Motherboard

mattb95

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Hello, I am new to this forum and need some help! I have recently built a new computer for multi-tasking with a bit of gaming etc but have run into RAM problems.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte 970A-DS3, and I am using Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory which as far as I can tell is compatible, however the PC seems to be crashing randomly (usually screen freezes then I have to restart/power off pc with the button).

I am sure it is a memory fault because usually after this happens, the pc boots up but only 4GB of RAM is detected in the BIOS check, then it freezes during the windows splash screen and wont boot unless I unplug the PC and leave it for 30mins or so.

I did use @BIOS to update the latest BIOS but no help

System:
Gigabyte 970A-DS3
AMD FX4100
Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory
PowerColor HD 7850
Antec 620W PSU
WD 320GB HDD

Thanks Greatly! Matt

mattb95

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011

What do you mean by test out side the case?

It does have a different cpu cooler but I don't think temperatures are a problem. Are you suggesting that the cpu may be damaged or not properly seated etc?

BTW Memtest86 comes up with no errors.

Thanks v. much, Matt

Then why the 4GB detection issue? It might be a CPU socket bent pins issue, or a heatsink overtightened and by taking the board and testing it on a cardboard or similar you will rule out a shorting issue. Try also testing with only one RAM stick installed. Test each RAM.

mattb95

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Well I've taken out one ram stick and it started up fine. If memtest did not find any problems when I had two sticks installed then is there any point in testing just one stick? Cause it take blaady ages! :lol:

I can actually tell if the problem has been solved however because the crashing is random but I'll just use the pc for a bit and see if it works.

Thanks for your help!