Is there an adapter/converter out there for cable-to-ethernet?

paidbyhalf13

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
About to move into a new house and if AT&T does not service my new neighborhood then I am most likely stuck with cable type of internet, i.e. comcast/time warner. I am a wired networking type of guy and do not trust wireless to be reliable enough to stuff like internet TV, gaming, xbox/ps3..etc only basic web browsing if I'm on the laptop. My question is, since there's cable wires sticking out in almost every room is there an adapter to go from cable and have the end be ethernet so i can plug it into my RJ-45 ports like xbox 360 that's in the living room while the cable modem is in the office room. Thanks

Solution
TV cables are not made for networking. Their resistance is 50 Ohm instate of 75 Ohm which the old BNC cables use to have in the 80's. Also the max speed would be no more than 10 mb.

I guess some drilling through the wall is required.
TV cables are not made for networking. Their resistance is 50 Ohm instate of 75 Ohm which the old BNC cables use to have in the 80's. Also the max speed would be no more than 10 mb.

I guess some drilling through the wall is required.

Solution

paidbyhalf13

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

Ah, okay. Thanks for letting me know. Now I'll stop getting frustrated when trying to find adapters for this scenario lol.