Help me understand Gigabyte UEFI boot options

Denis54

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2003
I have no experience with UEFI bios. I have ordered a Gigabyte B75M-D3H and I want to install Win 8.

I have read that the B75M-D3H UEFI is similar to the one used by most other Gigabyte boards.

Could you help me understand what are the boot options offered by UEFI?

What UEFI settings should I use to install Win 8?

Is there an option that lets you choose between UEFI boot mode and Legacy boot mode?

Do I have to load some special file? I have read some posts where people talk about an *.efi file, others where people talk about an *x64.efi file. I have no idea what these are all about.

AK4749

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Hello, I have a GB GA-Z68XP-UD3P board, and am not quite sure about your specific model. However, the latest firmware (BIOS) update for my model changes then entire BIOS to UEFI style boot. Thus, it is a graphical interface that is quite easy to navigate, and mostly self-explanatory.

With regards to W8 installation, you need to ensure the disk is GPT, and not MBR if you use UEFI boot. (also must be x64). If you simply insert the W8 installation disk, you need not concern yourself with any details (unless you are dual booting and have an EFI boot partition on another drive).

If you really want to make sure you do it right, press <DEL> on immediate boot (after you make sure you have the UEFI firmware installed), and in my version, the final page has a "Boot Override" section, where you can choose what to boot. If you have your DVD drive installed correctly, you will see a UEFI: DVD RW XXX something option. Boot this. You have now successfully booted your W8 x64 disc in UEFI mode. The rest is just following the menus.

*** BTW I AM NO EXPERT, everything I just said I've learned recently after experiencing huge issues dual booting ubuntu and W8 in a dual-drive UEFI boot setup. Those issues are not yet resolved, so take my words with a grain of salt haha ***

Denis54

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2003
I never had a UEFI:DVD option may be my DVD drive is too old.

I downloaded W8 to an USB drive. That allowed me to see the UEFI:USB option. I then did the install from the USB drive and everything is fine. My disc is GPT.

BerylLee

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
no need to choose anything to install Win 8, the bios is internally ready for Win 8 in uefi bios.
your B75M-D3H is using uefi bios too but just a little different interface from current 3D version, basically they are the same.