Sign in with
Your question

1st Gaming Build - Help me Finish it off.

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2011 12:10:43 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $1,400.00

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games (BF3), University Work, Web browsing.

Parts Not Required: Starting fresh

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.msy.com.au (use http://www.msy.com.au/default.jsp) or www.umart.com.au if absolutely necessary but prefer msy.

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Whatever gets the job done.

Overclocking: possibly in the future when things get seemingly "slower"

SLI or Crossfire: Very unlikely

Monitor Resolution: TBD

Additional Comments:
- I currently have a 1440x900 monitor but i plan on using that as a secondary screen for productivity purposes only.
- See below
- Is the MOBO too much if i dont intendt to SLI/xfire?
- Do i want fans on the front of the antex 300 to suck air in?
- Wired mouse/keyboard > wireless

My build so far (all prices from MSY), if the image isnt working ill type it.

As you can see im not sure on the monitor/keyboard and mouse

Thank you

October 13, 2011 12:15:07 AM

monitor, keyboard, and mouse tend to be personal preference, so really whatever you want. you may want to consider get an msi gtx 570 for the cooling, if you can afford it, but your build looks great
m
l
October 13, 2011 12:19:53 AM

All looks excellent! At that price, I tend to favor a 6970 over a GTX 570.
You could always crossfire 2 6870's right off the bat, get some pretty sweet performance.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2011 12:23:31 AM

striker410 said:
All looks excellent! At that price, I tend to favor a 6970 over a GTX 570.
You could always crossfire 2 6870's right off the bat, get some pretty sweet performance.

but then you would have to get an entirely new card for a gpu upgrade.
but this seems to be one of those never-ending arguments(like amd vs. intel), cause you get more performance right off the bat, but less upgradeability.
m
l
October 13, 2011 12:30:52 AM

Are we talking about the 6870's, or the 6970...
m
l
October 13, 2011 12:32:36 AM

Thanks for the quick response,

Morgath780 -> im assuming your refering to the MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr III/OC in which case is the extra $11.00 worth it? I couldnt agree more that the keyboard and mouse are personal preference but as i understand there are a few things to look for in monitors.

striker410 -> i thought about those two for a while and MSY prices the gigabyte 570 the same as the 6970. Ive had bad experiences with HIS who offer a cheaper 6970 and im not sure of powercolor.

thanks
m
l
October 13, 2011 12:37:30 AM

Sorry, just to clarrify id prefer not to xfire or sli at all from the get go.
m
l
October 13, 2011 1:02:42 AM

I'm ordering half of my build from MSY as well (other half from Pc Case Gear becuase they have more of the stuff I want)! Anyway, everything looks good and you could save money by going with a good 650W PSU because you really don't need that much for 1 GPU, just make sure it's good quality like this one http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=4990 otherwise everything looks good.

About the monitor, this should be a good choice, http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=7940 Generally a LED monitor is better than an LCD and the one I listed hase a brilliant 2ms response time, which is great for gaming.

Also the extra $11 is worth it for the GPU, I have seen great benchmarks and reviews for the MSI lighting.

On 1 last note, spend an extra $1 and get this HDD http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=2519 It is one of the fastest HDD's and better build quality than the Segate, I have had bad experiences with Segate, Samsung or WD is the way to go!

Good luck!
m
l
October 13, 2011 1:12:30 AM

Thanks Shaqxolotl, its reassuring that you mentioned those things because in the meantime i was researching a little.

PSU -> i was thinking of even going with the Antec HCG-620 High Current Gamer Gaming PSU, provided of course there is enough headroom for a future OC and newer GPU's.

Monitor -> i had my eye on that one too.

GPU -> im assuming MSI lightning is the twin frozr GTX570?

HDD -> i dont think that HDD you linked is the spinpoint as its RPM is 5,400RPM

m
l
October 13, 2011 1:38:28 AM

tarshm said:
Thanks Shaqxolotl, its reassuring that you mentioned those things because in the meantime i was researching a little.

PSU -> i was thinking of even going with the Antec HCG-620 High Current Gamer Gaming PSU, provided of course there is enough headroom for a future OC and newer GPU's.

Monitor -> i had my eye on that one too.

GPU -> im assuming MSI lightning is the twin frozr GTX570?

HDD -> i dont think that HDD you linked is the spinpoint as its RPM is 5,400RPM

Yes, you are correct, the HDD I mentioned is not the SpinPoint, I'm typing on my iPod so it's a bit sloppy. In that case get a 1tb WD green.

As for the PSU, get the Antec HCG 620W if you have to and don't plan on going SLI/Crossfire. In my honest opinion, I would get the Corsair just because I believe they make the best quality PSU and you can always trust them.

Indeed you are correct again, I obviously didn't read the previous post correctly and got mixed up with GPU's. Spend the extra $11 and get the Twin Frozr 570, it's as good a quality as you can get and it's a super fast card.

And be sure to get that monitor, it is great for gaming.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck :D 
m
l
October 13, 2011 1:56:54 AM

I disagree, I would not get a WD green. They are expensive and slow. Seagate Barracuda's are fine.
The Antec High Current Gamer series is quite good. If there's a deal on it, get it. Can't SLI, but it's got plenty of juice.
m
l
October 13, 2011 2:01:03 AM

Alrighty, ill take all this advice, process it and then come back to you with my hopefully ready to order build.

Thanks
m
l
October 13, 2011 2:08:37 AM

striker410 said:
I disagree, I would not get a WD green. They are expensive and slow. Seagate Barracuda's are fine.
The Antec High Current Gamer series is quite good. If there's a deal on it, get it. Can't SLI, but it's got plenty of juice.

The WD green is actually cheap, $56 + if you search the forums and google, most people find to have problems with Seagate HDD's, just like I have experienced.

The Antec 620W HCG is fine, I was just stating my opinion.

Good luck OP!
m
l
October 15, 2011 11:35:05 PM

First up, i got held up with a few things so couldnt get on here to reply.

Ive made a few adjustments to the build (see below).

Ive being weighing up a few things and figured that something like the antec 620w HCG is $15.00 cheaper than an antec 750 so for that little extra i may aswell future proof for whatever i decide to do later on.

Something i did pick up on however (in my searches) is that the Antec EarthWatts EA-750W PSU (http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8120) which i was planning on purchasing only has 25A along the 12V rails where as some of the other psu's have more. This area isnt my strong point though so im not sure what impact such a thing will have on future upgradability and OCing.

I was also thinking of going with a bigger case to make life easier , possibly something like

Coolermaster RC-692 Advanced II Black NO PSU
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=924

or

Antec 900 Nine-Hundred Gaming Tower without PSU
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=879

m
l
October 17, 2011 2:09:56 AM

Bump because i want to order this :) 
m
l
October 17, 2011 9:17:59 AM

I guess its a good idea to get 750W Antec PSU, but you can get better.

I would recommend getting another HDD, if you can afford it, get a WD caviar black and a case that has USB 3.0 would be a bonus.

Good luck!
m
l
October 17, 2011 7:54:37 PM

+1 for the 750w. I also most vote for the CM 690 II, because it's probably the sexiest and most functional case in that price range. I love the looks of it.
m
l
October 18, 2011 2:31:18 AM

So im guessing the the Antec Earthwatts 750W will be fine with those amp ratings? (probably looking into it too much). And yeah a family member of mine has the CM 692 II works great, although ive read of people having grounding issues with it.

Planning on ordering it tomorrow!
m
l
!