Solved

New mobo, still use same OS?

Tags:
  • Sabertooth
  • Windows 8
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 8
January 16, 2013 6:42:14 PM

I recently bought a sabertooth z77, I heard from some people that I couldn't "transfer" the OS i have on my current mobo to this new one. I'm currently using Windows 8, the computer was purchased from ibuypower. will i be able to move this OS to my new mobo, I'd hate to have to buy a new one. thank you :D 

More about : mobo

a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 6:44:11 PM

Windows 8 allows you to switch hardware. OEM versions of Windows 7 didn't allow it, but Windows 8 license is a lot more open and allows it no problem.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 6:46:44 PM

Hello... yes you will have to re-install due to chipset drivers... you will have 30 days to call to activate... and tell them ( if they ask )... that you had a motherboard replacement due to failure.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2013 7:11:18 PM

getochkn said:
Windows 8 allows you to switch hardware. OEM versions of Windows 7 didn't allow it, but Windows 8 license is a lot more open and allows it no problem.

I'll give it a shot when it gets here, so it really doesn't matter that i got the system offline? I just remember hearing that makes a difference. Oh and do I need to do anything with the OS on the current mobo before I being installing the new mobo?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 7:25:27 PM

Hello... do you have the Windows software key written down?
Check/Look over your current hardware setting in the BIO's... harddrive communications modes... Cpu features turned on/off... ETC...
Personal Data backed up... Windows 8 custom/personal/colors/user... desktop file configuation backed up?
Network Communication settings written down?
m
l
January 16, 2013 7:29:06 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... do you have the Windows software key written down?

The product key is on a sticker on the side of my case, I'm not sure if that is what you meant, but I do think I have it :p 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 7:39:01 PM

wtfitsfeisty said:
I recently bought a sabertooth z77, I heard from some people that I couldn't "transfer" the OS i have on my current mobo to this new one. I'm currently using Windows 8, the computer was purchased from ibuypower. will i be able to move this OS to my new mobo, I'd hate to have to buy a new one. thank you :D 

I have done this with windows 7 many times.
But, I can't speak to windows 8.

You should be able to boot into windows after the motherboard change.
Then be prepared to install any drivers that came on the cd with your new motherboard.

You can reactivate using the activation code sticker on your pc.
In windows 7 oem, you may or may not have a problem.
I hope the previous poster is correct in that windows 8 no longer has the oem/retail distinction.
m
l
January 16, 2013 7:43:00 PM

geofelt said:
I have done this with windows 7 many times.
But, I can't speak to windows 8.

You should be able to boot into windows after the motherboard change.
Then be prepared to install any drivers that came on the cd with your new motherboard.

You can reactivate using the activation code sticker on your pc.
In windows 7 oem, you may or may not have a problem.
I hope the previous poster is correct in that windows 8 no longer has the oem/retail distinction.

I read in some thread that windows 8 doesn't have that limitation, well it does if its bought OEM I believe, the only problem is I don't know if its OEM or not since it was bought from ibuypower :/ 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 7:47:37 PM

wtfitsfeisty said:
I read in some thread that windows 8 doesn't have that limitation, well it does if its bought OEM I believe, the only problem is I don't know if its OEM or not since it was bought from ibuypower :/ 

Ibuypower is a oem, and most certainly did not pay extra for a retail license.
That would be a nice to optionally pay a bit more for a retail license.

At activation time MS tends to be lenient, particularly if you can convince them that you are not a pirate, and this copy is only being used on one pc.

And... Why are you replacing the motherboard?
m
l
January 16, 2013 7:53:19 PM

geofelt said:
Ibuypower is a oem, and most certainly did not pay extra for a retail license.
That would be a nice to optionally pay a bit more for a retail license.

At activation time MS tends to be lenient, particularly if you can convince them that you are not a pirate, and this copy is only being used on one pc.

And... Why are you replacing the motherboard?

I'm just stepping in to custom building.. I really wanted to build one of my own, but i caved and just got a pre-built fro what seemed like a decent price and since then i have been upgrading it since. honestly I just got a new mobo cause I have the money to as well the time to upgrade it XD

as for the retail license, should I just drop the $99 or so for a new copy or would doing that $40 upgrade to pro give me the retail license?

sorry for the butchered response, but I have already called them (when I first got the pc) to activate my OS, bad mistake huh?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 8:08:33 PM

Hello... All Oem's I've done for other people have been accepted with Windows 7, using the sticker Code on their computers...

Do you have another Hardrive to try your the sticker code on your machine? try a test on your own before wiping your Original drive?

Also... I have seen the Original Windows install, start up on the new motherboards... where driver updates were just needed.
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:18:41 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... All Oem's I've done for other people have been accepted with Windows 7, using the sticker Code on their computers...

Do you have another Hardrive to try your the sticker code on your machine? try a test on your own before wiping your Original drive?

Also... I have seen the Original Windows install, start up on the new motherboards... where driver updates were just needed.

I use an SSD for the boot drive, What i plan on trying is just switching out the Mobos and having my recovery usb stick in when I boot up the pc. I heard since I'm not messing with the SSD i should have no problem, but I don't know if the new mobo will cause a problem.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 8:49:43 PM

The Mb, may or not cause a problem drivers wise. Sometimes you can get away with swapping a MB on a running system and keep everything and it goes swimmingly, sometimes not. Usually it does when the chipset, SB, etc are close or the same. Going from an AMD board to an Intel board or something, not so good luck.

For everyone commenting on W7, this is W8. Go read the licensing to see what you're able to do with the different versions of W8. There is no more real "retial" version. OEM can be swapped, moved to a new PC, even transferred to a new owner if need be.
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:57:28 PM

getochkn said:
The Mb, may or not cause a problem drivers wise. Sometimes you can get away with swapping a MB on a running system and keep everything and it goes swimmingly, sometimes not. Usually it does when the chipset, SB, etc are close or the same. Going from an AMD board to an Intel board or something, not so good luck.

For everyone commenting on W7, this is W8. Go read the licensing to see what you're able to do with the different versions of W8. There is no more real "retial" version. OEM can be swapped, moved to a new PC, even transferred to a new owner if need be.

Getochkn, thanks for your help :D  I'm going to take a look and give it a shot, I really just wanted to avoid having to buy a new OS. hopefully everything should go swimmingly :p 
m
l

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 9:10:16 PM

License agreement transfer of license of Windows 8
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...

Here you go ^
January 16, 2013 9:25:25 PM

When did you buy the system? If you bought it after June 2, 2012 you can get an upgrade to windows 8 Pro for $14.99, just go to the website and register then download and save as ISO on to a disk then install.
m
l
January 16, 2013 9:32:04 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
License agreement transfer of license of Windows 8
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...

Here you go ^

Thank you for the link blackbird, answered my question after 15 seconds of reading :)  but you wouldn't happen to know the best steps for removing the OS prior to me switching the mobo? :D 
m
l
January 16, 2013 9:33:56 PM

littleleo said:
When did you buy the system? If you bought it after June 2, 2012 you can get an upgrade to windows 8 Pro for $14.99, just go to the website and register then download and save as ISO on to a disk then install.

I got the little piece of paper concerning, unfortunately I believe the cut off date for it was the 14th of this month and I'm not that bright XD
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 9:35:46 PM

You need to perform a clean install of windows 8 on the new computer.
m
l
January 16, 2013 9:39:20 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
You need to perform a clean install of windows 8 on the new computer.

well its just a new mobo, same everything. so just boot it up and use my usb recovery as the boot drive to do a re-install?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 9:45:25 PM

If that works best for you , that should be fine.
m
l
January 16, 2013 9:53:22 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
If that works best for you , that should be fine.

Well blackbird thank you again for the help. my question is answered, and I have a good idea of how to go about it :D 
m
l
January 16, 2013 9:53:48 PM

Best answer selected by Wtfitsfeisty.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 10:46:49 PM

wtfitsfeisty said:

You guys are all wrong, Microsoft activated my new motherboard for win 7 OEM, You need to phone MS directly.

You can argue all you want, I know different. I've got the email from MS stating do to hardware failure Your activation was accepted. Thank your for contacting Microsoft.

this was win 7 oem

Andre Da Costa
MVP Community Moderator
The CPU should not be restricted, its the motherboard. If you are replacing your motherboard because of a known failure under warranty, you should be able to to proceed with reinstalling the software and reactivate the license by telephone. Is this OEM pre-load (eg. Dell, Acer, HP) or System Builder OEM Pack of Windows 7?

Try using phone activation to reactivate the software:

How to activate Windows 7 manually
1) Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4
2) Next press the 'ENTER' key
3) Select your 'Country' from the list.
4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.
5) Stay on the phone and wait for a person to help you with activation and explain the circumstances.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 16, 2013 11:05:42 PM

gomerpile said:
You guys are all wrong, Microsoft activated my new motherboard for win 7 OEM, You need to phone MS directly.

You can argue all you want, I know different. I've got the email from MS stating do to hardware failure Your activation was accepted. Thank your for contacting Microsoft.

this was win 7 oem

Andre Da Costa
MVP Community Moderator
The CPU should not be restricted, its the motherboard. If you are replacing your motherboard because of a known failure under warranty, you should be able to to proceed with reinstalling the software and reactivate the license by telephone. Is this OEM pre-load (eg. Dell, Acer, HP) or System Builder OEM Pack of Windows 7?

5) Stay on the phone and wait for a person to help you with activation and explain the circumstances.

Yes MS will do it usually do it when you phone, even though it against the TOS. Usually they don't care, but they don't have to reactivate it. Your post even uses words like "know failure under warranty" and "due to hardware failure". In those case, they usually do it but THEY DON'T HAVE IT. You can argue all you want that because they did it for you, that applies to Microsoft and their TOS as a whole, but it doesn't. Upgrading your motherboard for no reason and not for "hardware failure under warranty" doesn't qualify for them reactivating your Windows. Again, they USUALLY will, but it's the policy set out in the TOS you agree to with an OEM version, so please, just because they did it for you, and even said, for hardware failure reasons, that doesn't cover upgrading your motherboard, building a new pc and installing it, selling it your friend, etc.
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:07:55 PM

gomerpile said:

this was win 7 oem

Andre Da Costa
MVP Community Moderator

Its, from what I know, an OEM of windows 8.

also and its stated on the licensing terms that I can transfer it, blackbird supplied me with the answer ^^

Quote:
You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.
quote from http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:13:59 PM

wtfitsfeisty said:

If you did not receive the Windows disk and code in a box then it is OEM code. All pre-built machines with windows already installed have OEM codes UNLESS built buy a system builder of your choice and specify you want a retail copy of windows. Not sure about Windows 8 because i have not tried to change a board like you want to do but OEM codes are tied to a specific mother board.
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:20:48 PM

bgunner said:
If you did not receive the Windows disk and code in a box then it is OEM code. All pre-built machines with windows already installed have OEM codes UNLESS built buy a system builder of your choice and specify you want a retail copy of windows. Not sure about Windows 8 because i have not tried to change a board like you want to do but OEM codes are tied to a specific mother board.

From what I've read on the terms of the licensing, it should be fine. Getochkn made a good point saying that there is no longer a retail version of win 8, I honestly believe it too. after looking on the site and terms you can only view the OEM stuff.

Quote:
Quote is from this thread.

I really think everything should run peachy keen. It'd be nice to be able to do it right now and have a definite answer and how i went about it. but at las my mobo wont be here for a day or too :( 
m
l
!