New mobo, still use same OS?

wtfitsfeisty

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I recently bought a sabertooth z77, I heard from some people that I couldn't "transfer" the OS i have on my current mobo to this new one. I'm currently using Windows 8, the computer was purchased from ibuypower. will i be able to move this OS to my new mobo, I'd hate to have to buy a new one. thank you :D

wtfitsfeisty

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

I'll give it a shot when it gets here, so it really doesn't matter that i got the system offline? I just remember hearing that makes a difference. Oh and do I need to do anything with the OS on the current mobo before I being installing the new mobo?

Hello... do you have the Windows software key written down?
Check/Look over your current hardware setting in the BIO's... harddrive communications modes... Cpu features turned on/off... ETC...
Personal Data backed up... Windows 8 custom/personal/colors/user... desktop file configuation backed up?
Network Communication settings written down?

wtfitsfeisty

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

The product key is on a sticker on the side of my case, I'm not sure if that is what you meant, but I do think I have it :p

I have done this with windows 7 many times.
But, I can't speak to windows 8.

You should be able to boot into windows after the motherboard change.
Then be prepared to install any drivers that came on the cd with your new motherboard.

You can reactivate using the activation code sticker on your pc.
In windows 7 oem, you may or may not have a problem.
I hope the previous poster is correct in that windows 8 no longer has the oem/retail distinction.

wtfitsfeisty

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

I read in some thread that windows 8 doesn't have that limitation, well it does if its bought OEM I believe, the only problem is I don't know if its OEM or not since it was bought from ibuypower :/

Ibuypower is a oem, and most certainly did not pay extra for a retail license.
That would be a nice to optionally pay a bit more for a retail license.

At activation time MS tends to be lenient, particularly if you can convince them that you are not a pirate, and this copy is only being used on one pc.

And... Why are you replacing the motherboard?

wtfitsfeisty

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

I'm just stepping in to custom building.. I really wanted to build one of my own, but i caved and just got a pre-built fro what seemed like a decent price and since then i have been upgrading it since. honestly I just got a new mobo cause I have the money to as well the time to upgrade it XD

as for the retail license, should I just drop the $99 or so for a new copy or would doing that $40 upgrade to pro give me the retail license?

sorry for the butchered response, but I have already called them (when I first got the pc) to activate my OS, bad mistake huh?

Hello... All Oem's I've done for other people have been accepted with Windows 7, using the sticker Code on their computers...

Do you have another Hardrive to try your the sticker code on your machine? try a test on your own before wiping your Original drive?

Also... I have seen the Original Windows install, start up on the new motherboards... where driver updates were just needed.

wtfitsfeisty

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

I use an SSD for the boot drive, What i plan on trying is just switching out the Mobos and having my recovery usb stick in when I boot up the pc. I heard since I'm not messing with the SSD i should have no problem, but I don't know if the new mobo will cause a problem.

The Mb, may or not cause a problem drivers wise. Sometimes you can get away with swapping a MB on a running system and keep everything and it goes swimmingly, sometimes not. Usually it does when the chipset, SB, etc are close or the same. Going from an AMD board to an Intel board or something, not so good luck.

For everyone commenting on W7, this is W8. Go read the licensing to see what you're able to do with the different versions of W8. There is no more real "retial" version. OEM can be swapped, moved to a new PC, even transferred to a new owner if need be.

wtfitsfeisty

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Getochkn, thanks for your help :D I'm going to take a look and give it a shot, I really just wanted to avoid having to buy a new OS. hopefully everything should go swimmingly :p

wtfitsfeisty

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

I got the little piece of paper concerning, unfortunately I believe the cut off date for it was the 14th of this month and I'm not that bright XD

wtfitsfeisty

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

well its just a new mobo, same everything. so just boot it up and use my usb recovery as the boot drive to do a re-install?

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

You guys are all wrong, Microsoft activated my new motherboard for win 7 OEM, You need to phone MS directly.

You can argue all you want, I know different. I've got the email from MS stating do to hardware failure Your activation was accepted. Thank your for contacting Microsoft.

this was win 7 oem

Andre Da Costa
MVP Community Moderator
The CPU should not be restricted, its the motherboard. If you are replacing your motherboard because of a known failure under warranty, you should be able to to proceed with reinstalling the software and reactivate the license by telephone. Is this OEM pre-load (eg. Dell, Acer, HP) or System Builder OEM Pack of Windows 7?

Try using phone activation to reactivate the software:

How to activate Windows 7 manually
1) Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4
2) Next press the 'ENTER' key
3) Select your 'Country' from the list.
4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.
5) Stay on the phone and wait for a person to help you with activation and explain the circumstances.