530 Watt PSU and GTX 465

Hello,I have a RAIDMAX RX-530SS PSU and I am looking to buy a Galaxy GeForce GTX 465 (Newegg item #: N82E16814162052). Would it work or should I stick to another Graphics Card?

EDIT: 530 watt PSU. Not 550.
20 answers Last reply
More about watt
  1. Raidmax is crap, if it were on a high quality psu it is possible but I wouldn't count on it.
  2. Yeah, it'll most likely not work.
  3. Technically from a specifications point of view it would work,depending on the rest of your PC.Although i'm going to have to agree with everyone else and reccomend you buy a new PSU.A GTX465 can be quite a power hog and you would want nice clean efficient power for it.

Intresting how their marketing the GTX465 now.Selling the card for $50 less but it's more powerful than the GTX460.
  4. For a system with a single GeForce GTX 465 graphics card a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply with a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors is recommended.

Your Raidmax HYBRID SERIES RX-530SS power supply unit with its maximum +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps is unable to properly power a system with a single GeForce GTX 465 graphics card.
  5. Would it be beneficial buying this card where it might not work or get a card with less performance like the GTX 550 Ti that would definitely work?
  6. I think the GTX550ti would be better in terms of power.It use's about 90 watts less than a GTX465 and your PSU should be able to run it.

What are the rest of your system specs?
  7. purple stank said:
    I think the GTX550ti would be better in terms of power.It use's about 90 watts less than a GTX465 and your PSU should be able to run it.

What are the rest of your system specs?

I have a Phenom II X4 965 @ OC'd 3.6Ghz, a MSI 880GMA-E55 motherboard, and 2 x 2GB G.SKILL RAM.
  8. What resoultion is your monitor?
  9. Its 1080p
  10. Hmm.At that resoultion your going to need a powerful card to be able to get playable frame rates with good graphics.

What games are you looking to play?
  11. You are in a bind and any thing less than a gtx460/465 isn't going to cut it at that ress and at the same time your psu is holding you back. Either settle for something that uses less power or dig deeper and get the card you want along with a new but better psu.
  12. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518

On sale this weekend for $125, if you can pull together enough cash you will be much happier with this than a 550ti.
  13. What about a Radeon HD 6850. It is a little more expensive, but doesn't require as much power?
  14. It uses a lot less power and even the 6870 which can use more power can only max out at 151w under max overclocking. You can look up the vrm and tdp specs of most cards out there rather easily.
  15. I would go with the 6850 as the max for your PSU.Something like a GTX460 or higher will require you to get a bigger/better PSU.
  16. I disagree that a 460 would require a better PSU, a 465 definately would, but the 460s listed requirement is only 450w with a minumum of 24A on the 12v rail.
  17. So if I get a GTX 460 and it fries my PSU. What would I have to replace?
  18. The psu if nothing more else. You were warning that this might turn out so well.
  19. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am definitely getting the GTX 460 and I hopefully will not have to get a new power supply. Wish me luck. :D
  20. Good luck

PS the 460 will save you a little on the power bill ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Raidmax Graphics Product