Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Boot
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2011 12:23:23 AM

I've had my computer for about 2 or 3 weeks now and occasionally for no particular reason my computer will just freeze and the screen goes black and needs to be restarted. Sometimes after clicking the reset button it starts but normally like nothing happened but some of the times it starts booting up then shuts down and boots back up again. I check my CPU temp and it says its running around 30 degrees C so i don't know if it was the CPU overheating or what. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

More about : freezes randomly shuts boot

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 219 à CPUs
October 13, 2011 12:51:41 AM

Are you running Windows 7 ? What are your spec's. If you are able to load windows go to the action center and start the trouble shooter and see what it says.
m
l
October 13, 2011 12:58:06 AM

Specs:
CPU: I5 2500k
GPU: Asus ENGTX 460 Direct CU
PSU: earthwatts 650W
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Ram: G-SKill 8 gb
CPU cooler: coolermaster 212+

And the action center doesnt say anything that helps.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2011 1:14:31 AM

If it is restarts during boot before even starting to load Windows you are looking at a hardware problem. Try going through the steps in this guide, particularly check your GPU temperature and test your RAM with Memtest.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

I've also read around this forums that Gigabyte motherboards tend to dislike some USB devices and cause problems like the one you have, try to unplug everything and then test one by one the components maybe you'll find the problem.
m
l
October 13, 2011 1:38:22 AM

It doesnt typically restart during boot. only sometimes when my computer locks up when im using it and the screen goes black. I have done everything on that checklist and all the temps on my computer are normal. the gpu is also around 30 degrees C. I will have to test my ram and i only use 2 of the usb ports but i switched one of them so we'll see if that helps at all.
m
l
!