Sign in with
Your question

Switched from AMD to Intel without sysprepping, or downloading new drivers...

Last response: in Motherboards
November 8, 2012 9:12:16 PM

So today I took out my old CPU and Mobo that was AMD and switched it with new Intel ones. I didn't make any preparations beforehand because a few of my computer savvy friends said that as long as I had the drivers handy I'd be fine. Well they were wrong. I installed the new hardware correctly but Windows 7 is unable to boot, and it asks me to do a repair, which I tried, but obviously nothing happened. Am I royally screwed or do I just need to reinstall Windows?
November 8, 2012 9:46:51 PM

Also, will reinstalling W7 from a USB erase my old files? I can't back them up because I don't have access to the hdd because the OS won't boot, but if I don't choose to format the drive I'm installing it on (isn't there a 'reinstall' option anyway?) will it still wipe anything?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
a c 264 V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 10:23:58 PM

You should be able to boot from your original windows 7 dvd and attempt a repair.
Then, use the cd that came with your new motherboard and install the chipset drivers from that cd.
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2012 1:30:48 AM

Alright sounds good, I was hoping it'd be simple like that. I'm relatively new to building pc's and have never run into this situation before. Thanks for the help!

m
l
a b \ Driver
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
a c 264 V Motherboard
November 9, 2012 3:45:37 PM

Dos Zombie said:
Alright sounds good, I was hoping it'd be simple like that. I'm relatively new to building pc's and have never run into this situation before. Thanks for the help!

Post your results good/bad.
m
l
November 20, 2012 3:28:21 PM

geofelt said:
Post your results good/bad.

It went well, all I did was put the new hardware in, then use the USB to reinstall Windows and have it put my old "version" into the Windows.old then ran the disk from my Mobo.

Only trouble I had was I got a CPU power cable confused with the 8-pin PCI cable and freaked out, but soon noticed my trivial mistake. Also, I just reinstalled all my old programs just to be safe, instead of going around and copy/pasting stuff. My Skyrim Mods however remained intact without any copy-pasting at all, which was weird.
m
l
November 23, 2012 3:58:35 AM

Yes. New Mobo's do not register with Windows well. Which sucks really.
m
l
!