Sign in with
Your question

X-Fi HD USB Volume Control doesn't work.

Last response: in Components
January 12, 2012 3:41:00 PM

I just got my X-Fi HD USB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) yesterday and although it appears to have installed correctly and sounds amazing, the volume knob on the front of the box itself doesn't work. I already consulted Creative about this and all they did was give me a useless link to a page for installing PCI cards and a bunch of suggestions on making sure I installed it in the first place.

I am running with windows XP but will be switching to 7 soon and really just hope it's a problem with the drivers and the OS. Anyone got any suggestions or should I RMA it?
January 12, 2012 4:35:38 PM

There isn't much that you can do about installation since it is a self contained unit and the volume control is on the unit. Whenyou say that it sounds amazing are you able to control the volume in any way , from the taskbar? If you raise the volume on the computers taskbar and in any software on your computer are you then able to control the volume on the unit, you want to have full volume going into the unit so it can control what comes out of it. If after trying everything you may have to do a RMA.
m
l
January 12, 2012 4:46:00 PM

inzone said:
There isn't much that you can do about installation since it is a self contained unit and the volume control is on the unit. Whenyou say that it sounds amazing are you able to control the volume in any way , from the taskbar? If you raise the volume on the computers taskbar and in any software on your computer are you then able to control the volume on the unit, you want to have full volume going into the unit so it can control what comes out of it. If after trying everything you may have to do a RMA.

I am able to control the volume through windows and the software that came with it (the two are linked together) and it works just fine to the point that I could just deal with it. My feeling is though that I spent almost $100 on this and I need it to be working completely.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2012 4:57:28 PM

I agree , you should not have to keep something that is defective and Newegg is just outstanding when it comes to RMA's , but you will have to pay for one way of the shipping. Before you do the RMA you do want to go over everything to make sure that you are not missing anything. So like I said before if you turned everything up on the computer you still can't get the control knob to majke an adjustment in the volume? In the software that came with it there is no option to have the unit control volume? In control panel is the sound device selected the X-Fi device?
m
l
January 12, 2012 5:01:11 PM

Of course if you do the RMA and you get the replacement connected up and you have the same issue then you will know that there is something that needs to be adjusted. That's just speculation at this point so you can deal with that when the time comes.
m
l
January 18, 2012 10:15:42 PM

After getting my new windows 7 machine up and running I can say that the knob is working and that it not doing so before was just a fluke probably caused by botched driver installs long past or any combination of bad factors in the old computer.
m
l
!