Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

After bulldozer fail, thinking about this for my gaming rig ($1250).

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 13, 2011 1:12:48 AM

My budget is semi flexible. ($1k - $1250)
Was hoping to stay around $1k but recent articles on benefits of SSds really prompted me to go for an SSD in my next build, and there's no way i'm having a drive smaller than 120gig, so i guess my budget is now about $1200.

I'm looking for a gaming rig. So Gaming and I'm a programmer by trade so do some programming (mainly in VS), and then it's pretty much web-surfing, netflix watching, etc...

Current monitor maxes at 1080p.
Don't need keyboard, mouse, monitor.
Do need a wireless card.

My current build which I think is pretty solid. Definitely open to your opinions.
Let me know what you think...
1) Do you think i should wait for IVY-BRIDGE? I can afford to wait another 6 months if i need to.
2) Don't care about blu-ray at this point, that's what i have TVs for, and if i really need one down the road, i can throw one in
3) Graphics card (was debating getting a 6870, and then buying another for crossfire in 1 year), but i could do the same with the 6950 1gb i have below...

Okay my build:
1 Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $69.99
1 ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $124.99
1 XFX HD-695X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP with Eyefinity $249.99
1 CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified $104.99 [updated from coolermaster due to feed back]
1 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor $219.99
1 Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3A-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $179.99 [updated from Samsung due to feed back]
1 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL $49.99 [updated from blue to red due to feed back on blue being $20 more expensive]

1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $79.99 [stuck with WD because have had 0 issues with there drives ever]
1 SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB - OE $16.99
1 ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express 150/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter $27.99
1 COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler $34.99 [updated from Hyper 212 due to feed back]

Subtotal: $1,161.89
Related resources
October 13, 2011 1:24:32 PM

the corsair is SATA III, the Samsung is SATA II, so the corsair is faster for the same price.

the evo is an update of thre hyper 212+ with better contact with the CPU
October 13, 2011 1:50:56 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
the corsair is SATA III, the Samsung is SATA II, so the corsair is faster for the same price.

the evo is an update of thre hyper 212+ with better contact with the CPU


and slightly higher CFM fan :D 
October 13, 2011 8:43:12 PM

I don't like Cooler Master PSUs...they aren't considered top-tier. Here's a Corsair TX750v2 for $105 before a $15 mail-in-rebate. There's also a 10% off code that expires on 10/19.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$79.50 after all is said and done....can't beat that for a quality 750 watt unit.
October 13, 2011 9:45:13 PM

nd_hunter said:
I don't like Cooler Master PSUs...they aren't considered top-tier. Here's a Corsair TX750v2 for $105 before a $15 mail-in-rebate. There's also a 10% off code that expires on 10/19.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$79.50 after all is said and done....can't beat that for a quality 750 watt unit.


The silent pro's are very solid Psu's but at that price it's ridiculous to consider. the 1200watter silent pro DID get a 9/10 at jonnyguru but corsair frequently gets better than that. Either i stick with your recommendation of the tx750v2 or corsairs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
gs 700 for slightly more. Antec just doesn't have anything cheap at 750watts and seasonic offers a little more quality but at a very high price premium.
Also to OP why's the X series ram $70? The blue one is 70, the exact same X series red one is $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
if you don't like red.. g skill sniper for $50 too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you decided you gotta have blue..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
x series 1600mhz 1.35v $60 blue..
g skill 1.25V 1600mhz also for $60 (If you dont care about looks get 1 of the $50 ones)

good luck :) 
October 13, 2011 11:07:28 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
the corsair is SATA III, the Samsung is SATA II, so the corsair is faster for the same price.

the evo is an update of thre hyper 212+ with better contact with the CPU


Thanks, went with both of your suggestions and updated my build.
I stuck with the WD drive because I've only ever had WD drives and have never had one fail or give me issues, ever.
October 13, 2011 11:08:55 PM

nd_hunter said:
I don't like Cooler Master PSUs...they aren't considered top-tier. Here's a Corsair TX750v2 for $105 before a $15 mail-in-rebate. There's also a 10% off code that expires on 10/19.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$79.50 after all is said and done....can't beat that for a quality 750 watt unit.


Thanks, with the CoolerMaster i was paying for the Gold cert, but i'm good with the Bronze 750watt Corsair for $45 less.
(i'm too lazy to apply for mail in rebates, so never fill them out).
Updated my build
October 13, 2011 11:11:11 PM

vibhas said:
The silent pro's are very solid Psu's but at that price it's ridiculous to consider. the 1200watter silent pro DID get a 9/10 at jonnyguru but corsair frequently gets better than that. Either i stick with your recommendation of the tx750v2 or corsairs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
gs 700 for slightly more. Antec just doesn't have anything cheap at 750watts and seasonic offers a little more quality but at a very high price premium.
Also to OP why's the X series ram $70? The blue one is 70, the exact same X series red one is $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
if you don't like red.. g skill sniper for $50 too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you decided you gotta have blue..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
x series 1600mhz 1.35v $60 blue..
g skill 1.25V 1600mhz also for $60 (If you dont care about looks get 1 of the $50 ones)

good luck :) 


I went with the corsair 750.
And thanks for the info about the RAM!!! I didn't know they were selling the same RAM in a diff color for cheaper.
Don't really care about color, especially since this case has no window.
October 14, 2011 1:34:56 AM

crucial is the best brand for ssd at the moment, u will not get a doa or problems with them, They are Safe.
!