Solved

My New Build

Hi, I know I have been talking about this "build" for a while, but now I am finally selling my computer on Monday. (most likely)

I think that this build looks pretty good, but I am on a strict $710 budget. I will mainly use this for gaming, but I want it to be future-proof. I think this is just about the perfect build for me, but I wanted to check with my buddies down here at tom's. :)

Here it is:

Thermaltake v9 blacX case (red) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133183

ECS Black Deluxe SLi motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133183

PC Power and Cooling 650w Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703026

Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7,200 RPM Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Asus Burner Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

And now for the goodies: :)

Intel Core i5 2500k

Patriot 8gb 1600mhz RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.747662

ASUS GTX 460 1gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391

I will be playing games such as BF3, CoD:BO, SC2, BFBC2, etc. I think this is a pretty good set up for $710 and should have many upgrade options. Does it all look good?
29 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build
  1. For a 700 dollar build, I'd at least go with a 6870 in the very least. Also, fill this out http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
  2. You didn't link to the motherboard and I don't know what an ECS Black Deluxe SLI motherboard is.

    Maybe think about a more reliable brand for your PSU. Corsair's Enthusiast series is really nice
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
    You might also want to think about a modular PSU. The performance isn't different, but that knot of cables is annoying.

    One last thing - I know you're going for the ram package deal, but sandy bridge recommends 1.5V RAM and the units you picked are 1.65V.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006127%20600006157%20600000261&IsNodeId=1&name=1.5V
  3. Sorry, here is the motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135283 Accidentally linked the case. :lol: Also, for the GPU, I can't spend any more, that is why I went with a GTX 460 in hopes of overclocking it to the speed of an HD6870. For the RAM, I will see what I can do. Should I grab a GTX 460 HAWK by MSI, a AMD FX 6100 and a GIGABYTE 990FX UD3? The AMD FX series wasn't as good as I expected, so I went with a core i5 2500k.
  4. Also, PC Power and Cooling is right up there with Corsair, I have heard that it is better. Check it's stats, 80 plus silver, 650w on just the 12v. It can support 780w in all. My monitor res is only 1280 x 1024, so I don't think I actually NEED a hd6870.
  5. Best answer
    Yeah, the donut speaks true. You pretty much know what you're doing though. I'd get a better motherboard brand.
  6. cutebeans said:
    Yeah, the donut speaks true. You pretty much know what you're doing though. I'd get a better motherboard brand.

    Yeah, I know that ECS isn't the best, but I couldn't find a better motherboard for that price. I cannot spend over $711 strict. It is there black series board which is supposed to have great quality and a good RMA processes, so I decided I would go with it. Everything I saw from it sounded great, so I picked that one. If there is a better board, please tell me! I would love to know for $125.
  7. I cant seem to find your board. Are you going for the SLI route?

    If not :(
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157251
  8. HostileDonut said:
    Yeah, I know that ECS isn't the best, but I couldn't find a better motherboard for that price. I cannot spend over $711 strict. It is there black series board which is supposed to have great quality and a good RMA processes, so I decided I would go with it. Everything I saw from it sounded great, so I picked that one. If there is a better board, please tell me! I would love to know for $125.


    You could always go Intel with ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 and i3-2100. Would leave some nice room to sneak a better GPU in there.
  9. AdrianPerry said:
    You could always go Intel with ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 and i3-2100. Would leave some nice room to sneak a better GPU in there.

    Well, I want a core i5 and overclockablity. But yeah, that would work if I didn't want a core i5. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! :)
  10. HostileDonut said:
    Well, I want a core i5 and overclockablity. But yeah, that would work if I didn't want a core i5. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! :)


    It's not "ideal" but you could run with on-board graphics until you can afford a better GPU. It's a better solution than rushing in and buying something that wont perform to your needs.
  11. AdrianPerry said:
    It's not "ideal" but you could run with on-board graphics until you can afford a better GPU. It's a better solution than rushing in and buying something that wont perform to your needs.

    I can still afford a GTX 460 1gb with my core i5 2500k. I would run SLi later. I would never run an iGP.
  12. iGP's are for noobs! :lol: ;)
  13. HostileDonut said:
    I can still afford a GTX 460 1gb with my core i5 2500k. I would run SLi later. I would never run an iGP.


    I think 6870 is better than GTX 460 and at the same price range?
  14. I'd get a cheaper case and 500gb harddrive just to cut costs.
  15. AdrianPerry said:
    I think 6870 is better than GTX 460 and at the same price range?

    No, they are different prices, or like I said, I would have picked the hd6870. I had to go with the GTX 460 because of money issues.
  16. cutebeans said:
    I'd get a cheaper case and 500gb harddrive just to cut costs.

    That case is pretty cheap at $60, and I would like a fairly quick drive, and I couldn't find a cheaper 500gb drive that had 32mb or more cache.
  17. Okay, here is the big question, besides small things like a case, HDD, and something I can't afford like a hd6870, does the build look good for MY price range? I think it has great components for overclocking, upgrade-ability, SLi, more HDDs etc. I think the GPU will work well with my monitor too. 1280 x 1024. Is there any changes I should make besides the case, HDD? Because in my eyes, those are great choices. I will not change them. And please, enough about the GPU, it costs too much!
  18. Oh, you're only running it at 1280 x1024? A 6870 would be plenty.
  19. HostileDonut said:
    Well, I want a core i5 and overclockablity. But yeah, that would work if I didn't want a core i5. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! :)

    That's an expensive board for your budget. Like the poster Adrian Perry pointed out... the Asrock extreme 3 would be a much better fit for your budget.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271 $124.99
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3 <----- a better look at that board

    http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/ <----- PCI-E 3.0

    Save some money and get that board @ superbiiz along with the cpu.

    http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-Z68E3G3 $124.99 Free Shipping
    ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 LGA1155

    http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=I5-2500KBX $214.99 Free Shipping 10% off your order (max $10) w/ code: HOOT, ends 10/17
    Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB LGA1155 CPU, Retail - BX80623I52500K

    Also that old school 1.65v Patriot RAM you have up there isn't much good for these 1155 boards seeing how it has a tendency to screw up the controller. The manufactures recommend 1.5v RAM. And on your budget for a gaming build, why mess with 8GB of RAM?

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TPI42I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER $29.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 4 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM BL2CP25664BA160A
  20. Why_Me said:
    That's an expensive board for your budget. Like the poster Adrian Perry pointed out... the Asrock extreme 3 would be a much better fit for your budget.


    To be fair, that ECS board is only $125 after rebate (just noticed). Never heard of them before though, no idea of quality/features. The GEN3 ASRock Board I'm sure would be a better choice.
  21. AdrianPerry said:
    To be fair, that ECS board is only $125 after rebate (just noticed). Never heard of them before though, no idea of quality/features. The GEN3 ASRock Board I'm sure would be a better choice.

    If and when you ever get a rebate back in the mail here in the US is like making a wager on next weeks weather.
  22. Why_Me said:
    If and when you ever get a rebate back in the mail here in the US is like making a wager on next weeks weather.


    Oh I didn't realise it worked quite like that :) UK-based here. I presumed rebate was a "sure thing" which was why it made certain products more appealing - almost like an "offer" or "sale" price. Surely companies could be sued for false advertising? (if they didn't provide the rebate offered at time of purchase) Or does it not work quite like that either?
  23. AdrianPerry said:
    Oh I didn't realise it worked quite like that :) UK-based here. I presumed rebate was a "sure thing" which was why it made certain products more appealing - almost like an "offer" or "sale" price. Surely companies could be sued for false advertising? (if they didn't provide the rebate offered at time of purchase) Or does it not work quite like that either?

    You would think, but somehow companies like OCZ (worst ever rebate policy) do anything and everything to screw you out of your rebate (fine print). They make excuses until you just give up, and if you do get your rebate from them it's usually months down the road. I would take free shipping over a rebate any day of the week.
  24. Well, thanks for the suggestions, but the board is $125 after MIR and I have heard that people got there MIRs and that the quality of the board is fantastic. Also, that RAM is meant for p67 boards, so I think it will be fine. I will find out though. I was looking at the ASROCK board before, but it had shipping and I am on a strict budget. I am $.09 away from making my budget. :lol: So I am pretty sure that the RAM will work with the board. I will be sure to read some more reviews though.
  25. HostileDonut said:
    Well, thanks for the suggestions, but the board is $125 after MIR and I have heard that people got there MIRs and that the quality of the board is fantastic. Also, that RAM is meant for p67 boards, so I think it will be fine. I will find out though. I was looking at the ASROCK board before, but it had shipping and I am on a strict budget. I am $.09 away from making my budget. :lol: So I am pretty sure that the RAM will work with the board. I will be sure to read some more reviews though.

    I don't understand why you even started a thread on here. Seriously. This thread is a total waste of time. I posted that board with free shipping, and it's twice the board as thet ECS or whatever brand. If you don't want to take good advice, no need to start a thread on here.
  26. Why_Me said:
    I don't understand why you even started a thread on here. Seriously. This thread is a total waste of time. I posted that board with free shipping, and it's twice the board as thet ECS or whatever brand. If you don't want to take good advice, no need to start a thread on here.


    Yeah, I'm pretty sure every suggestion has been categorically rejected. Not sure what we're all doing here.
  27. I wanted to order it all from Newegg, so If there was something I didn't need or cheaper RAM, GPU, etc, I wanted to know what is was. Different PSU, things like that. Not something that will make me go over my budget. Basically every suggestion required more money that I didn't have. So, low and behold, I denied them. If there was nothing to perfect on the price range, great. I love it, that means I did a good job picking hardware. So I guess that is what it comes to. Thanks for the help guys.
  28. Best answer selected by HostileDonut.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product