Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecellman

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hi, I just recently built a budget system, and I wanted to upgrade from integrated graphics to a Radeon Hd 6870 or a 6850 but I don't know if my psu is enough.
My specs are:
Amd Phenom 2 x4 840 (95w tdp)
4gb DDR3 1333 Mushkin Silverline RAM
Biostar A880G+ Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
My psu is an Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-400 400W power supply. I do plan on upgrading the psu later on, but for the moment should this be enough?
Thank you :)

Solution
For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Your Antec High Current Gamer Series 400W (HCG-400), with its maximum +12 Volt continuous...

bluecellman

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I was wondering because the 6870 has a recommended rating of 500w, but on the system builder marathon here, the system with a 6870 in it used a total of less then 300, so a 400w for sure is safe? I don't know much about power supplies :/

bluecellman

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I just need to know if it'll work for about a month without frying or anything. The Antec 400w I have is from an older build, and I wanted to use it for a while until I could get around to buying a 500w. I don't plan on overclocking if it means anything lol.

At the wall aka AC, now convert to DC to get the actual load on the psu
Using the September build / overclocked
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock-graphics-card,3032-14.html
rough math
317w AC with cpu and gpu under load
~84% efficiency at that level
317 * .84 = 266.28 watts DC running power viruses

A 400 watt psu like yours can handle a 65% load without a problem, other than needing to use a power adapter for the card , till you upgrade it.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Your Antec High Current Gamer Series 400W (HCG-400), with its maximum +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient for a system running with a single Radeon HD 6850. It is deficient by one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector for use with a single Radeon HD 6870 unless you resort to using a dual 4-pin Molex peripheral connector to 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector dongle.

Solution

You'll be fine with a 6850.
The 6870 requires two PCI-E connectors,your psu only has one,you'd need an adapter.(something i wouldn't do)

Status
Not open for further replies.