Sign in with
Your question

Can I run DDR3 at 1.8 volts without damaging anything?

Last response: in Memory
November 9, 2012 12:16:47 AM

I just made an ultra cheap build had numerous problems until I increased the memory voltage from 1.6 to 1.8 volts. Now everything seems fine. I have searched everywhere and can't seem to find if that is an OK voltage to use. I have seen that increasing DIMM voltage can cause a lot of problems on newer intel systems and people just seem to say that AMD systems don't have that same kind of problem, but don't say an upper limit.

more details:
The voltage required according to the sticker on the ram is 1.5. My motherboard only does 1.6, 1.8, and I think 1.9. One stick works fine at 1.6. When i use the other stick at 1.6 or both at once, downloads are often corrupted, I have frequent program crashes. The reported voltage is actually almost a full volt less than where I set it(or software).

I could RMA the memory, but I only paid $19 for it and judging my the reviews, people often get memory in return that doesn't perform to spec anyways. If the 1.8 volts will likely damage my system, I will RMA it, but if not I will continue to use it unless I see problems crop up.

Another odd thing is that there were no errors detected in memtest. I probably ran it for a total of 14 hours. The problems in the operating system were repeatable though. with the "bad" stick in, had numerous problems. Without it none and when running at 1.8 volts no problems so far.

System:
Phenom II x945
ECS A960M-M3 AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1333ELK
GTS 450 graphics
a b } Memory
November 9, 2012 12:25:58 AM

i suggest u move this to the Overclockin section since thats what u are asking about
m
l
November 9, 2012 1:15:40 AM

Put your rams command rate to 2T this improves stability.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 9, 2012 1:45:44 AM

i am trying to run at stock clocks and timings, but it would make sense that the overclocking community would know more about harm from high voltage.

I'll try 2t
m
l
a b } Memory
November 9, 2012 1:51:56 AM

Usually overclocking ram has a limit at 1.65v... I haven't ever seen an overclock at 1.8 - that doesn't mean it's breaking everything, but... I dunno. I'm not sure I wouldn't be very scared of doing that.
m
l
!