Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

430w or 500w?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 12, 2012 5:20:17 PM

Alright well I decided it would be best to buy a new PSU to get a higher end video card (6670 for 100$ or 550 Ti for 120$ just need a new PSU) but now I cant decide if I should get 430w or 500w Im looking at the Corsair CX430/CX500 here is my system

Intel G620 2.6GHz Dual-core
6GB DDR3 RAM
7200 RPM 1TB Harddrive
DVD-RW
Motherboard is just a premade micro
USB Wireless Adapter
(Want to add) ECS GTX 550Ti

Thanks for any suggestions!

Also my case (its a prebuilt PC but a fairly large case) has an ATX PSU in it so is there any problem putting in an ATX12V or is that just a newer version?

More about : 430w 500w

Best solution

a c 274 ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 5:39:51 PM

Either one of those Corsair units will run a decent entry level gaming card.
The 500w for more flexibilty.
I'd buy a 6770 or 6790 over the cards you mention.
Share
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 5:46:26 PM

I'd say get the cx430 and buy a 6850 for much better performance than the 550ti.

don't buy the 550 ti either way.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 274 ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 5:49:26 PM

^+1 i agree the 550ti is a dud.
Score
0
January 12, 2012 5:58:19 PM

Best answer selected by bwathke.
Score
0
a c 1172 ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 5:58:20 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6670 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 22 Amps or greater.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

The Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2), with its maximum +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient for a system using any of the three graphics cards mentioned so far. This power supply unit will fit in your consumer desktop's case with no problem.
Score
0
January 12, 2012 5:59:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions but I havent had fun times with AMD and Ive had no problems with Nvidia cards so Im sticking to them =)
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 6:00:56 PM

try to get a 460 then. the 550 ti is a pos.
Score
0
a c 274 ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 6:03:08 PM

esrever said:
try to get a 460 then. the 550 ti is a pos.

You're a mind reader and know you're stuff lol!
That would be my recommendation also:) 
Score
0
January 12, 2012 6:13:46 PM

EDIT: Read the wrong one on accident but this still leaves the GTX 460 using a lot more power, would the 430 handle it?
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 6:21:06 PM

the 430 will handle it.
The radeons are much better price/performance tho.
Score
0
January 12, 2012 6:22:31 PM

bwathke said:
Alright well I decided it would be best to buy a new PSU to get a higher end video card (6670 for 100$ or 550 Ti for 120$ just need a new PSU) but now I cant decide if I should get 430w or 500w Im looking at the Corsair CX430/CX500 here is my system

Intel G620 2.6GHz Dual-core
6GB DDR3 RAM
7200 RPM 1TB Harddrive
DVD-RW
Motherboard is just a premade micro
USB Wireless Adapter
(Want to add) ECS GTX 550Ti

Thanks for any suggestions!

Also my case (its a prebuilt PC but a fairly large case) has an ATX PSU in it so is there any problem putting in an ATX12V or is that just a newer version?


When ever you buy a power supply you don't wanna buy a cheap one
Corsair are good, but the thing with corsair one gives you one X 1 +12v rails, Cooler master got a 500 walts $40.00 dollars w/ $10.00 rebate if you want that one, and it come with 2 +12v rails.
It's up to you, I'm just saying i like both PSU company but you can get more from your money.
- Computertechs
Score
0
January 12, 2012 6:27:52 PM

computertechs said:
When ever you buy a power supply you don't wanna buy a cheap one
Corsair are good, but the thing with corsair one gives you one X 1 +12v rails, Cooler master got a 500 walts $40.00 dollars w/ $10.00 rebate if you want that one, and it come with 2 +12v rails.
It's up to you, I'm just saying i like both PSU company but you can get more from your money.
- Computertechs


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Are you talking about that one? I heard that Corsair was a good brand but never heard about many others, thats the same price as the CX430 and looks a lot better should I go with that?
Score
0
a c 274 ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 6:35:43 PM

bwathke said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Are you talking about that one? I heard that Corsair was a good brand but never heard about many others, thats the same price as the CX430 and looks a lot better should I go with that?

Buy a Corsair! Most low end CM's are junk,(the GX450 is an exception)especially that particular unit JUNK= notice the red voltage switch = old outdated crap
Go with 500W Corsair for best gpu compatability = has two PCI-E connectors
Good budget units = one PCI-E 6pin
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
Budget units 2 x PCI-E
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
Score
0
a c 1172 ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 6:46:48 PM

Cooler Master's Extreme Power Plus Series and Elite Power Series are absolute crap. Don't waste your money buying it because you'll just have to replace it anyway.
Score
0
a c 1172 ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 8:04:11 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 460 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Cooler Master GX Series 450W (RS450-ACAAD3-US), with its maximum +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps and one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, meets the electrical requirement but not the PCI Express connector requirement.

Is Cooler Master the only brand that you have available to you where you live?
Score
0
January 12, 2012 8:08:45 PM

ko888 said:
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 460 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Cooler Master GX Series 450W (RS450-ACAAD3-US), with its maximum +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps and one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, meets the electrical requirement but not the PCI Express connector requirement.

Is Cooler Master the only brand that you have available to you where you live?


No that is just what people were suggesting I would be ordering these things online somewhere, the only place I have near me is Bestbuy and they charge a LOT more then sites like Newegg... Im open to any brand of PSUs

EDIT: The corsair CX 500w is on sale right now should I go for that?
Score
0
January 12, 2012 10:26:20 PM

bwathke said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Are you talking about that one? I heard that Corsair was a good brand but never heard about many others, thats the same price as the CX430 and looks a lot better should I go with that?


Yes, that the one i got in my computer.
It's a good PWS
I mean it up to you
You don't have to get a cooler master, You can get the corsair air.


I got 4 led blue fans 120mm, Had 6 but this cooler took my side panel fans off was to big lol.
Evercool HHD Cooler
WD 160GB 5,900 RPM I think
WD 640 GB 7,200 RPM
Msi CD/Dvd Rom
Sunbeam twister 120 Fans {Cpu fan}
Amd Phenom ii x4 955 Black Edition {Not OC will ruin my warranty}
GTX 550 Ti
And my psu been running for months w/ any issues

Score
0
a c 1172 ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 10:39:03 PM

bwathke said:
No that is just what people were suggesting I would be ordering these things online somewhere, the only place I have near me is Bestbuy and they charge a LOT more then sites like Newegg... Im open to any brand of PSUs

EDIT: The corsair CX 500w is on sale right now should I go for that?

The Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2 (CMPSU-500CXV2) meets all of the power supply requirements for a single GeForce GTX 460 so it'll work fine.
Score
0
January 12, 2012 10:40:33 PM

bwathke said:
Alright well I decided it would be best to buy a new PSU to get a higher end video card (6670 for 100$ or 550 Ti for 120$ just need a new PSU) but now I cant decide if I should get 430w or 500w Im looking at the Corsair CX430/CX500 here is my system

Intel G620 2.6GHz Dual-core
6GB DDR3 RAM
7200 RPM 1TB Harddrive
DVD-RW
Motherboard is just a premade micro
USB Wireless Adapter
(Want to add) ECS GTX 550Ti

Thanks for any suggestions!

Also my case (its a prebuilt PC but a fairly large case) has an ATX PSU in it so is there any problem putting in an ATX12V or is that just a newer version?


And one other thing, You see one of my friends bought a CA PSU 750 Walts, It was dead Newegg send a old one.
CM PSU are wrap in plastic so try compusa, buybest, or any other stores that you can get to, you may have to pay tax but it be worth it this way you don't get a broken one like my friend.
Score
0
January 12, 2012 11:45:17 PM

ko888 said:
The Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2 (CMPSU-500CXV2) meets all of the power supply requirements for a single GeForce GTX 460 so it'll work fine.


Alright I will go with that then, 30$ only after MIR so not bad at all imo. Thanks for all the help =)
Score
0
!