Decided that instead of buying a gaming pc from a company, I thought I'd check out the total cost if I took the components that I wanted and find their prices outside of a gaming pc comany's website. Here are the specs that I researched. Just note one thing beforehand, price isn't a huge factor to me, but if I'm doing something completely ridiculous, please inform me. And remember, I'm a total newbie when it comes to this, please don't go crazy. However, just because I'm a newb, doesn't mean I'm a complete idiot. K?
1. Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Processor
2. Asus Rampage III Black Edition Socket 1366/ Intel X58/ 3-Way SLI & CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ EATX Motherboard
3. 1.5 Kilowatt Silverstone Strider Sleeved
4. Dual XFX Radeon HD 6990 4GB DDR5
5. HyperX 24GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Desktop Memory XMP T1 Black Series Hexa-Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3T1BK6/24GX
6. 512GB Crucial m4 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s for hard drive 1
7. **3** 600GB Western Digital VelociRaptor - SATA-III, 6Gb/s, 10,000RPM, 32MB Cache HDD (3 of them, for four hard drives total)
(please tell me if I'm missing something.
1. 1.5 Kilowatt Silverstone Strider Sleeved
2. 5. 40-in-1 media card reader
3. 9. Intel RAID - RT3WB080 Storage Controller
4. 12X Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD/BD)
5. ASUS Xonar Xense Premium Gaming Audio 118DB SNR PCI-E1 Soundcard W/ Sennheiser PC 350 Headset
Those are the specs I looked up. The total cost would be about 6 grand (no case, no mouse, no keyboard, no fans, no cooling system, and no monitor YET). On Origin it would be around 9 grand (3 grand savings yay!) and the best specs that I could customize for the V3 Convoy equalled out to be about 7 grand even though most specs were inferior to my build besides probably the hard drive areas (which I assume is less important when it comes to gaming right?). As for alienware, uh... nevermind.
I know i'm missing some stuff but bare with me.
So, my questions are:
1. What type of case should I get? Built in Water Cooling system or no? Link? Cost?
2. What type of fans should I get/would be best for this build?
3. Is this build even stable? Will it work/fit into a case? Or should I make something like a workstation?
4. Most importantly (hehheheh), if this build were made a reality, how good would it be for gaming?
This is my first time ever discussing something like this, please excuse me for that, any help would be appreciated.
1) Full Tower ATX would be ideal - loads about, pick one. Water-cooling is a whole different chapter.
2) Fans depend on your case and depends on what water-cooling you plan on.
3) I don't see why it wouldn't be stable. Components appear compatible.
4) 6990 would be good for gaming - surprisingly ......
So now for my question: Do you actually know anything about computers? Or did you just go onto a website and grab off the most expensive of each component with no real idea what your building, what your needs are, or any thoughts on price/performance?