Please suggest what SATA ports to use with each device!

dan1331

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Hello, I am assembling my first build in 5 years and would very much appreciate any help with the SATA ports.

I have the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 and I have read that of the 8 internal SATA ports 4 are 6.0Gb/s but only 2 of those are controlled by the intel chipset, the other two use a ASMEDIA ASM1061controller. I have read many comments about the ASMEDIA controller in the forums that say its better than Marvell but they had still rather use the 3.0Gb/s on things that really matter. Well, I dont know which things really matter (which things require the better controller) so while it is helpful to know there is a problem I do not know how to work around it.

I intend to boot from a OCZ Vertex 4 SSD sata iii and I would like it as responsive and zippy as possible. Initially it seems like a no-brainer I should use one of the 6.0Gb/s Intel ports for this but then I thought... maybe the ASMEDIA ports are not liked because of max throughput, not responsiveness, and how often would I max this thing? So I'm begging you for help.

I also have 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200 3TB 7200 SATA 6.0Gb/s. I will be accessing one of these a lot more than the other if that matters in your configuration.

I also have 2 LG Blu-ray Burners. I have no idea why I bought 2, I'll probably only use 1 most of the time (if that matters).

I could use multiple opinions. I have read so much trying to catch up from not building a system in 5 years I think I am cracking up. Thanks in advance!

p.s. are one of these ports the default for boot drives and can that be changed?

SharperZeroCool

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
I have about the same motherboard, i leave the sata 3 ssd plugged into the intel sata 3 controller, the rest i just plugged as i went since they were all sata 2.
You have enough sata 3 ports to plug your sata 3 devices.
I don't know much about the controllers but usually intel hardware is really good so i would suggest leave the ssd and the most used seagate driver there.