I'd like some advice on getting a new cpu

dumpstercake

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I'm planning overhauling my desktop and am looking at replacing the gpu, motherboard, memory, processor, and possibly the PSU and monitor if really needed.

I use my desktop for both 3d rendering and a bit of gaming. I was wondering if getting a core i5 would be all that much different than a core i7. I'm not a professional graphic artist so I don't exactly need cutting edge stuff. I just need the tools that will allow me to comfortably use things like maya, mudbox, motion studio, and 3dsmax. I also do enjoy gaming occasionally, though the graphics requirements for said games tends to vary a lot.

if anyone has recommendations on the other components please let me know as i'm still figuring out what kind of build to go with.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287

The difference between the i5-2500k vs the i7-2600k is hyperthreading. It enables the i7 to use 8 threads (4 core 4 ht virtual cores). While this is of no benefit to games, there is real world benefits for production software that is capable of utilizing these threads.

At the end of the day only you can determine if these benefits are worth the additonal cost. The link should give you a decent idea how how the two stack up in render times in various creation suites.

edit: Keep in mind that these comparisons are done at stock speeds. Any overclocking done to the processors will only widen the gap between them.