Sign in with
Your question

Help with choosing memory

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
November 9, 2012 9:43:21 AM

Hi everyone, first would just like to say I've been an active reader for some time and find the information posted here very helpful.
Unfortunately I cannot find an answer to my specific need which is as follows:

My new build consists of an Asus P8Z77 V DELUXE motherboard and an i7 3770k cpu. Now I am confused with which memory to buy. All the kits I am interested in don't appear to be on the QVL for the motherboard, in fact not many are :S not sure if its out of date of what??

Basically I would like to ask others what would be a good kit set to go with this build, i plan to oc cpu (+gpu if it matters) and would prefer 2x8gb but could go 4x4gb, also I was thinking 2133mhz however if anyone could advise against this or any other recommendations would be more than welcome!!

Heat spreaders aren't and issue as I'm going with custom water loop. I did originally want corsair vengeance but don't seem to be compatible!?

Thanks a lot for your time and advice!!

More about : choosing memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 9, 2012 9:57:00 AM

don't worry about strictly following the QVL sheet; there isn't time to test many different brands; most any g.skill or corsair will do nicely. also getting anything faster than 1600 RAM ill only show up in benchmarks so there won't be a noticable difference in real world usage.

you can get 16 gigs if you want to but 8 gigs are really more than enough. i like to go with bigger modules (2x4or8 instead of 4x2or4) just strictly to keep DIMM slots open in case i need to add more later.

just put the ram in the DIMMs boot into the BIOS to check the speed and enable XML if you need to if the settings are off at first. you'll be fine.
November 9, 2012 10:08:23 AM

Thanks for your quick response!

The reason I'm going for 16gb is as well as gaming I do use autodesk a lot for uni, and considering it is quite affordable at the moment compared to what it was in the past, I might as well go ahead and grab 16gb imo.

Just one more question. Im currently looking at a pair of corsair dominator platinum 2x8gb 1866mhz 1.5v 9-10-9-27 (little expensive) however will these be able to over clock nicely if i wish to experiment in the future? I don't mind to spend a little extra as i need this build to last at least 3-4 years. Thanks again for your reply
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 9, 2012 10:17:26 AM

Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz DDR3 Review - PAGE 3
Quote:
Overclocking

Overclocking the Dominator Platinum series was easy enough. To start, I immediately set the XMP profile which in turn clocked the memory to 1866MHz. I then began increasing the BCLK until the system would not boot (BCLK 103.5). At this point I tweaked the timings to set them at 10-10-10-27, with no adjustments made to the voltages yet, rebooted and had a successful post. Looking for more boost, I set the BCLK to 104 and rebooted to another successful post. We managed to fine tune the final BCLK to 106 with a memory speed of 1979MHz and timings set at 11-12-11-29 2T. This required a voltage setting of 1.73V, which is a little more juice than I prefer. This translated into a 113MHz increase over the stock speed, which was just the about the highest level we could hit while remaining stable.

just keep in mind that increasing the voltage past 1.55 voids the intel warranty on the i7 3770k. BUT it looks like it can handle it. but for sake of liability i cannot say it will though . . .
November 9, 2012 10:22:41 AM

Anonymous said:
Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz DDR3 Review - PAGE 3
Quote:
Overclocking

Overclocking the Dominator Platinum series was easy enough. To start, I immediately set the XMP profile which in turn clocked the memory to 1866MHz. I then began increasing the BCLK until the system would not boot (BCLK 103.5). At this point I tweaked the timings to set them at 10-10-10-27, with no adjustments made to the voltages yet, rebooted and had a successful post. Looking for more boost, I set the BCLK to 104 and rebooted to another successful post. We managed to fine tune the final BCLK to 106 with a memory speed of 1979MHz and timings set at 11-12-11-29 2T. This required a voltage setting of 1.73V, which is a little more juice than I prefer. This translated into a 113MHz increase over the stock speed, which was just the about the highest level we could hit while remaining stable.

just keep in mind that increasing the voltage past 1.55 voids the intel warranty on the i7 3770k. BUT it looks like it can handle it. but for sake of liability i cannot say it will though . . .

Thanks for the read! very helpful
!