Sign in with
Your question

My first build... Help please! ($1500-$1650 build)

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2011 3:39:31 AM

Here is what I got and what I am thinking of getting so far:

A couple things PLEASE READ:
I'm going to start building in December, the ones that I have bought already were because I got them with a deal. Unfortunately, I won't be able to check until December to see if any parts are DOA, but its better to return to the manufacturer for free than to end up buying it for more. To complicate it more, this pc will be only used on holidays or breaks. I go to college in CA, but I live and am building/leaving the pc in NY, in which I will only return for holidays, breaks and summers.

The next time I will be buying the rest of my parts WILL be on black friday, I'm so excited :bounce:  hopefully it can cut down my total price by a hundred or two :D 

Primary purposes will be for gaming, particularly BF3 and Skyrim, which I expect to play max and smooth framerates (50+). Won't be much besides that. I have my laptop for work/web browsing when I am away/at school, I will rarely do anything but games and web browsing on this pc.

What do you guys think so far?

My questions:
1.) About the pc itself: Is 2 6950's overkill for BF3/Skyrim and future games max at 1080p? How long will these cards last me? Again, I will be taking extended breaks with this computer(3 months+) so I feel that they will last me longer since they won't be used that much, but I do plan to OC them. I feel like if I do upgrade, I will sell/trash both cards and get a whole new gpu, since if I buy one and CF them later, one could die way sooner than the other and I am stuck with the 1 6950 as tech gets better.

2.) I know this is a preference question but which keyboard do you use for gaming? I really only need one with a comfortable rest, responsive (spaced) keys, backlit, nothing too fancy. I like the Lycosa, but I heard it is super buggy and shoddy quality. The Black Widow is similar style, but for like $80 more :(  Maybe the Sidewinder x4? I'm not sure!!

3.) 60hz/120hz 24" vs. 60hz 27"? This is probably the toughest decision for me. I like 27"'s size but I've only played RTS games and MMO's on it, I bet FPS' are hard. Also, will my gpu's push constantly pass 60fps on the games I listed to justify me to get a 120hz monitor? Is there really a big difference as people say? I'm not sure what 24" will be like, but if I decide to get a 120hz monitor, it will be 24" for sure. Please just throw recommendations at me, I don't want to pay more than $300 for one, but if it's close to that I'll consider it for Black Friday sales.

4.) Is it not good to leave a pc off and unplugged for several months? My case has dust filters but I would wrap it in a blanket and put all my cords in a bag, should that be enough? I don't want to damage it by keeping it off. If it's anything like a car in the cold and it needs to run every now and again, I'll let my Dad know to use it.

Thanks for the help so much guys, I really appreciate it! Have a nice night :D  :hello: 

More about : build 1500 1650 build

October 13, 2011 7:15:11 AM

Can anyone help? Thank you
m
l
October 13, 2011 9:52:20 AM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak0wTRjWqv... <---- That will give you a rough idea of what to expect. Looking at the Beta, dual 6950's isn't over kill.

That 850w psu though is super over kill for two of those cards, but I see it's a done deal.

The PC will be fine being off...it doesn't affect it in the least. Put a large sized garbage bag over it to keep the dust out.

A 120hz monitor is out of your price range..unless you opt for a non LED, but you will be fine with a 60hz monitor.

No clue on the keyboard. I use an el cheapo logitech myself.
m
l
October 13, 2011 10:23:38 AM

Why_Me said:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak0wTRjWqv... <---- That will give you a rough idea of what to expect. Looking at the Beta, dual 6950's isn't over kill.

That 850w psu though is super over kill for two of those cards, but I see it's a done deal.

The PC will be fine being off...it doesn't affect it in the least. Put a large sized garbage bag over it to keep the dust out.

A 120hz monitor is out of your price range..unless you opt for a non LED, but you will be fine with a 60hz monitor.

No clue on the keyboard. I use an el cheapo logitech myself.

Thank you. Yea I understand the PSU is overkill, but I bought it because I may still have use for it in about 4-5 years. Besides its a Corsair and it's modular. I mean if you highly advise that I don't use it and save my money, and give me a good reason, I can always send it back for a refund :) 

120hz monitor for about $300(maybe less on black friday):
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-GD235HZbid-Widescreen-23-6-D...

Not sure how good that one is, but it's an option. I have never seen a 120hz screen, but if this one isn't that great I guess I'll go with a 27" 60hz monitor.

As I thought, I think my best option is 2 CF 6950's. There is definitely a noticeable difference between the 6950 CF and the 560ti SLI, even though they are in the same price range. I think 2 6970's CF/ 570's SLI would be a too expensive venture, for a negligible difference? I just have to make sure my motherboard has a good gap for the cards and that they won't get too hot.
m
l
!