Intel Core 2 Duo question

barron14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I have a intel core 2 duo processer in my motherboard. I am getting a new socket 775 motherboard tomorrow with ddr3 ram on it ( I am upgrading from ddr2 ) . The intel core duo 2 has thermal paste still on it , I was wondering if I was putting the core 2 duo into my new motherboard would I need to put new paste on it ??

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah, without a doubt. Just like oil in your car the ability for tim to dissipate heat degrades over time. Use a razor knife and make sure you get every last bit of the old tim off as lots of times it's turned to a caked solid that can interfere with the application of new tim.

barron14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Thanks for the reply , Would a knife not damage the cpu if I was taking the thermal paste off?

I personally use coffee fillers/used drier sheets Q-tips and some rubbing alcohol. Start by using coffee filler or used drier sheet to clean off most of the old paste from the processor. Then use a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol on it to clean or loosen any remaining paste. Last use another coffee filler/used drier sheet to finish and clean anything that is left on the processor.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
The cpu is covered by a heatplate that's designed to not only protect the cpu but also to match up with the heatsink/fan. So the metal that covers the top of the chip (assuming you don't dent it) really can take quite a bit of abuse. Just keep in mind that the underneath part (the pins) is very fragile and you should take extra care when cleaning any tim that might have overspilled into this area.