Solved

1 8gb stick

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
November 9, 2012 9:58:07 AM

Hey everyone, basically my problem is that I own an ASUS P5G41C-M LX,
and I bought 1 stick of 8gb 1333Hz Ripjaws RAM. my question is, can I use just one stick? Or do I actually have to use 2x 4gb sticks for it to show up when booting? Upgrading is out of the picture, this is my first build ever and it's incredibly incredibly tight budgeted and I already have all my parts.

Thanks in advance guys!

More about : 8gb stick

November 9, 2012 10:47:07 AM

You can totally just use 1 memory stick with no problems what so ever.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 10:58:35 AM

^ While the system will run just fine, Depending on what applications are being used, performance may take a hit.

When only one stick of Ram is used your system will run in Single channel mode.
Theoretically that would Knock your ram performance down by up to 50%. Real terms maybe 15->25%.

Ram performance (Dual Channel)= Bus speed x Multiplier x 2 (DDR) x 2 (DDR2)
ie (IV) DDR2-1600 = 100 x 4 x2 x2 = 1600
Ram performance (Single Channel)= Bus speed x Multiplier x 2 (DDR)
ie DDR2-1600 = 100 x 4 x 2 = 800

Bottom Line - It is Not a problem, just ram operates at a lower equivalant speed.
For many applications (ie Internet, email, word) you would not see any diff, but for applications that rely on Ram performance such as a complex excel spreadsheet, photo editing, video encoding you would see slower performance. Not sure on games as Not a gamer.

Ram is only one factor in overall performance - CPU speed, Nr cores (only for apps that can use more than one core), Ram, Hard drive (HHD vs SSD) and GPU all factor into overall performance.
Related resources
November 9, 2012 12:54:03 PM

Wicked! Thanks heaps! I'm glad I don't have to exchange it because I'll be upgrading at christmas time so I don't wanna have smaller sticks for a better machine.

One last question, I'm just about to boot up for the first time, but I don't have a speaker to listen to the POST beeps on, what should I do? And how do I locate the power pins so I can short them with a paper clip?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 1:35:54 PM

OPPS!!! Did you check the specs for Your MB.
2 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 1333(O.C.)/1066/800 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
2 x DIMM, max. 8 GB,DDR2 1066 (O.C.) / 800 / 667 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered memory
Your MB may only support 4 gigs per slot.
also if it does support 8 gigs per slot, you will not be able to add a second stick - go with 2 x 4 gigs for 8 gigs total OR stick with what you have until you upgrade your MB..

Only need the beep codes if System does NOT boot.
WHY the paperclip??? Only needed to trouble shoot and then only as a last resort. Forcing the PSU on, if a problem on MB sometimes referred to as a SMOKE test.

m
l
November 10, 2012 1:32:55 AM

That's why I was worried about whether I actually had to use 2x 4Gb sticks instead of 1 8, I'll be upgrading soon so I don't wanna have to go take back an 8gb stick cos I'll be putting that in to the new motherboard instead. Well I'm hoping the system will boot, but just in case, I'd like to be able to tell why. I chose the paperclip because I don't have an available screwdriver yet.
m
l
a c 190 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 10, 2012 2:27:11 AM

At a glance, Intel's G41 chipset appears to be dual-channel so if it accepts a 8GB DIMM on one channel, the same type of DIMM should work fine on the other channel as well.

The motherboard appears to be DDR2 while 8GB 1333MT/s only exists on DDR3 as far as I know of so the RAM is probably not compatible with the motherboard.
m
l
November 10, 2012 2:41:09 AM

This motherboard has 2 ddr3 ports at 1333Hz if overclocked though, so I'm not sure if it's compatible just because of the amount of ram, I'll try putting in less, I have a bunch of really old small ram I can try and put in.
m
l
a c 190 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 10, 2012 4:02:36 AM

Ah, I missed the 'C' in the model number. There hasn't been many dual-format boards in the DDR2-DDR3 transition period.

In that case, whether or not the board can handle 8GB RAM depends on whether or not the "4GB" limit in the G41 chipset spec is due to 4Gbit ICs not existing at the time the spec was written or due to the NB lacking the necessary logic to manage the extra row or column address line.
m
l
November 10, 2012 9:14:33 AM

Best answer selected by Tinylittlepirates.
m
l