Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Do Not Buy From CyberPower! WARNING

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2011 3:48:29 AM

Hey Forum,

Let me fill you in on my experience with CyberPower before you decide to order from them.

I purchased a PC from them a few months back and let me tell you my experience. I placed my order on July 27th and was given the expected ship date of August 3, because I paid for the first level of rush service. So the next day I receive an email telling me that all my parts are in stock and my PC will begin to be assembled. So 5 days go by, and I check on my order status. According the website, my PC had yet to even began being assembled. So I give them a call, and after being put on hold for around 5-10 minutes a customer service rep finally takes my call. I explain to him, very calmly, the situation with my order. And then I ask him to tell me what the status of my order was at that exact moment. He told me to hold a second while he went and checked on it. No less than 15 seconds later he was back (seems a bit too fast), and he let me know that my PC had already been put together and was going through some last minute testing, and would be shipped out tomorrow. So I said thank you very much and went on my merry way. Another 5 days went by... By this time the PC should have been at my house (I did pay for 3 day select shipping after all). So I give them another call, once again a very lengthy wait to speak with a customer service rep. So he picks up and I let him know that my problem, the fact that my pc should be at my house right now, yet it isn't. He told me that he'll check the status for me. No less than 15 seconds later, he's back and let's me know "It shows here that your computer is going through some last minute testing and will be shipped out tomorrow"..That's when I snapped. I said "Let me speak to a manager please". He told me that the manager was very busy and couldn't take calls right now. So I said, "Either let me speak to your manager or I'm cancelling my order". All of a sudden, POOF! He's no longer busy! So he get's on the phone and I ask him to personally tell me the exact status of my order. So I was put on hold for a few minutes and he told me that the parts were in stock and that I would be given Free Rush service. Well that was enough, I asked him to cancel my order and he did so very promptly. I will never again order a custom built gaming Pc online..

More about : buy cyberpower warning

October 13, 2011 4:50:59 PM

I'll second the OP's post... I won't bother to go into my own experience, but let's just say it wasn't great. I'll also verify that Cyber Power is reluctant to let people speak to the customer service manager. In my case, the operator refused to let me speak to the manager, so I guess the OP must be very persuasive.
Score
October 13, 2011 8:36:08 PM

ive heard so many stories about them...i swear, 20% of their products are defective lol
Score
Related resources
October 14, 2011 6:21:34 PM

I bought from Cyberpower a couple of months ago and had a great experience.

Ordered online (great configurator, the best one i've used across various websites) on 8/25. Got an email within minutes (not automated) from a sales guy asking me to confirm the billing/shipping address as they were different. Emailed back and again got a response within minutes. Advised that from the date of order it would be around 21 days till delivery.

Final price for system was $1117, i just added up everything on newegg and for almost exactly the same parts it totalled $1104 (not including rebates but including any other savings i saw). So i effectively got someone to check and assemble it for me for around $13. Every other mainstream boutique builder i tried (Alienware, Digital storm, Falcon, etc) charged significantly more, one actually had a slightly inferior (no brand PSU, mouse and keyboard) system priced at around $2000. Local builders gave me slightly higher quotes but one did offer to match the Cyberpower price.

Got regular updates on the site and emails as it went through the process. Delivered 9/14, 20 days later. The RAM and graphics card brands were unspecified (listed as "major brand" on the configurator) but i still received Corsair and the superclocked EVGA version of the GTX560TI for no extra cost

One month later and i have come across no problems at all.

While some people have clearly had problems i don't think people should be using forum posts complaining as an indicator of it being a blacklisted company. The only quantitative survey i saw (might have bee on this site, i honestly don't remember two months later) had them rated no worse than most builders in the overall score.

Score
October 26, 2011 8:12:56 PM

I purchased from them a few years ago, and had a horrible time trying to get parts/etc RMA'd. I ended up going through the manufacturers themselves, instead of Cyberpower. Basically, I had every reason to believe that they simply utilize grey market parts, remanned parts, etc. I NEVER was capable of talking to a manager the 100 times or so I called in there, I would even get the people on the phone laughing, when I would actually recite (at the same time they did) where the manager was, "He is at a sales meeting this week". I even videotaped an hour long conversation with them that was just leading around in circles. I cannot even believe this forum of all places has its own section for Cyberpower. I even wrote a letter to a couple of PC magazines asking why they would allow Cyberpower to advertise their 'goods' and services in their magazines - as they are typically then to be considered a trustworthy source. Sure, everyone has a different experience, and I hope that they might have even straightened up their act.. But, I highly doubt they did, since I purchased my original PC from them back in college. Definitely agree that most of their stuff is defective.. I just can't even figure out how though, is it because it's remanned? I went through 3 motherboards, until on the final one, the PSU to Mobo wire actually FUSED together. I think I had 2 faulty motherboards before finally going straight for the source - the manufacturers. I then explained to them how the company selling their products has no intentions of follow through, and that if they want to keep me as a customer of their products (the manufacturer) they would have to support me on their own. And, it worked better that way, as again, I was NEVER capable of speaking to anyone worthy of any sort of answer when I called them. Look at their BBB rating... 377 complaints... http://www.la.bbb.org/business-reviews/Computer-Dealers...
Score
November 13, 2011 1:12:06 PM

That's exactly why you should build your own. It's not hard! I was originally going to buy from them, until I realized I could do so much better if I made my own.
Score
November 26, 2011 12:24:23 AM

I have been doing business with them for a few years buying systems for the family with out any problems at all. I am sorry to hear the bad problems you guys have had. God I hope that doesn't happen to me in the fucture.

I have ordered 5 systems from them in the last two years for different family members and they haven't had a problem with there systems at all. I guess I should Knock on wood. Those stories are what bad dreams are all about.
Score
December 6, 2011 8:18:17 PM

We have ordered 5 computers from them over the years, but the most recent ones we have had issues with. One desk top had a defective motherboard that had to be replaced. The last 2 desk tops (we run a computer for each of us) both came with built in media card readers that did not work. They sent a replacement that did not work. They then informed us that the readers would not work with windows 7 (!?) So we paid for card readers that do not work, we don't really know why and they are not willing to stand behind them. Recently, my husband's desktop over heated (we had paid extra for the water cooled system) and now we are trying to figure out what happened, why and how to fix it. Have been through the phone queue, and hope to get a call back. Meanwhile, waiting on a techie friend to come over and go through the system. This PC has had numerous issues and has not been of the previous quality we have gotten from Cyberpower. Not sure I would continue to purchase from them after this. Husband had built his own before, but got a good deal on the build your own through Cyberpower in the past and until this last computer, had been happy. I also was happier with my previous computer than the one I have now.
Score
December 8, 2011 11:42:05 AM

i bought a cyberpower bout 5 yrs ago.. had to send it back to them for repairs 3 times in the 1st 4 months. it took 1 month to get it back each time. 1 week to get there, 1 week to gt back, and 2 weeks in thier possession. they'd send it back and it still wouldnt work, like they never even looked at it.
i had problems with that computer its entire lifespan. instead of going a month without a computer each time it broke down i started going to local computer shops to get it fixed. thats how disappointing cyberpower is. i'd rather pay someone to fix it then send it to them for warrenty work. it cost me less too. considering you have to pay for shipping to them and they'd still send it back not fixed.
i honestly dont know how they stay in business. when i was looking for a new computer recently i was shocked that they were still around. i had one built from ibuypower this time around and so far all has been good. that fact that it started up alone made it better then cyberpower.
Score
December 8, 2011 7:09:53 PM

foulsmell, you should consider making your own. it's alotta fun
Score
December 9, 2011 11:50:58 AM

raptorxrx said:
foulsmell, you should consider making your own. it's alotta fun

yea, i keep hearing that. but i'm an idiot when it comes to computers. it would be the equivalant of someone telling you "you should do your own brain surgury, its alot of fun". i learned most of what i now know in the last couple months researching components for the computer i recently bought from ibuypower. which by the way cost me less then if i bought the parts myself and either built it myself or had it built by a local shop (who said they would charge $80).
Score
December 9, 2011 9:32:33 PM

That's how they make their living (80$), I wouldn't mind paying that to my local shop. Local things are awesome for custom service/support in my opinion, plus if you have problems with your computer, you don't have shipping cost. That all depends on the person though... Not to detract from the main point. CyberPower is.... cheap...
Score
December 10, 2011 4:32:13 AM

raptorxrx said:
That's how they make their living (80$), I wouldn't mind paying that to my local shop. Local things are awesome for custom service/support in my opinion, plus if you have problems with your computer, you don't have shipping cost. That all depends on the person though... Not to detract from the main point. CyberPower is.... cheap...

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. 5 rigs later with not one problem. No back orders. They have all been on time. They kept me informes all the way through the build. But when I hear all these horor stories. It makes me want to rethink if I trust them or not.

I don't need rigs for my family because they have what they needed unless something happened and they never told me.
Score
December 10, 2011 4:43:05 AM

Why not go through Ibuypower then?
Score
December 10, 2011 5:11:32 AM

Emelth said:
Why not go through Ibuypower then?

When it comes up again I will look into it. Thanks
Score
December 10, 2011 12:06:48 PM

raptorxrx said:

i wouldnt mind paying $80 either. the shipping from ibuypower was $75 so thats a wash in my book. but when i priced out the components that i wanted from newegg and tigerdirect it still cost quite a bit more then what the configurator was from ibuypower. not including the shipping costs from newegg and tigerdirect.

also when i did contact a local guy about building my gaming computer. he changed just about even component i wanted. i wanted an i5-2500k cpu, he told me get an athlon, one that was weaker then the 2500k. i wanted an nvida 560 ti vid card , he told me get an amd (again, a weaker one at that). just about every component i wanted he changed in the email he sent back to me, while telling me to make sure i used the links from his webpage to goto newegg and tigerdirect cause he gets a 5% kickback (on top of the $80 he would get for putting it together). so yea, that didnt inspire much confidence.

i went with ibuypower and so far very happy, i got my rig 1 week from the day i placed the order even though it was black friday and its working fine.
Score
December 10, 2011 1:45:44 PM

No offense, but asking a local shop to only make 80 bucks profit is not NEARLY enough profit. I'm a tech/network admin by trade, most shops at least in my area will charge you 100-110 to only install the Windows OS, run updates, etc. You can't blame the guy for asking you to help him get a kickback.

I've worked in PC repair before, and we would do builds where people brought us a pile of parts. We would price it, then parts were purchased for them, that way we could make a markup, plus we knew the parts were good parts not sub par quality, because if there is a problem, the techs will get blamed.

You may find a tech who will do a build for you with your parts for 80 bucks, but a tech that is worth what you are paying is more likely to charge a couple hundred or so, and will probably purchase parts for you. Only custom we had come back was from a gentleman where we reused his old 120gb hard drive, and that drive failed, so we had to replace it with a new one.
Score
December 10, 2011 7:57:47 PM

I'm glad your happy with the iBuypower. I am really suprised about the price on the comparison for your build between newegg and ibuypower. My build was ~two hundred dollars less from newegg! I agree with ohiou_grad_06 (btw, I love Ohio State)
Score
December 15, 2011 12:36:33 PM

raptorxrx said:
I'm glad your happy with the iBuypower. I am really suprised about the price on the comparison for your build between newegg and ibuypower. My build was ~two hundred dollars less from newegg! I agree with ohiou_grad_06 (btw, I love Ohio State)

I assume he went to OU not OSU, love there halloween parties lol. Heres a good joke Akron football LLOLOLOLOLOL!

Anyways, there are other websites too, like digitalstorm and custompcandrepairs.
Score
December 15, 2011 3:35:26 PM

Lol, yea, actually Ohio University. They are actually playing good football lately, then there is akron...lol.
Score
December 15, 2011 9:17:13 PM

Oh oops my bad! :) 
Score
December 15, 2011 9:59:08 PM

Stryke1983 said:
Local builders gave me slightly higher quotes but one did offer to match the Cyberpower price.

I'm just curious: Why didn't you buy at the local shop that would match the price?
Score
December 15, 2011 10:04:14 PM

wow, cyberpower sounds horrible
good thing I built my own pc
Score
December 15, 2011 10:17:09 PM

Guys, keep in mind that these are all the bad experiences. It's like with watercooling, how you only here the bad accidents that destroy the whole rig, but never the people who have a great setup. I wouldn't buy from them, but just keep that in mind.
Score
December 16, 2011 12:35:07 AM

Ya like I said early on in this thread. I have bought 5 rigs from them and no problems. I was informed as to where my build was It came to me before the time estamated.

Everything working fine with no ishues. Oh I take that back I had one ishue.Tthey didn't tell me that the GTX550 Ti's were the worst cards in the 5xx series. They should have recomended the GTX560 Ti's. So that is my only complaint.
Score
December 16, 2011 5:05:55 AM

They may not be all bad, but again, my point is the local guy will care more about their customers. As I said also, you can't expect the local guy to be too cheap. If one offers to match cyberpower, maybe take it. But keep in mind, local guys who are worth what they are charging are likely going to be charging at least 200 for assembly/configuration and testing. You can go online and find guys on craigslist who say that they can fix computers for 30 bucks an hour. But would you trust them with your PC?
Score
December 16, 2011 7:55:06 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
They may not be all bad, but again, my point is the local guy will care more about their customers. As I said also, you can't expect the local guy to be too cheap. If one offers to match cyberpower, maybe take it. But keep in mind, local guys who are worth what they are charging are likely going to be charging at least 200 for assembly/configuration and testing. You can go online and find guys on craigslist who say that they can fix computers for 30 bucks an hour. But would you trust them with your PC?

I totaly agree with you. If I had a guy here to help me I would have jump on it. It would make it a lot easier to deal with one locally. That way when something goes wrong you take it right to them since they built it they have in and out fast. Also not shipping cost and a lot of down time. Ya I understand where you are coming from.
Score
January 2, 2012 8:48:34 PM

well with all company's including ibuypower or cyber power they have problems but it seem cyber power has 325 of them on there phone line waiting for service
Score
January 2, 2012 10:19:36 PM

Truth, these are only the complaints from the company, and obviously only the people with messed up builds complain. I mean if your system is messed up, you get furious and start ranting about a company, even though it is actually really good.

Well since you all want to hear the other side of the story, let me put in some positive feedback.

I bought my first gaming rig from cyberpower during summer vacation. I waited around 1 and 1/2 weeks for it to leave the place and around 3 business days to get to my house. Keep in mind that I payed an extra $38 for professional wiring and safe shipping. The wiring looks great, everything is nicely tucked away. The safe shipping gives extra foam in the box, and puts some foam in a bag into your case to keep everything in it's initial position. Anyway, I unpacked everything and started it up and everything worked fine. Up to today it has never had any problems and runs just as well as it did the first day. Also, I unexpectedly got 2 free games, fear 2 and empire total war. They were a pleasant surprise.
If you guys want I could post some pictures of the build. :) 

There you guys have it. Not a horror story, instead a positive experience. Most positive experiences are never shared, unlike the horror stories, which are almost always shared.
Score
January 2, 2012 11:59:39 PM

justjohn5 said:
Truth, these are only the complaints from the company, and obviously only the people with messed up builds complain. I mean if your system is messed up, you get furious and start ranting about a company, even though it is actually really good.

Well since you all want to hear the other side of the story, let me put in some positive feedback.

I bought my first gaming rig from cyberpower during summer vacation. I waited around 1 and 1/2 weeks for it to leave the place and around 3 business days to get to my house. Keep in mind that I payed an extra $38 for professional wiring and safe shipping. The wiring looks great, everything is nicely tucked away. The safe shipping gives extra foam in the box, and puts some foam in a bag into your case to keep everything in it's initial position. Anyway, I unpacked everything and started it up and everything worked fine. Up to today it has never had any problems and runs just as well as it did the first day. Also, I unexpectedly got 2 free games, fear 2 and empire total war. They were a pleasant surprise.
If you guys want I could post some pictures of the build. :) 

There you guys have it. Not a horror story, instead a positive experience. Most positive experiences are never shared, unlike the horror stories, which are almost always shared.

Yes, I have mentioned that all we had heard was negative earlier, along with others. I guess the true test of a company is after the deal, if something goes wrong, how do they deal with it.
Score
January 3, 2012 3:15:48 AM

As other mentioned you get more for what you pay for if you do it all yourself.
Score
January 10, 2012 6:01:18 PM

BUILD YOUR OWN...

Never build a PC before, built two in 2011 - high-end gaming machine and a family-use machine.

Once all the parts were received probably took two hours from unboxing to loading OS (and I was being a nervous-nelly since I hadn't done this before).

Its incredibly easy to build your own.

And it's a LOT cheaper. On my high-end gaming machine I saved ~35% v. having somebody else build it for me.

Also, you get to pick the specific brand of components - not the generic "8GB 1600mhz RAM", so you end up gettig exactly what you want to work with.

Its a blast. And, if you're building a higher-end system you must have some interest in the components - half the fun is researching what's out there.
Score
July 4, 2012 7:00:14 PM

dbdth said:
BUILD YOUR OWN...

Never build a PC before, built two in 2011 - high-end gaming machine and a family-use machine.

Once all the parts were received probably took two hours from unboxing to loading OS (and I was being a nervous-nelly since I hadn't done this before).

And it's a LOT cheaper. On my high-end gaming machine I saved ~35% v. having somebody else build it for me.

Also, you get to pick the specific brand of components - not the generic "8GB 1600mhz RAM", so you end up gettig exactly what you want to work with.

Its a blast. And, if you're building a higher-end system you must have some interest in the components - half the fun is researching what's out there.

Just wondering about first time loading of software? This would be my first build as well. Asus Sabertooth Z77, I7-3770, 8GB Crucial, 240GB Samsung SSD, WD black Caviar 1TB FAEX, Corsair HX 850 silver, Coolermaster, either 942 or 932???, and Coolermaster Hyoer 212Plus heatsink. Thanks, Windows 7, Ultimate. ~$1500.00
Score
February 6, 2013 9:40:58 PM

Terrible experience. Took over a month to get & when I did it did not work. Cost me $135 in shipping in total.
Would highly recommend against buying from Cyberpower!
Score
February 7, 2013 5:52:53 PM

Some people say "keep in mind only people with problems complain" are missing two core points.

- Sometimes systems have bad parts, or parts fail. But part of the reason people buy from companies like Cyberpower is professional assembly and burn in/testing. That's built into the premium people pay. Warranty is only the back end of the deal. The front end is a properly designed and tested system that works out of the box.

- Customer service is important. The OP mentioned that CP lied to him multiple times. If a company will treat one customer like that, then that's how the company treats customers.
Score
April 1, 2013 1:30:56 PM

Had a bad experience with them as well. My computer came and first off it will not recognize the external harddrive I added. Then windows 8 will not authenticate, and I was told by the company it was because the key installed to the bios was not installed correctly (by them I take it) and I would have to send them the computer, at my expense, so they could rewrite the bios. I guessed that would mean that I wouldn't have the system for another two to three weeks. What a headache. It told them I wanted a refund, so now I guess I get to wait for them to send my the authorization email. Won't hold my breath, and will not ever shop with them again.
Score
April 1, 2013 1:34:39 PM

They dealt with mine by asking me to ship the system back to them at my expense so they could install the windows 8 activation key in the bios correctly, something they didn't do before. To me that is not handling a legitimate customer complaint in a useful or timely manner. The right way to do it would have been to install windows the regular way and sent me the stupid activation code if things went wrong. They are an awful company and I mean to cause them the loss of as many sales as I can.
Score
April 2, 2013 9:00:07 AM

BrotherofCats said:
They dealt with mine by asking me to ship the system back to them at my expense so they could install the windows 8 activation key in the bios correctly, something they didn't do before. To me that is not handling a legitimate customer complaint in a useful or timely manner. The right way to do it would have been to install windows the regular way and sent me the stupid activation code if things went wrong. They are an awful company and I mean to cause them the loss of as many sales as I can.

Hello BrotherofCats,

I answered your question in the "CyberPower Reliability Thread". But I will post the answer here also.

We do apologize for the activation issue you experienced. Unfortunately, the Digital License must be injected into the motherboard and this process has to be completed with us. We also originally emailed you to inform you this procedure would be taken care of for you at no cost to you. We want nothing more then to get this Digital License matter resolved.

You have also emailed us: "I am going to go on a different complaints websites every day and post something about Cyberpower and my shitty experience."

At this time and after the last contact with our customer service and support center, another RMA for refund processing will be emailed to you so that you may return the product. We again apologize for any inconvenience.
Score
May 31, 2013 11:45:41 AM

I won't go into my person experience with Cyberpower, but just will sum it up as horrible. Only had my computer from them 4 months and it is sitting there now waiting on a new mother board. I spent 1000.00 with them and I am not well off. I have 3 other computers in the house from wal-mart and they are years old with no problems. I will try to sway as many of my friends as I can to stay away from Cyberpower. I am very disappointed with them.
Score
May 31, 2013 12:27:46 PM

dbdth said:
BUILD YOUR OWN...

Yeah I agree. Build your own. Don't bother going with pre built manufacturers. My biggest gripe with going with a pre built system is that manufacturers load the OS down with so much garbage software you don't really need to the point where it nearly makes the operating system unusable. Any time I get a system like that the first thing I do is completely wipe the hard drive and do a clean format of the OS.
Score
June 27, 2013 11:43:03 AM

Yes, I would have to agree Cyberpowerpc is a poorly run company. It appears the company cannot deliver there own products in a reasonable amount of time. Always having excuses of why they cannot fulfill. Avoid this company at all cost, they will waste your time and probably your money as well. If their warranty is anything like their service, your in trouble if you need it.
Score
July 27, 2013 7:44:28 PM

Oh man, I just purchased from cyberpower pc because a techy friend of mine recommended them. Because of this recommendation, I didn't even think to research the company itself - I was too busy looking up reviews of each individual parts that I wanted in my build. I really hope that my order is one of the few that make it out alright especially since I spent north of $3k with my build.

Update: I will cancel my order and build it myself.
Score
!