Status
Not open for further replies.

Doyo

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Good afternoon all!

I am working on setting up a new build that hopefully I will use a tax return for, depending on what I get back.

Since I don't have a budget yet, I'm just doing some research. Where I'm getting stuck is picking which CPU and mobos to use.

I know that for the most part GPU>CPU when it comes to gaming, and that if I want to save money on a CPU to get a better GPU it's probably ok, but I just don't know how important the CPU is in general. I'm debating on going i5 2500k vs Phenom II 955, and I know all the arguements. i5 blows the AMD out of the water, this I know. I mean, will the 955 (or similar chip... BE at least) get me by for close to as long as the i5 making it worth saving the money? Or should I go with the i5 for (probably) greater longetivity and upgrade my full system in a few years?

I'm not too concerned with upgrading as I go, because I bought my current system with that in mind (Cyberpower Core 2 duo build) and now that I'm at the point where I need to upgrade a few components, I kinda feel that I'm far enough behind the curve that I should just buy a new system.

Anyway... TL;DR version, How important is the CPU when it comes to gaming?

Thanks!

Solution
If I had to chose between a 955 + 6970 vs 2500k + 6850, I'd take the 955 all day long.

While there's no doubt that the i5 is going to outperform the 955, there quickly comes a point of diminishing returns in which 110fps doesn't really mean much over 90fps.

Short of being able to epeen your way up the benchmark results I doubt you'd be able to tell the real world difference between two rigs (in gaming) running the two cpus.

Where this argument falls flat is when you talk about cpu bound games like WoW and Skyrim. A solid argument could probably be made for the i5 at that point. Thankfully these type games are few and far between today and the differences aren't going to be huge either way.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
If I had to chose between a 955 + 6970 vs 2500k + 6850, I'd take the 955 all day long.

While there's no doubt that the i5 is going to outperform the 955, there quickly comes a point of diminishing returns in which 110fps doesn't really mean much over 90fps.

Short of being able to epeen your way up the benchmark results I doubt you'd be able to tell the real world difference between two rigs (in gaming) running the two cpus.

Where this argument falls flat is when you talk about cpu bound games like WoW and Skyrim. A solid argument could probably be made for the i5 at that point. Thankfully these type games are few and far between today and the differences aren't going to be huge either way.

Solution

Doyo

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Thaks A4mula That's exactly what I was wondering about. However you do bring up a point that makes me a bit worried with the "CPU bound games". Syrim is actually one of the games I will probably be playing a lot of on this system (Probably the game I'll be playing the most is SW:TOR). Are you saying that some games essentially ignore a graphics card?

Doyo

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
"I see" said the blind man.

So now the delimma of me buying the i5 for one or two games, or buying the better GPU with a sufficient CPU for playing these same games.. just not on ultra. :p

Thanks for your imput!

Status
Not open for further replies.