No signal on monitor plus weird issue

DocMaster

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
I've had my new custom build PC for about 3 months now and it's worked flawlessly. But as of late I've been having a weird issue. On start up, my monitor will show nothing, and instead display "no signal" and then go black. Even stranger is that my PC makes a fair amount of noise durin a normal start up but is very quiet once windows loads, but when the no signal issue occurs, the loud noise does not end, as if it's constantly trying to boot. Normally the issue fixes itself within a few minutes of restarting the computer.

Is it possible that it is a harddrive issue? Because whenever I start up I get a message that reads "no hard disk detected!" for a moment but everything works fine, and I've always found this very odd.

If it helps, here are my specs:
core i7 2600-k
Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard
Western digital 500 GB blue (I think)
4 GBs of ram (not sure on the brand)
Cooler master 550 W PSU
Nvidia 9600GT (old card I'm using until I buy a 560 Ti)

Anything I'm no sure of I'll edit once I'm home and can look at the boxes. Thank you in advance.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
The fact that the issue is showing up in HDD detection as well as Monitor detection indicates that there is a common denominator. That points to the PSU being faulty or the Motherboard or both. Eliminate those two from the equation first. If they check out then RAM would be next.

DocMaster

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011

How would I go about doing that? Sorry, but in truth I'm a bit of a novice as this is my first custom built PC that I've done myself. Every other PC I've had has been something my brother threw together with spare parts.

Also, if I helps, the last two times this happened was directly after installing steam games. I installed red alert 3 a few days ago and got the issue on the next start up and last night I installed civilization V and got it again on the next start up. Probably just coincidence though.