Sign in with
Your question

MSI GTX 560 TI Frozr III temperatures?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2011 12:53:09 AM

Hey, I bought one of these cards a month or so ago and the temperatures have been concerning me since. I have an Antec 902 case that isn't short on airflow, but my 560 ti seems to idle on 47'c, whereas my previous 9800GTX+ idled on 35'c.

I've searched reviews for this card and they all seem to state low operating temperatures and I'd like owners input on your temperatures / case.

I've seen it reach 75'c in games and I know this is overclocked and such but still it's hotter than I expected.

Thanks for all replies.
a c 388 Î Nvidia
August 13, 2011 1:14:37 AM

That should be okay. They both seem a little high, both idle and load, but it is summer. I assume you are using Auto fan? I would make sure that the airflow is good, clean any dust filters, make sure your rear case fan(s) is exhausting heat, open a window and just see if you can get it to go down that way.
August 13, 2011 1:38:01 PM

Yeah it is summer, but I'm in Wales (UK) and it's only around 24'c here (75 fahrenheit). And yeah I keep my computer pretty dust free and with the antec 902 there's plenty of airflow.

It was just a shock going from 35'c idle with the 9800GTX+ to 47'c idle with my GTX 560 ti. My friend with the GTX 460 (also msi hawk) idles around 27'c and I expected to see around the same temperatures.
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 13, 2011 2:03:18 PM

My GTX560's sit at low to mid 30's, so I think you're on the high side.
a c 388 Î Nvidia
August 13, 2011 3:13:15 PM

Well, those temps are high, nothing to worry about, but definitely an indication that something is not quite right. If you wanted to go for the next level of repair, perhaps you might consider changing the thermal paste on the GPU.

Wales, huh? It's always been my goal to visit Port Moresby to see the town from the Prisoner TV show.
August 13, 2011 3:20:38 PM

I have also seen signs of artifacting in some games (such as when I kill an alien in Crysis 2, the purple tenticle things stretch across the screen) but it isn't prominent and consistant in all games, could the high temperature be related to that?

@Matto I've never been there, but if it is anything like the rest of Wales, I wouldn't bother :) 
a c 388 Î Nvidia
August 13, 2011 3:31:54 PM

What GPU temperature monitoring software are you using. I assume you are using Afterburner. Maybe you are not getting an accurate reading? I doubt that's the case, but it seems like a card that is overheating although the temps are within a normal operating range. They are maybe 10c-15c higher than I would expect for the Twin Frozr III. I might start to think about returning the card, if no other explanation presents itself.
August 13, 2011 5:07:37 PM

I've used MSI Afterburner and AIDA64 and both seem to give the same readout ( http://imgur.com/ifmRo for print screen). I have thought about returning it but I wanted to find other owners of the same card first to check it isn't normal for this card.

a c 388 Î Nvidia
August 13, 2011 5:12:18 PM

Lewis57 said:
I've used MSI Afterburner and AIDA64 and both seem to give the same readout ( http://imgur.com/ifmRo for print screen). I have thought about returning it but I wanted to find other owners of the same card first to check it isn't normal for this card.

The artifacts are a bigger problem than the temperatures. The temperatures are more of a symptom of the problem.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 13, 2011 5:40:43 PM

17seconds said:
The artifacts are a bigger problem than the temperatures. The temperatures are more of a symptom of the problem.

I thought artifacts were the symptom of a problem. Temperatures are one such cause, voltage could be another cause.
August 13, 2011 8:17:14 PM

My hesitation with RMA'ing this card comes from working in a place where we deal with KFA2 RMA's (UK brand, pretty unpopular, took over BFG) and I've worked on the RMAs myself and know that just because it is RMA'd for artifacts, doesn't mean it will ever be shown in tests. I've seen artifacts only within Crysis 2, but I've seen flickering lights and such in many games (GTA IV, Fables 3 just to name the last two I played) but again I don't know if it is prominent enough to be picked up by someone who is testing it.

In work our testing routine consists of running ATI tool for an hour, running heaven for an hour and then running 3D Mark Vantage for 3-4 loops. If, by this point no problems are picked up, I'd run crysis 1(demo) on it for around 30 minutes. I've done all of these things on my card at home and haven't seen artifacting in any of these tests, I'd assume MSI has a greater array of tests but I doubt that it would be picked up. And it would suck to be left without a GPU for a few weeks without guaranteed replacement.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 13, 2011 8:24:07 PM

Lewis57 said:
My hesitation with RMA'ing this card comes from working in a place where we deal with KFA2 RMA's (UK brand, pretty unpopular, took over BFG) and I've worked on the RMAs myself and know that just because it is RMA'd for artifacts, doesn't mean it will ever be shown in tests. I've seen artifacts only within Crysis 2, but I've seen flickering lights and such in many games (GTA IV, Fables 3 just to name the last two I played) but again I don't know if it is prominent enough to be picked up by someone who is testing it.

In work our testing routine consists of running ATI tool for an hour, running heaven for an hour and then running 3D Mark Vantage for 3-4 loops. If, by this point no problems are picked up, I'd run crysis 1(demo) on it for around 30 minutes. I've done all of these things on my card at home and haven't seen artifacting in any of these tests, I'd assume MSI has a greater array of tests but I doubt that it would be picked up. And it would suck to be left without a GPU for a few weeks without guaranteed replacement.

A UK brand? Really? :heink: 
KFA2 is the European premium brand of Galaxy
August 13, 2011 9:00:02 PM

Yeah, I knew they were owned by Galaxy but didn't know they were supplied throughout europe.
August 13, 2011 10:05:55 PM

Nevermind, I've taken steps to RMAing this card, according to some forums, the frozr III has known artifacting issues and no VRM heatsink causing higher temperatures.
August 13, 2011 10:47:34 PM

Are you referring to the MSI Hawk model? Though you're idle temps are indeed higher than what I get, that card does have a metal heatsink across the VRM and DDR5 chips (Even though it's not connected to the main unit.) In fact, though mine sees GPU temps in the 70's C, the VRM and DDR stay in the low 60's.
!