Sign in with
Your question

PSU Metal NOISES [URGENT]

Last response: in Components
January 12, 2012 8:35:47 PM

Hey My PSU [ Some psu that came with my acer comp 300 watts or 250 not sure] its been 3 years or 4 years. Today it starts being noisy, as if there is something between the PSU Fan. It's like something is loose.

Sort of like when you have a fan for your room and there are these round circle metal things.

Basically it sounds like my PSU has something loose inside that is rotating. IT is noisy. What do I do? I don't want to open it up.

a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 8:37:15 PM

{I Don't want to open it up}

Then you need to replace the entire PSU.
m
l
January 12, 2012 8:39:43 PM

Right now the noise is gone. It comes and goes randomly. It is very odd.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 8:55:46 PM

take the psu out of the case... turn it upside down and give it a shake... see if anything falls out... sometimes a little piece of plastic shielding will come loose and hit the fan making a clicking sound like a playing card in a wheel. if nothing falls out then you may have a problem with the fan and bearings is so then the fan will need replacing asap as it could lock up any time. causing the psu to overheat... this can result in a dead psu or worse take some or all the components in the pc with it...
especialy if its a cheap built in model.
m
l
January 12, 2012 8:59:16 PM

A screw came out. What do I do? Screw looks pretty beaten probably by fan blade
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 9:40:57 PM

imtiax said:
A screw came out. What do I do? Screw looks pretty beaten probably by fan blade

Hi :) 

CHANGE the PSU for a new one...its a safety issue....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 10:13:00 PM

a screw came out? look on the motherboard and see if theres 1 missing if not then its likely it came from the psu. if so you will need to open in and make sure it hasnt damaged anything. even a fan blade.
broken blades will mean less effective cooling and could lead to overheating...
if the screw came from the motherboard ask yourself how it came to fall into the psu.
has some1 been fiddling about? if you think so then check over the system as a whole and make sure everything is where its supposed to be...
then put the psu back. make sure its connected and turn the pc on... if it doesnt go bang when you hit the power its most likely safe to use... but keep an eye on it for a couple of hours and dont leave it on unattended over night till your absolutely sure its safe ...

if your not comfy with that then brett has the rite idea...
m
l
!