Windows 7 OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontqqnub

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I have a friend that wants to upgrade to a ssd for OS, he has windows 7 OEM. That being said will he be able to format his current HDD and use the windows 7 on the ssd? What if he switches motherboards before he installs?

Basically how does oem windows 7 limit you?

Solution
@ joe_newbuilder
[fixed]Typically with OEM you can change the HDD, ram and video card. Once you change the MB you get into trouble. [/fixed]
Its pretty much all that, but if your mobo has died, MS will still activate, but u need to do that over the phone.
[fixed]Also you NEED to switch the MB before you install otherwise windows will not install the proper chipset drivers and it is possible that the machine will not boot or crash often.[/fixed]
True and best thing to do is a clean install.

U cannot just swap HDD from 1 PC and put it to another one. In some cases it will work fine, if CPU is similar and it has fairly new OS, not a decade old XP.

It worked when I tried SSD with W7 from C2D E6750 to 2600K, from Gigabyte to Asus mobo and everything was...

joe_newbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

typically with OEM you can change the HDD, ram and video card. Once you change the MB you get into trouble.

Also you NEED to switch the MB before you install otherwise windows will not install the proper chipset drivers and it is possible that the machine will not boot or crash often.

@ joe_newbuilder
[fixed]Typically with OEM you can change the HDD, ram and video card. Once you change the MB you get into trouble. [/fixed]
Its pretty much all that, but if your mobo has died, MS will still activate, but u need to do that over the phone.
[fixed]Also you NEED to switch the MB before you install otherwise windows will not install the proper chipset drivers and it is possible that the machine will not boot or crash often.[/fixed]
True and best thing to do is a clean install.

U cannot just swap HDD from 1 PC and put it to another one. In some cases it will work fine, if CPU is similar and it has fairly new OS, not a decade old XP.

It worked when I tried SSD with W7 from C2D E6750 to 2600K, from Gigabyte to Asus mobo and everything was working fine. No errors.

Solution

dontqqnub

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Ye I saw that post, but it didnt really answer my questions about how oem limits you.

[fixed]I have a friend that wants to upgrade to a ssd for OS, he has windows 7 OEM. That being said will he be able to format his current HDD and use the windows 7 on the ssd? [/fixed]
Yes, no problem here.
[fixed]What if he switches motherboards before he installs?[/fixed]
If his mobo is bad or is something wrong with it, it will not activate over the net, but phone call should. If he will install more or less equivalent of that old mobo.

If he will use some high end and before he had low end, I don't thing it would fly.

dontqqnub

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Ye, he has that.

Status
Not open for further replies.