Looking at the Aspire M5700 Service Guide shows that it uses a standard ATX (a.k.a. PS2) form factor power supply unit.

The replacement power supply unit, that you buy, does not have to have a fan on the back. The ones with a big fan on one side will have the fan oriented in the proper direction when the power supply is mounted into the case.

Consider the Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2 (CMPSU-500CXV2). It should have enough capacity to handle the addition of a decent discrete graphics card at a later time.

http://www.ncix.ca/products/index.php?sku=60329&vpn=CMPSU-500CXV2&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1065

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
The problem is that the case is so small. Bascially the case is the size of the motherboard.

There is like 0.3mm of space between the bottom of my motherboard and the bottom of my case...They literally touch each other. If i get a psu like that. (My psu is top mounted) it will touch my cpu cooler/fan thing.

The current psu almost already touches it..

This case is really small and I cant switch it into antoher case because it is a propietary motherboard. I tried and it wouldnt work on another case

The Acer Aspire M5700 Series Service Manual specifically states:

Power Supply

Power Supply Mounting Features
• Chassis accepts ATX-style power supply
• Chasses accepts PS2, PS3 style power supply
• Features for internal mounting tab
• Location of 4 external mounting holes

The motherboard adheres to the microATX (a.k.a. mATX or uATX or µATX) form factor (i.e. 244mm x 244mm). The motherboard's mounting holes are all in the standard microATX positions.

The Acer Aspire M5700 Series case is a microATX mini tower.

From what I've seen of the Acer Aspire M5700, its motherboard will fit another case, and a new ATX power supply unit will fit in the Acer Aspire M5700's case with no problems.

Just because the techs at Canada Computers were unable to do it does not mean it can't be done.

There is documentation available about that motherboard's front panel header, front USB and front audio available to make it work.

If you were to move that old Acer mATX motherboard to a new case you may/will have to rewire the front panel connector from the new case to match what the motherboard's front panel header expects if the case's front panel connector is a single 20-pin connector.

Acer_Aspire_M5700_Series_Motherboard_Front_Conne.png

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah that was my problem. The cases front panel connector is a single 20-pin connector.

So i could not figure out how to make it work in the new case as the new case has like tons of seperate wires for the front pin connectors

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I looked at my motherboards manual and still no help. Because the labels in the new case do not match the labels in the manual.

Epically the reset switch and those 5v cables. Because this case has no reset switch.

I would pay someone to do this for me but I can't find a store that can.

I wouldn't expect the connector labeling for the new case to match the labels in the manual. Terminology changes over time.

Each motherboard manufacturer and case manufacturer may have different label names for each pin.

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
If I were to plug in the wrong cable into the wrong pins would it damage my PC when I try to turn it on?

Basically if the PC does not turn on or lights dont work i just try it in another hole? right?

Or am I better off just buying a new mobo for my processor.

Yes it could cause damage, because one wrong connection can cause a short circuit that will melt the case's front panel wiring or even a circuit trace on the motherboard.

Your shotgun approach to wiring should not be attempted unless you don't care if you burn something out.

That's a 14 pin connector, look again at the chart provided by ko, very top , see pins 1-14 ?
The description in your last post is of the audio connector.
If you can't differentiate between them no one is going to be able to help.