Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will a AM3 CPU in a AM2+ socket and DDR2 Memory slow my computer down?

Last response: in Components
January 12, 2012 10:03:50 PM

I currently have a Athlon 64 x2 5200+(2.7Ghz) CPU in a AM2+ socket with 4GB or DDR2 667 RAM. If I upgraded my CPU to a Phenom II X4 2.8Ghz CPU, would my computer slow down, speed up, or stay the same?

Other Info:
I am asking this because I hear that using a AM3 CPU in a AM2+ socket with DDR2 RAM will bottleneck the RAM, but what I cant find is that the bottle-necking of the RAM lower the computers performance lower than it originally was. I plan on buying the Phenom II X4 soon, unless its a bad idea.
My motherboard Supports AM3 socket CPU's
I cannot upgrade anything else but the CPU.(Limited Money)
I have a aftermarket Heat-sink that will keep almost any CPU I get cool.

If you need the exact names or specs for any of my components, please ask. :) 
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 10:07:41 PM

you'd get a huge performance boost.
Score
January 12, 2012 10:13:30 PM

lol the ram might end up being the bottleneck, but really, you wouldnt see the difference im sure.
Score
Related resources
January 12, 2012 11:34:18 PM

I got two opposite answers... not sure what to do yet...
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 11:40:30 PM

Hi :) 

You didnt get two answers, they just didnt explain it well....

When you go from a dual core to a quad core you WILL see a massive increase in speed, the ram may run a litle slower than DDR3 but the massive increase from the 2 extra cores will be so big you wont notice the small decrease from the ram..

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 11:40:44 PM

clarification: the processor you have now is junk. Upgrading will give a huge boost in performance. make sure the BIOS supports it before you install new processor. ( update BIOS while old processor is in the board if needed ).
Score
January 13, 2012 11:12:21 AM

Good, those answer my questions perfectly. Thanks for help :) 
The Bios was updated with current drivers yesterday :) 
Score
a c 113 à CPUs
January 13, 2012 1:53:57 PM

you will never see the true performance of that cpu because the ht link speed is less than half what it would be on an am3+ board. also the ram is slllloooooow... upgrading to a new cheap am3+ board and ram with 1066 or even 1333 will show a huge boost in performance. well at least 50% over just banging it into your current board.

oh i almost forgot not all am2 boards will support am3 cpu's as the manufacturers of the boards tend not to upgrade there bios's when new arcitecture comes out even if its on a similar socket that would generally work. i had this issue with both asus and gigabyte when i had my old amd 6000x2 and wanted to upgrade to phenom. so make sure it is fully supported b4 you buy or you will have to upgrade the mobo, which i suggest you do as soon as you can.
Score
January 13, 2012 7:37:49 PM

HEXiT said:
you will never see the true performance of that cpu because the ht link speed is less than half what it would be on an am3+ board. also the ram is slllloooooow... upgrading to a new cheap am3+ board and ram with 1066 or even 1333 will show a huge boost in performance. well at least 50% over just banging it into your current board.

oh i almost forgot not all am2 boards will support am3 cpu's as the manufacturers of the boards tend not to upgrade there bios's when new arcitecture comes out even if its on a similar socket that would generally work. i had this issue with both asus and gigabyte when i had my old amd 6000x2 and wanted to upgrade to phenom. so make sure it is fully supported b4 you buy or you will have to upgrade the mobo, which i suggest you do as soon as you can.

The motherboard I have now says it supports Phenom II X4 right on the cover of the box, This motherboard isn't to old either, less than 6 months. I bought it because I could put my RAM and CPU in it without upgrading them because I didn't have the money too. at the moment I don't have a job, because of school, so when ever I get money, I get what I can before the money is gone.... Even though its a bad habit. The moment I get a job, I plan on saving $2,000+ and buying the best parts I can.
Score
a c 113 à CPUs
January 13, 2012 8:45:44 PM

cool, hope you find work soon m8...
Score
January 19, 2012 11:00:30 PM

Best answer selected by Pepto.
Score
!