Sandybridge vs ivybridge

eddie151

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Hello All

i am looking to make a new build. depending on budget i will be using a 7970 or a 7950 which is apperently due out at the end of the month. now here is my problem do i use a sandy bridge and wait for ivybridge? looking at most of the 'leaked' slides about on rumour sites it seems the cpu on ivybridge is not as improved as the cpu. will there be a noticable difference in the cpus performance? as i will be using a dedicated gpu for the graphical output.

thank you
eddie

Well it depends. If you can not wait for Ivy Bridges and you have to have the computer now then I would say get the Sandy Bridges. If you don't have to have the computer built right away then I would say wait it out and get the Ivy Bridges. Ivy Bridges will be even faster then Sandy Bridgesand it will be priced AROUND the same as the current Sandy Bridges.

I think CPU performance improvement vs Sandy Bridge will only be about 6%, but that's just my opinion. The Intel HD 4000 graphics core is estimated to be around 60% faster than the current Intel HD 3000 core though.

I think Ivy Bridge basically serves as a testbed for the 22nm die size manufacturing process. I'm sure Intel will want to work out the kinks before Haswell is released in 2013.

IB may have up to a 10% CPU performance increase, but everyone needs to wait for benchmarks because right now it's just guesses and opinions.

aviconus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

Ivy Bridge pushed too May/June. I planned on building an Ivy Bridge System, but think I am going to hold out until Haswell 2013.