Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will a wirelss printer work with my set up?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 23, 2011 1:20:57 AM

hey guys, i hope this is the right section for my question.

I have 2 gaming rigs..both are connected to the net through a wireless router but im hardlined into it using ethernet. i keep the wireless part of my router off cuz i dont use it i just needed it to split my net connection to 2 pc's.

i was looking at buying a new printer and liked some wireless ones but i wasnt sure if it would work for me. say i turn on my wifi on the router since the printer uses wifi...if i hit print on either pc how does the info get sent to the printer if the only thing connecting my pc's to the router is cat5e? do i need to have pc's that have wireless directly built into them? if thats the case i can get how a wireless signal would get to a printer directly from the pc but i dont get how it works with wifi.

im confused on how wireless printing works and tried to look it up but only got more confused. can i do it with my current set up?

i hope i explained it ok, if more info is needed please ask. thanks for any info.
a b F Wireless
February 23, 2011 6:24:42 AM

The printer connects wirelessly to the router which acts as a hub for anything that wants to connect with it. Enable the wireless facility on the router but just don't bother setting up connections from either computer. The printer is set up to talk to the router from within itself and doesn't need to be connected to the computers at all but its driver software will need to be installed on any one form which you need to print.

m
l
February 23, 2011 6:28:24 AM

thank you for the response. where i get confused is if my computers dont have built in wireless how does the print info get from the pc to the router? via ethernet? thats the only cable connected to the pc and the router. is that right?
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
February 23, 2011 7:54:24 AM

vegasblahman said:
thank you for the response. where i get confused is if my computers dont have built in wireless how does the print info get from the pc to the router? via ethernet? thats the only cable connected to the pc and the router. is that right?

Got it in one - the printer needs software on the computers to carry out the basic instructions and those are then sent to the router by ethernet for the printer to pick up wirelessly. Both computers will need to be in the same Workgroup and be set for File and Printer Sharing - are they running XP or a more recent OS?

m
l

Best solution

a b F Wireless
February 23, 2011 4:29:33 PM

vegasblahman said:

As long as any device can get connected to the router, whether by wire or wireless, it becomes accessible to any other device connected to the same router. Wire and wireless are just the "medium". Think of it as backroads vs. highways. Doesn't matter whether you take the backroads (wire) or I take the highways (wireless), we bought end up at the same destination (router). At that point, the router and switch work together to seamlessly direct traffic between the various connected devices. Hence, once your wireless printer is connected to the router, every other device, whether wired or wireless, automatically becomes a potential client. In fact, it’s so seamless, you can’t really tell if the printer is connected via wire or wireless! Any device only knows (and cares) how *it’s* connected, not its peers.

March 12, 2011 8:05:45 PM

Best answer selected by vegasblahman.
m
l
!