How Do You Know If You Applied Thermal Paste Properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Questions in the title. Is there some way to know for sure?

Also, I have the paste supplied with my 212+ and some arctic silver 5, which one would yield the better results?

I've found so many posts about pea sized dots, and others about two lines... And it just puts me in this circle of thought of, "Did I do it right???"

Thanks!

-N

Solution
Hi :)

When people say a pea sized dot ...they dont mean just put the dot on...they mean put it on then spread it very thinly over the cpu surface...

Artic silver is fine...a good branded make....to give an example of how much to use an artic silver tube has enough in it for at least 20 uses...

All the best Brett :)
Hi :)

When people say a pea sized dot ...they dont mean just put the dot on...they mean put it on then spread it very thinly over the cpu surface...

Artic silver is fine...a good branded make....to give an example of how much to use an artic silver tube has enough in it for at least 20 uses...

All the best Brett :)

Solution
I normally use a dab that is half the size of a pea. To me it always seems like not enough at first but it always works out.

Using a business card or your finger with a plastic sandwich bag works really well for spreading the compound.

This video tutorial may help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g

I second Brett928S2's vote for Arctic Silver. It is the best stuff I have ever used. Well worth the money.

WTFO

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
+1. That YouTube vid is a good visual aid. This is one of those simple things that you can over complicate by thinking too hard about it. As long as your paste(which is a good one) isn't spilling over to the underside of your CPU you will be fine just spread it in nice and evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.