naminaterzzz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I know this question is a bit over asked but I'm wondering what is better for my situation. All I use my computer for is playing games like WoW and a bit of fps. My graphics card is fine(Nvidia gtx550ti) but I need to upgrade my processor( current is quad core at 2.4 ghz intel). What i really want from this cpu upgrade is a bit better gaming performance but mostly better multitasking and overall computer speed because my current build is really slow at multitasking and when i try to stream my gameplay it just lags like crazy. I am aware that intel is of a higher quality than amd but Im on a really tight budget. I have to replace my cpu my mobo ram and my case since someone told me its too small. I don't want to spend too much money so I was looking at the AMD FX 4100 and the phenom x5,x6 and it looked nice but is it really that bad? I mean if it works fine and it lasts then i see no reason why not to go amd but if there will be problems then i dont mind spending the extra bucks on an intel processor. Can someone fill me in?

his cpu is more than powerful enough for wow, he'd be able to max the game if he had a slightly better gpu.

the 550 ti is crap, he'd see a lot more improvement if he just got a more powerful gpu. Even a 6850 would make everything run smoother.

I doubt its his cpu when wow will only use 2 cores and he has 2 more cores free to do anything that the streaming requires. might be ram issues. The gpu is currently the weakest link.

naminaterzzz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
the thing is is that wouldnt a 6850 be bottlenecked by my cpu? its an intel core 2 quad... i clearly wrote my graphics werent the problem(i run high to ultra with decent frames) its just that my multitasking sucks really bad. I can't have more than 3 windows up or ill start lagging

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

A 6850 is just a tad bit faster than your GTX550Ti. The performance difference wouldn't be worth the price.

multi-tasking is just as much memory intensive as it is cpu intensive....and in some cases more so.

What version of Windows?? How much memory do you have installed? What is your memory usage while "multi-tasking"???

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

nVidia and Blizzard both say otherwise.....

According to nVidia, the GTX460 is capable of maintaining 60fps using the "Ultra" preset at 1920x1200...

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

6850 is not 40%.... lol. In most cases, it's 10-20% faster. It only exceeds that in rare cases. Best case is only 30%.

3dmark11_1280_1024.gif

I actually mean its 50% faster.

vista has problem with ram and allocating it while you have a lot of stuff open but it should be too much of a problem. describe what you mean by lag more?

More ram is probably going to do more than a cpu for amount of money spent.

naminaterzzz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
okay i think i didnt make this clear im not lagging in game in fact im running perfectly in game its just when i try to stream my gameplay or fraps iit i get spikes. Also in just general use, my computer is a bit slow with different programs up. I do want a slight upgrade with graphics since im getting a new cpu but i want just better multitasking with gaming

depends on what you really want. Your gpu is quite weak and you would not see much gain in performance from a large cpu upgrade as a c2q are more than enough for anything thats not gaming. In games you wouldn't see much change because the gpu is not the strongest but it is enough for wow.

8 gb of ddr3 1600 ram is enough and you'd see very little difference going higher, only noticeable in benchmarks. ddr2 ram is also not much slower so 8 gb of ddr2 would also do and you'd still not notice the different in everyday tasks.

a phenom x4's multitasking isn't too much higher than a c2q, you'd only notice it in gaming so its not much of an upgrade in terms of that. I would think it would be hard to tell the difference between a cpu for general multitasking with even the fastest cpus you can buy as cpus were plenty fast when they made the c2qs and software having bumped up requirements.

Fraps needs a lot of gpu, ram and cpu headroom, I suggest not recording unless you lower settings. your cpu is still more than enough for frapping wow.

depending on your budget, the best to do might be just to buy more ram. To get a phenom 2 isn't worth the minimal $200 considering how much performance you'd get out of it.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

How many people play benchmarks? That is a nicely skewed benchmark chart right there. My GTX460 1GB never dropped below 16fps running 3DMark11@1920x1080....yet that chart shows 10fps@1280x1024. Also, that chart doesn't show which test is being run. I'd expect to see lower framerates on the GPU Physics test or the tesselation test. At any rate, of the actual game benchmarks I viewed, 1 test showed roughly a 30% difference, the others showed a 10-20% difference. Unless he's going to go to at least an HD6870, HD6950 or GTX560Ti....the minor gain doesn't justify the cost.

you have no idea what you are talking about. There is no way you can run 3dmark11 @ 1920x1080 without buying it and if you did, you'd get 5 fps...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_6850_SCS3_Passive/27.html
go check the gaming performance differences they are linked in the same review, its 20-80% difference between the 550 ti and the 6850

35% increase in performance at 1920x1200 and 42% increase in performance at 2560x1600.