CPU fan gets REALLY loud during gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dob1026

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I have a phenom ii 955 overclocked to 4.2 ghz. just recently, the cpu fan has taken to getting obnoxiously loud during gameplay. I doubt it has to do with the overclock, as i had it running at that frequency for two months with no issue. once i leave a game, the noise gradually declines. this is a very annoying issue and if any of you guys could help out, i would appreciate it

Solution
Here's why not ANY Coolermaster:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034/9
That may seem irrelevant, but what it illustrates is that Coolermaster is a dishonest company. As such, it does not deserve business for ANY of its products. Fortunately, there are many CPU coolers that are competitive, such as the Xigmatek Gaia; essentially any 120mm tower cooler will be sufficient, and they don't cost any more than the Coolermaster, so you're not taking a hit in the wallet for refusing to support a dishonest business.

jemm

Distinguished
I strongly advice you to get the Hyper 212, both Plus or EVO will make the job. I think you won´t have a problem with the ram, but make sure it will fit your case, as the Hyper 212 is quite tall.

Here's why not ANY Coolermaster:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034/9
That may seem irrelevant, but what it illustrates is that Coolermaster is a dishonest company. As such, it does not deserve business for ANY of its products. Fortunately, there are many CPU coolers that are competitive, such as the Xigmatek Gaia; essentially any 120mm tower cooler will be sufficient, and they don't cost any more than the Coolermaster, so you're not taking a hit in the wallet for refusing to support a dishonest business.

Solution

dob1026

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

thank you for letting me know that. I'd hate to have bought that and figured out later that i gave my money to con artists

I'm using a Xigmatek Gaia on my mildly overclocked (3.8GHz) 970BE, and it is whisper-quiet. I had an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro on a Q9450 that I overclocked to 3.2GHz, and it had a really annoying whine. That was a 92mm fan. I'm not sure it's just fan size though, as an 80mm Scythe Ninja Mini I had on a 720BE was also essentially silent. It had a non-PWM fan that ran at full speed all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.