Startup hangs on initializing USB controllers

thetingster

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
I just put together a new build. However on start up computer hangs for 90 seconds on "initializing USB controllers" when I have my USB mouse and or USB keyboard plugged in the rear USB ports. When these are removed system boots immediately into windows. I had to use an old PS2 keyboard to set up BIOS.

When in Windows all USB ports work fine. I have updated BIOS from MSI but the problem continues.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Windows 7 Premium
Mobo MSI 760GM-P34
CPU AMD Phenom II x4 965 (3.4Ghz)
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3

thetingster

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

Thanks. I have tried a PS2 keyboard and it works and I have also tried every BIOS setting I can think of. I had an exchange with MSI support and their response was to tell me to unplug USB items until windows boots. [unacceptable IMO]

I have noticed that it may be dependent on what make/model of USB mouse or keyboard. I switched to a MS trackball I have that's wireless and it worked. So perhaps the BIOS is just not compatible with certain USB keyboards/mice. I am not sure.

I just think it's strange they wont work until Windows loads.

G

maybe plugging it into a usb hub will help. i agree it is unacceptable. personally i have a wireless keyboard and it wont even work in bios, but luckily it doesnt interfere with startup. i am glad i decided to keep onto my old ps2 keyboard other wise i wouldnt be able to access the bios at all. personally that would be too much of an annoyance for me and i would just rma the board and get something else that is not msi. msi isnt known to be one of the better companies for motherboards

benzenex

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2015
Bump? (I'm sot sure if that's how this works)

I'm having a very similar problem on my (somewhat modified) HP Pavillion p6510y (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02174835) when my Logitech Y-UY95 keyboard is plugged in. Mouse and printer are fine. Only difference I see is that I can still access BIOS with the keyboard after the USB Controller initializes. My BIOS is up-to-date.
Anyone have a new idea?