Msi motherboard - no video. need troubleshooting ideas

hello. Thank you toms hardware gang for any help. This place has been a great resource over the years.

Now my current dilemma: I moved my monitor and the video cable fell off. So reaching behind fumbling with the cord I reconnect it. In the process I think I shorted out something by crossing some "prongs" on the connection. I am pretty sure there was a little "pzzt" sound at one point. Also my 2nd monitor quit working as well :|

So I figured I fried my video card and ordered a new one. However the new one doesn't work either. So then, based on the info I have found it could be either my PSU or motherboard.

Does anyone have some insight on what it likely is based upon how I shorted it out? I don't have a replacement psu or mb for testing purposes so before I buy replacesments I wanted to make sure I had dealt with the easy fixes. This setup has worked fine for over a year so I don't think I am dealing with a seating issue.

Also, initially after this issue, the computer would still boot up (i could see the hard drive working), but now it doesn't at all. I just get a short beep, a delay and then 2 beeps. I have looked up this beep code and it doesn't seem to exist, so I am presuming it is the award bios long beep and then 2 beeps, which is a video card issue. (obviously I am aware of that)

Thanks for any insight on this issue.

Pete
Spokane, WA
1 answer Last reply
More about motherboard video troubleshooting ideas
  1. Hi, If starting the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed (no other devices or RAMs), what are the error beeps? What's the board's model?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards