Overclocking Core i5 2500

If i want to overclock a core i5 2500 , Will it have the same overclocking abilities as a core i5 2400? Less,more or same.
Thx to all who read or reply! All answers will be apreciated.
11 answers Last reply
More about overclocking core 2500
  1. Check if processor is a i5-2500k, (k at the end). If it's just a regular i5-2500, it can't be overclocked well because the multiplier is locked.

    It does have a turbo mode that will bring it from 3.3ghz to 3.7ghz, and you can get a very slight overclock via the BCLK, but I wouldn't really recommend that method.
  2. you can oc just like the 2400 but you'd be able to go higher since the turbo is higher.
  3. lang15 said:
    Check if processor is a i5-2500k, (k at the end). If it's just a regular i5-2500, it can't be overclocked well because the multiplier is locked.

    It does have a turbo mode that will bring it from 3.3ghz to 3.7ghz, and you can get a very slight overclock via the BCLK, but I wouldn't really recommend that method.


    ok! but i have looked at a click bios. A core i5 2400, an option or an information i cant remember said unlocked.. Can u explained this to me ? Cant understand this ?
  4. aksh1811 said:
    ok! but i have looked at a click bios. A core i5 2400, an option or an information i cant remember said unlocked.. Can u explained this to me ? Cant understand this ?


    I don't really understand what you are saying.
  5. core i5 2400 and 2500 (non k) are partially overclockable. you'll need a motherboard (z68 or p67) that supports cpu overclocking for this task. h6x motherboards won't let you oc your cpu.
    the 2500 as higher minimum clockspeed and higher maximum turbo speed, so theoratically it can be overclocked a bit further.
    i assume that you could set a core i5 2400/2500 up to 3.9 ghz single core maximum turbo on a p67 or z68 motherboard.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/14
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/5
  6. You can only oc up to 400-500mhz, well up to the turbo speed at least.
  7. Overclock with motherboard utilities
  8. de5_Roy said:
    core i5 2400 and 2500 (non k) are partially overclockable. you'll need a motherboard (z68 or p67) that supports cpu overclocking for this task. h6x motherboards won't let you oc your cpu.
    the 2500 as higher minimum clockspeed and higher maximum turbo speed, so theoratically it can be overclocked a bit further.
    i assume that you could set a core i5 2400/2500 up to 3.9 ghz single core maximum turbo on a p67 or z68 motherboard.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/14
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/5


    Suppose i have a intel core i5 2500(not K). Can the core i5 2500 have the same overclocking ablities as a intel core i5 2400?
  9. aksh1811 said:
    Suppose i have a intel core i5 2500(not K). Can the core i5 2500 have the same overclocking ablities as a intel core i5 2400?

    i don't quite understand what you mean by overclocking abilites....
    both cpus would have to be overclocked the same way.
    every cpu is different, so overclocking would be different. for example, one user can oc his 2500k to 4.5 ghz doesn't mean another user would certainly be able to oc his 2500k to that speed.
  10. He means is the multiplier the same as the 2400.
  11. The thing to note here is that you really don't have to overclock a 2600/2500 or 2400. Overclocking is kind of like a week end hobby, it is not really needed but you do it for fun.

    None of the non k chips have oc capabilities beyond 100-200mhz, which is pretty useless, they have Turbo boost anyways which is like 600mhz ramp.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Core Intel i5