Sign in with
Your question

Install 2 different cards in one mobo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2011 2:12:42 PM

what happen if i install .. lets say a gtx 460 and a 560 in one mobo what will happen
or installing a gtx 460 with hd 6850
-and is it right that you need a nvidia chipset in your mobo to run SLI ? and amd chipset to run crossfire ?
what if the mobo doesn't has a chipset ?
and is there any way to run 2 different graphic cards in one mobo ?
and tell me more about 2XPCI-E x16 mobo ,is that right that the cheap ones run single card at X8 and tow cards at x16.. and is that effect the card performers in the mobo because 2 card should run at X24 ? and one should run at X16
i wish i didn't ask many questions :D  and hope to get a lot of response :sarcastic: 

More about : install cards mobo

a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 3:12:00 PM

I am pretty sure you can't run any cards that aren't even in the same series let alone different brands. Yes your motherboard needs to support crossfire/sli. Boards can support both ,but you can only use 2 of the same card for sli. I am not entirely sure about crossfire ,since you can mix certain cards from the same series.
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 3:20:49 PM

you could put that gtx460 as a secondary dedicated PPU, but do you currently have those cards? you could always crossfire that 6850 wit a 6870 if your PSU allows:
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 3:40:52 PM

His make a card that i assume has a hydra or some such chip on it to allow mixed cards on a single MOBO. I have seem the card advertised but have not looked into it too much. http://www.hisdigital.com/gb/product2-650.shtml

Yes usually you do need a dedicated SLI or Crossfire chipset but some boards allow both. You cant not have a chipset.

Yes some boards will drop down to X8 for dual cards. this is to do with how many PCIE lanes are actually on the board. Some don't have the amount required to run at full x16 x 2, The better boards will run at X16 X 2 quite happily. This is a result of them being made to a budget, cheaper boards have less features. It makes about 5% difference if that in performance.

Mactronix :) 

a c 104 U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 3:49:16 PM

mute20 said:
I am pretty sure you can't run any cards that aren't even in the same series let alone different brands. Yes your motherboard needs to support crossfire/sli. Boards can support both ,but you can only use 2 of the same card for sli. I am not entirely sure about crossfire ,since you can mix certain cards from the same series.

http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Il...
August 13, 2011 4:02:23 PM

whats dedicated ppu card ??????????????????????????????????
and i heard about "hydra technology" can run to deferent card .. is that right ?
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 4:07:35 PM

hameem 1 said:
whats dedicated ppu card ??????????????????????????????????
and i heard about "hydra technology" can run to deferent card .. is that right ?

PPU = PhysX Processing Unit. When you use the second card as a dedicated PhysX processor.
Don't know about hydra
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 4:08:30 PM

You can buy a card with the chip and you can buy a Motherboard with the chip.
You do need special drivers though.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 4:16:46 PM

Sounds like a great chance of possible future headaches. @ Hameem ; Why are you asking anyway, you have those cards or can buy em for a very low price or something ? Otherwise just take two of the same cards.
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 4:31:09 PM

Future headaches are what being into computers is all about isn't it :kaola: 

The obvious bonus is the official option to run PhysX with an AMD main card.
Not that i really care for PhysX but it puts teh option there.

a c 104 U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 4:39:02 PM

mactronix said:
Future headaches are what being into computers is all about isn't it :kaola: 

The obvious bonus is the official option to run PhysX with an AMD main card.
Not that i really care for PhysX but it puts teh option there.

Aaahhhh, but i've been having a lot of fun then with mine wich i accidentily confused with feelings scaling between irritation to blind raving madness :pt1cable:  and didital bloodthirst. :fou:  Thanks for that ; now i know i DO love my computer :love:  You should do pc marriage counceling. :lol: 
The PhysX would be a definate bonus yeah when you play these games.( and there will be more and more i think )
August 13, 2011 10:53:33 PM

HIS 6850 Ice Q edition , you can mix it with any card you like .. is that right ?
August 13, 2011 10:58:06 PM

is it really worth to put a gtx 460 only for physX ?? is that wast of performers and $$
gtx can maxout BF3 at 1080p dx 11 .. am not gonna put it like a ppu .
August 13, 2011 11:05:53 PM

mixing graphic card is like "chicks" you want the cute ones and the sexy ones and all the stuff, isn't will be great to have all the futures of them in one "chick" ??
i want the gtx physX and 3D and amd cheap performers and all the stuff .. LOL
or at least mixing only gtx card 460 with gtx 5XX sires or maybe 6XX in the future :)  yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 11:27:35 PM

hameem 1 said:
mixing graphic card is like "chicks" you want the cute ones and the sexy ones and all the stuff, isn't will be great to have all the futures of them in one "chick" ??
i want the gtx physX and 3D and amd cheap performers and all the stuff .. LOL
or at least mixing only gtx card 460 with gtx 5XX sires or maybe 6XX in the future :)  yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Eager beaver. But smart though, if you can pull it off. I had no luck doing that in real live with real chicks, it always ended up with a lot off trouble. ( but maybe it was worth it ) ( probably it was ) ( It was ! :lol:  )
August 14, 2011 12:08:47 AM

ignore what i post about chicks .. LOL
can this HIS 6850 iceQ do the job or not cuz i saw a review about it and it says
"it have been accomplished mixing amd and nvidia card with hybrid chip" with arabic
and do not make fun of arabic .. iknow you will you dutch.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 14, 2011 10:35:30 AM

hameem 1 said:
ignore what i post about chicks .. LOL
can this HIS 6850 iceQ do the job or not cuz i saw a review about it and it says
"it have been accomplished mixing amd and nvidia card with hybrid chip" with arabic
and do not make fun of arabic .. iknow you will you dutch.

Why would i do that ? I may be a bit weird and like to have a laugh but i respect every culture, country, religion or whatever. I had a Persian ( Iranien, but he liked Persian ) collega who was also a good friend of mine. ( unfortunetly, he died a couple of years ago ) When we were toghether, and drank his home made firewater, we often made jokes about typical Arabic and Dutch things but i wouldn't do that with someone i don't personally know as a friend, it would be insulting.
!