Your question

Video output freezes with no error message. Please help

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Error Message
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2011 6:10:05 PM

I have an odd prob that I cannot find the solution to. I built my rig in July/August and I've the same prob since. Every few hours, often days (or I would have done something about it sooner), it freezes. The video output freezes and I am forced to power down. I never receive an error message or see a blue screen or anything.

Specs of the PC are as follows

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B
Intel Core i5-2500k
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
Corsair HX750w
Corsair Memory XMS3 (2x4GB) Memory Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1600C)
Intel 120GB 320 Series SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
2x 1GB MSI GTX 460 Cyclone

The only other symptom is that the sound from both the front and back panel outs will cut out momentarily every 10-20min or so. But it’s brief enough for it not to bother me too much.

Any help would be really appreciated.

More about : video output freezes error message

a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2011 8:02:05 PM

Since you didn't list a graphics card, I'm going to assume you're using the on-board graphics chip set. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

What are you doing when the display freezes? For example, does it always seem to freeze in the middle of a game?

When you built the system, did you get the latest drivers for your motherboard or just use the install CD that came with it?

What graphics port are you using: HDMI/DVI/VGA?

-Wolf sends
October 13, 2011 8:21:20 PM

I missed it off in the specs list (now corrected) but I have SLI 1GB MSI GTX 460 Cyclones . I installed the drivers off the CD with the exception of video drivers.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2011 2:26:25 AM

OK. With the addition of two GTX 460's it sounds like it could be a power supply issue. First thing I would do is check to see if there are newer drivers for your motherboard (check the manufacturer's web site). Install any newer drivers and see if the problem persists.

If it does, then I'd probably download and run Memtest86 to check your memory. If the memory test shows no issues, then remove one of the graphic cards and see if the problem persists. If it does, swap graphic cards and retest.

I know you said it sometimes takes days for it to crash. I'm kind of doubting it's one of the graphic cards, but we should make sure.

If you go through all of this and the issue still occurs, that pretty much narrows it down to either the power supply or the motherboard. At this point, I'd probably try swapping power supplies and/or doing power tests from the wall socket.

-Wolf sends
!