Sign in with
Your question

CPUs and Triple-Display Gaming: Bottlenecking Issues?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • World Of Warcraft
Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2012 5:29:27 AM

Hello,

I was discussing with a player in World of Warcraft my intention to build a computer to play games at a resolution of 5760*1080.

He pretty much scoffed at the idea and didn't explain why the idea was so silly to him. He mentioned very briefly about how CPUs don't have enough threads or cores or something? He said right now things would be bottlenecked.

Any other attempts to learn a bit more from this guy was met with silence. I haven't seen him online for months to try asking him again.

So, the forum community of Tom's Hardware. Does anything I mention make any sense?

Thanks.

More about : cpus triple display gaming bottlenecking issues

a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 5:36:55 AM

if you have a quad core or better I'd see no problem in terms of threads,
m
l
January 13, 2012 6:36:10 AM

whats your spec of your PC playing games ?

i have a res of 5760x1200 and dont get issues but i have had in the past maybe i can advise you if i know your spec and help you tweek it
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2012 7:26:48 AM

This made me laugh a fair bit tbh...

I am a thorough wow player and in all honesty Ive never seen wow push my CPU past ~40% usage.

Running an i7 920, but still.....
Running a 6970

currently on 3x 27" monitors running at 5760x1080, between 40-60 fps on ultra settings dependant on the area.

Quick tip however, when running it on 3 screens you can get some nice addons to change your field of view, really helps with your UI management.

sig
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 7:37:20 AM

MNeidig said:
Hello,

I was discussing with a player in World of Warcraft my intention to build a computer to play games at a resolution of 5760*1080.

He pretty much scoffed at the idea and didn't explain why the idea was so silly to him. He mentioned very briefly about how CPUs don't have enough threads or cores or something? He said right now things would be bottlenecked.

Any other attempts to learn a bit more from this guy was met with silence. I haven't seen him online for months to try asking him again.

So, the forum community of Tom's Hardware. Does anything I mention make any sense?

Thanks.

Okay first things first.

CPUs have nothing to do with resolution at all. The higher the resolution, the lower the CPU usage because the load shifts entirely to the graphics card.

Secondly, CPUs these days have too many cores, WoW uses 3 at the very maximum.

Thirdly, I hope you know what 5760x1080 requires in terms of specs. I would reccomend a 6950 2GB at the very least (My good freind siggy has a 6950 2GB with unlocked shaders). But on a game like WoW, which was developed to run on a toaster, a 6950 2GB will provide AMPLE performance.

All in all that guy was a dribbler and probably keeboard turns his way to failure.
m
l
January 13, 2012 5:15:02 PM

That's good to know, deadjon.

To clarify for the others, I'm not asking for what is necessary to run a 5760*1080 resolution or for advice on a build. That's not the intent of this particular thread. I heard something curious from someone in a game and wanted to investigate. I've got my answer, though.
m
l
January 14, 2012 5:44:10 AM

for me who has 3 x 24" monitors and also have the same cards int he following rigs below which should run fine and no issues at all, BUT will depend alot on drivers

AMD X6 1090T 4.0Ghz
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 vengence
Asus Crosshair Extreme IV
with 1 Sapphire 6970 2GB card ............ all games ran on high or ultra but the FPS was about 40 average on 3 monitors adding a 2nd card gains alot extra FPS.

AMD FX-8150 4.6Ghz
Asus Crosshair Farmula V
16GB Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz
2x Sapphire 6970 2GB graphics cards which put the FPS up to around 60 average BUT note the cpu didnt really increaseit it was RAM and the extra GPU.

my current rig is

Intel 3930K 4.4Ghz
Asus Rampage Extreme 4
32 GB of Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz
3 x 6970 Sapphire 2GB cards in tri crossfire and my average FPS on a res of 5760x1200 on Ultra in battlefield is around 85 i have no issues UNLESS the drivers are not so good.

im using driver 12.1beta and all is well but while using driver 11.11a or b i was maxing on fps of about 50/60 which made game play extremely bad for 3 screens.

most problems today or driver related not being right for the fame and making problems BUT sometimes your hardware cant keep up so advice is build a good PC but turn down the graphics content just a touch online you wont notice anyway from ultra to high and your fps will go up alot other things is turn AA down slightly and turn of VSYNC thats an FPS whore and kills games
m
l
!