Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New build for Productivity

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 13, 2011 6:41:20 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 2 moths


Budget Range: (500) Before / After Rebates


System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Productivity [SharePoint Development, VMware and AutoCAD], Wathcing Movies, Connecting to HDTV)


Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Microcenter [can pickup]


Country of Origin: Baltimore, USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type - Intel for processor


Overclocking: No / Maybe in Future


SLI or Crossfire: No


Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080


Additional Comments: None

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts.

Processor - Intel I5 2500K - Just becuase it is latest and keeping in mind of Overclocking in future

More about : build productivity

October 13, 2011 7:12:26 PM

you are unlikely to hit a $500 budget using a $220 processor

2500k or 2400 or 2300
Z68 motherboard . m-ATX to save money ?
2 x4 gig of 1600MHz RAM @ 1.5 volt
2 x 1 terabyte hard drives in RAID 1 for realtime data redundancy
Case /hdd combo like an Antec Sonata lll for value and low noise
cheapest dvd drive


if your OS is not 64 bit then cut the RAM to 4 gig
m
0
l
October 13, 2011 9:04:34 PM

Microcenterr is offering 2500k for $170.

And $40 discount on 2500k and z68 combo

I am not planning to install gpu. Does this keep me in$500 budget.

Need help in deciding psu and mother board. required for this. Planing to use antecedent 300 case!

oS is 64 bit (required for SharePoint 2010)
m
0
l
Related resources
October 13, 2011 9:38:56 PM

This is a build where I'd say an AMD Llano is a good idea. You can build a system with that CPU, skip the video card and go with a 430 - 500 watt PSU. If you don't need a GPU, tweaking it for high-end games, or anything like that I'd say this is a good way to go. If you're uncertain of going with the Llano and sticking with Intel, you don't need the i5-2500K if you're not going to be doing any gaming on it. Go with the i3-2120 and save $100.

Oh and do NOT, repeat DO NOT under any circumstances buy from Micro Center. This is one of those stores where if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Micro Center is notorious, along with Frys, for reselling open box, aftermarket, modified, and returned merchandise. The CPU you're seeing was probably a returned item. Buy from Newegg or Tiger as they're usually honest about what they can and cannot sell. And Micro Center's return policy is one of the worst around from what I've heard. Another thing about buying from these places is that they're very weary of selling anyone the OEM versions of Windows and MS software whereas if you go from Newegg or Tiger they'll sell it to you without breaking a sweat.

With that in mind, try this:

Case: Cooler Master RC430 - $39.99
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX430 - $39.99
Motherboard: Asus F1A75-V Pro - $99.99
CPU: 2.9GHz AMD A8-5830 - $139.99
RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz RAM- $54.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda XT 500GB 7200 RPM - $69.99
Optical: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner - $19.99
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - $99.99

Total: $564
m
0
l
October 13, 2011 9:57:40 PM

I would like to stick to intel for CPU. I don't need OS. I already have it also the optical drive. Suggestions please!
m
0
l
October 13, 2011 10:14:48 PM

What is the difference between i3 2100 and i5 2500 and i5 2500k.

If I can spend $100 more is it worth going to2500k.

And using gigabyte z68Xp-ud3 - almost the same price
m
0
l
October 13, 2011 11:33:45 PM

definitely use the Z68 board . It lets you use the on board graphics for a start , while the P67 does not .

I dont believe you need the 2500K . But a quad core will give you a better computing experience . As I said b4 the 2300 or 2400 will suit your needs
m
0
l
October 13, 2011 11:56:05 PM

For a $30 price difference is it not worth going for 2500k!

Also SharePoint uses lot of resources along with visual studio and virtual server and auto cad!

Thoughts?

How about the ram


Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latenc

Compared to the suggested Kingston

Kingston KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-10600, DDR3-1333MHz, 240-pin DIMM, 9-9-9-27 CAS Latency

With either of processors

m
0
l
October 14, 2011 12:07:12 AM

Well the thing is this - keep in mind what I said about Micro Center and double check the box. It's worth it in that you don't get a defective processor. If it's $50 off the suggested retail price it was most likely a returned product. Micro Center and Frys' are both unbelievably shady when it comes to the computer parts and inventory they stock.

I use a ton of AutoCAD and just about every other AudoDesk product including Revit on my i3-2120 and I don't even come remotely close to using 80% of a full CPU load. If it's resources you're concerned about - increase your memory to 16GB instead of 8GB, adding more cores isn't going to do the trick.

m
0
l
October 14, 2011 12:12:12 AM

The OP uses VM's

More cores are definitely going to be an advantage
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 12:38:44 AM

Yes. I will be using at least 3 or 4 vms installed with Sharepoint.

I can spend little bit more and get the parts form sources other than micro center. Based on that which mother board you suggest for 2500k.
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 1:10:26 AM

Any board with a Z68 chipset will perform similarly .

Buy a quality brand like Asus or gigabyte .
A micro ATX board may be cheaper , and since you dont want 7 expansion slots its a reasonable choice
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 1:11:31 AM

Is this PSU good enough for the 2500k with z68 mb, 8 gb ram, 1 tb hdd and optical drive.
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 1:20:30 AM

Typically a 2500K system without a graphics card will draw less than 150 watts under load
A 400 watt quality unit
even an antec 380 green
should suit your needs

I guess you should get the cpu soon though . Intel must be trying to crash AMD's party fun
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 1:50:21 AM

Hhow good is this mother board

Biostar
TZ68A+RCH LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 2:05:15 AM

Is micro center really that bad! As stated above.
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 4:20:38 AM

g-unit1111 said:
This is a build where I'd say an AMD Llano is a good idea. You can build a system with that CPU, skip the video card and go with a 430 - 500 watt PSU. If you don't need a GPU, tweaking it for high-end games, or anything like that I'd say this is a good way to go. If you're uncertain of going with the Llano and sticking with Intel, you don't need the i5-2500K if you're not going to be doing any gaming on it. Go with the i3-2120 and save $100.

Oh and do NOT, repeat DO NOT under any circumstances buy from Micro Center. This is one of those stores where if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Micro Center is notorious, along with Frys, for reselling open box, aftermarket, modified, and returned merchandise. The CPU you're seeing was probably a returned item. Buy from Newegg or Tiger as they're usually honest about what they can and cannot sell. And Micro Center's return policy is one of the worst around from what I've heard. Another thing about buying from these places is that they're very weary of selling anyone the OEM versions of Windows and MS software whereas if you go from Newegg or Tiger they'll sell it to you without breaking a sweat.

Erm no. The 2500k has an integrated GPU usable and good enough for productivity. It will also be far superior to Llano in productivity tasks. And your microcenter claims are just....wrong. I'm sorry but the 2500k promotion has been going on there forever and I've never got an open box or aftermarket item. And no their return policy doesn't suck as you "heard".
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 5:30:49 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
Erm no. The 2500k has an integrated GPU usable and good enough for productivity. It will also be far superior to Llano in productivity tasks. And your microcenter claims are just....wrong. I'm sorry but the 2500k promotion has been going on there forever and I've never got an open box or aftermarket item. And no their return policy doesn't suck as you "heard".


I've used the integrated GPU on the i3 - it's not bad but I'd far rather have a dedicated GPU - even if I got a relatively inexpensive one for starting up the build.

As far as Micro Center goes - I don't know, I just am not a fan of big box stores like that - I bought an external hard drive from Frys and it was a piece of junk, I later found out that the one I got had been returned before, so that's just my opinion.
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 7:05:38 PM

Comments in this please!

Cpu: intel 2500k
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaw 8gb 1600mhz 9.9.9.27 cas
Mobo: Biostar TZ68A or Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm


PSU: Need Help

Case: Antec 300 or Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus

DVD Drive: From Exiting PC
Mouse and pad: From Exiting PC
Keyboard: Existing PC
Monitor: From Exiting PC Emachiens 24" widescreen

m
0
l
November 29, 2011 12:05:45 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Well the thing is this - keep in mind what I said about Micro Center and double check the box. It's worth it in that you don't get a defective processor. If it's $50 off the suggested retail price it was most likely a returned product. Micro Center and Frys' are both unbelievably shady when it comes to the computer parts and inventory they stock.

I use a ton of AutoCAD and just about every other AudoDesk product including Revit on my i3-2120 and I don't even come remotely close to using 80% of a full CPU load. If it's resources you're concerned about - increase your memory to 16GB instead of 8GB, adding more cores isn't going to do the trick.



I think you are one of the stock holders of Newegg and Tigerdirect. The prices in Microcenter has been lower since I started building PC's.
m
0
l
!