New built computer turns on then off.

Z-Slasher

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
So I just built a new PC, and what happens is that the computer turns on for a split second, then turns off. I had everything connected right.

In more details, the CPU fan spins for a sec, one of the lighting fans turn on, then turns off. Doesn't get to POST.

I am calling customer service to see if they can help me fix this problem. If anyone can help me with this, that would be great. thanks.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
take everything out except the CPU and the case speaker. Try to boot up the computer. If it beeps continuously then it is complaining about missing components (RAM).

If it doesn't get this far then it is either the PSU, Motherboard, or possibly both. It is very unlikely it is the CPU.

If you have a known working PSU (from another known working computer) you can use it with your new motherboard. If it boots RMA the PSU. If it doesn't, then RMA the motherboard and when you get the new one if you still have problems that meant the PSU was bad too.

EDIT: I should mention there is a thread stickied in the home builders section on troubleshooting non-booting builds.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Z-Slasher

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
It was an easy fix. just didn't put the stand offs on. the electricity was moving towards the case when I turned the PC on. I learned something new today.

Hope I didn't fry any parts of my mobo.