Sign in with
Your question

AMD PII X4 965BE OC/Heat issues

Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2012 6:06:18 AM

I've read that the max core temp for the Phenom II X4 965 is 62C. I've seen other people say they've gone well above that without destroying anything.

Right now my CPU is at 4GHz 1.5V and I've disabled cool n quiet. Running a small FFT torture test speed fan shows my CPU temp hit 61-62 in about 1 minute, and CPUID's Hardware Monitor shows each core hitting about 70C in the same time.

I am currently using a Corsair H50 in a push/pull configuration with Arctic Silver 5. My case is the Cooler Master HAF 912. Here is my case's set up in crude paint drawing: http://i.imgur.com/zK2C2.png

I've seen others with a 4GHz overclock without hitting these temperatures while using air cooling.

So should I maybe flip my CPU fans around so they're blowing air out? Corsair recommends blowing air into the case, which seems incorrect to me.

Is the Corsair H50 just not as good as I thought it'd be? I still have this cooler master heatsink laying around somewhere. Although in my experience I was getting higher temps with lower CPU speeds.

Probably worth mentioning that I do have a 200mm fan that I could stick at the top, but it doesn't fit with the radiator installed. If I switched to air cooling, then I could use it.

Other hardware:
2 crossfire HiS Radeon HD 6950 2GB
8GB DDR3 G.SKILL 1333
3 standard harddrives
Corsair HX850W PSU

Any help would be appreciated.
January 13, 2012 6:26:11 AM

So you have the voltage raised, if so that would be the answer to your high temps.
The H50 is usually a good cpu cooler (about the same as a high end air cooler) but if you intend to overclock past 4GHz then I recommend looking into proper liquid cooling. (i.e seporate waterblock, pump and radiator etc)
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
January 13, 2012 6:37:12 AM

The H50 is not as good as even the cheaper good air coolers and you really have to move to something like the H100 to start beating out the higher end air coolers.

I think 1.5v is about as high as you want to go with that chip. In fact I have seen people say not to go over 1.4v with that chip. Also any time spent over 62C will reduce the lifespan of the chip. If I am not mistaken, those chips hit a wall at about 3.8Ghz where performance stops scaling and you get no real gain from going over that speed.

If it was my computer I would back off that overclock and try to keep my voltage under 1.4v and my temps under 62C.

I am not familiar with the air cooler you have but the only way to know is try it. That way you can improve your case airflow by reinstalling that exhaust fan. Change the side fan to intake when you do.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2012 6:39:04 AM

ross_mitchell said:
So you have the voltage raised, if so that would be the answer to your high temps.
The H50 is usually a good cpu cooler (about the same as a high end air cooler) but if you intend to overclock past 4GHz then I recommend looking into proper liquid cooling. (i.e seporate waterblock, pump and radiator etc)

Ah that's what I was afraid of lol. I'd rather not deal with a proper liquid cooling set up.

Well, I may just try dropping the voltage a little by little until it's not stable. If I can't take it much lower, then I guess I'll drop the speed. Just can't see how people are getting stable 4GHz without getting super hot.
m
l
January 13, 2012 6:45:13 AM

anort3 said:
The H50 is not as good as even the cheaper good air coolers and you really have to move to something like the H100 to start beating out the higher end air coolers.

I think 1.5v is about as high as you want to go with that chip. In fact I have seen people say not to go over 1.4v with that chip. Also any time spent over 62C will reduce the lifespan of the chip. If I am not mistaken, those chips hit a wall at about 3.8Ghz where performance stops scaling and you get no real gain from going over that speed.

If it was my computer I would back off that overclock and try to keep my voltage under 1.4v and my temps under 62C.

I am not familiar with the air cooler you have but the only way to know is try it. That way you can improve your case airflow by reinstalling that exhaust fan. Change the side fan to intake when you do.

Ah, I had not heard that there is a wall at 3.8GHz. I guess I'll change around the fans, and if that doesn't work I'll mess around some more with the voltage/speed to see what I can achieve. 3.8 is probably easily doable, so I shouldn't need to upgrade to the H100 I hope.

Thanks for the suggestions.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 9:20:57 AM

First of all you need to invest in a better cooler, even a Hyper 212+ from coolermaster with 2 fans in push pull will give you better cooling than your H50.

Also your airflow should look more like this trying to achieve +ve pressure inside the case.
m
l
!