"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattman141

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
My computer stopped connecting to the internet a few days ago.

I did some troubleshooting (I'm using Window 7 64bit) and it found the following problem:

"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

It has done this once before. I did a system restore because I thought Far Cry 2 was the problem but now I suspect it has something to do with a windows update as I do remember seeing something about a realtek family controller.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forum.

Maybe that network controller has a problem that you can trace in Control panel>System>Device Manager. Under Network Adapters check to see if there's an entry with a yellow mark beside it and if there is, go to Properties then Driver and click on Update Driver. If the system can't find one within your installation, go back to Properties then Details and note the four characters which follow DEV (for device). In a net connected computer, go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and input those four characters in the DEV box and click to search. What follows should lead you to the maker's website for a driver. Make sure you get the W7 64 bit driver then transfer it by memory stick to the W7 system.

mattman141

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Start > Run
type: services.msc
FIND: Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 in the listRight Click
Select Properties
From the drop down select Disabled
Click STOP
Click Apply
Reboot

There is nothing called Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 in my services list so I'm guessing this isn't my problem?

thanks for the help though

mattman141

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

I've tried uninstalling the driver that was there and installed the one from the disc that came with my motherboard... nothing

Uninstalled that and installed the latest driver from the Asus website... Still nothing

The motherboard is only about a year old so I hope it's a driver problem rather than a hardware problem :??:

ERROR

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
try this

Start by running cmd from the start menu
Type “ipconfig /all” without the quotes
Write down the physical address of which ever connection is/are not working. If you are hard wired to your router, then use the Ethernet adapter physical address. If you are running wireless, then use the Wireless LAN adapter. I had to do this for both.
Go to your router's firewall and find the physical addresses of the connections.
Find the physical address(s) of your blocked adapter(s) and unblock it.

Please tell me the instructions how to find the address of the blocked adapter/ router's firewall connections.....i am facing the same problem!

agedpensioner

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I have the same problem, which only started after Microsoft's latest batch of updates (W7, 64-bit). I find that, if you right-click on the Network icon in Systray, select Troubleshoot problems and it will then run through some diagnostics and restore the Local Area Connection - until the next time!

kunj29

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Ok, so I had the same problem as you guys have right now. What I did is, I changed my IP address's last two digit. and it is working perfectly now! Hope this reply help you guys! :)

Amarnra

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Seeing as this is the first link that appears when you google: "Local Area connection doesn't have valid IP Configuration error", I believe that by me necro'ing this thread is justified granted I have a reasonable solution.

Whilst some sources claim that by disabling the Bonjour service or installing the latest version is sufficient, for others who did not have this service no solution was discernable.

However this was only until I stumbled upon a small article written by microsoft in answer to a very similar problem whom linked this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

This page is a tutorial on how to reset your TCP/IP, a solution which on all top search results has remained absent.

Whilst it may not work for you, it worked for me and thus I believe it to be a viable solution.

If it does work for you, please comment so below.

johnnynnhoj

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

That worked for me. Thanks Amarnra!

Status
Not open for further replies.