Sign in with
Your question

Missing CPU core

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2012 7:41:59 AM

Good morning all. I am trying to figure out why 1 of my 6 cpu cores is not posting on pc boot up or in task manager. I am useing a AMD 1100T cpu for 6 cores. My mother board does recognize 6 cores. When i first built it. The starting post did show 6 cores. Is there a way to see if a core went bad or got turn'd off by acident if so how do i turn it back on. BTW i have a 1000 watt corsair psu. 4 gigs of memory. an Asus M4a89GTD/PRO USB3

More about : missing cpu core

January 13, 2012 7:45:04 AM

do you have amd calibration clock on your motherboard? that can unlock extra cores. also could try start, type msconfig, boot tab, advanced options check numbers of processors then check box and scroll down and select all 6 if you can, also check in bios your motherboard can prolly unlock it im sure
January 13, 2012 7:49:15 AM

IT only show's 5 in the advanced tab. it comes with core unlocker on this particular mother board.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 13, 2012 7:52:57 AM

Have you ran the Core Unlocker?
January 13, 2012 7:56:23 AM

I didn't need to because when i first built the comp it found all 6 cores NO problem. Wish there was an easier way to talk. I really am trying to figure why it only see's 5 cores instead of the 6. I wonder if a core went bad or something.
January 13, 2012 9:01:11 AM

Reset your BIOS to default values then re-run the Core Unlocker, it might find the dormant core.
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 9:15:49 AM

Hey, if none of the above works, go to msconfig -> Boot -> advanced options -> untick the box next to "number of processors". restart your computer then go back into msconfig, tick the box and select "6 cores"

a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 9:29:35 AM

Hi :) 

Sorry those answers are not correct...

I run an 1100T and mine sometimes appears as 5 cores on a reboot...

To fix it...go into the Bios and turn off "auto" on the core setting.. you then get a manual choice and you will find core 0 is turned off (no idea why lol)

Then turn it back on and all 6 will work on boot...

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 11:50:23 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Sorry those answers are not correct...

I run an 1100T and mine sometimes appears as 5 cores on a reboot...

To fix it...go into the Bios and turn off "auto" on the core setting.. you then get a manual choice and you will find core 0 is turned off (no idea why lol)

Then turn it back on and all 6 will work on boot...

All the best Brett :) 

Hey Brett

I am also running x6 (1090t @3.9), i had the same problem ages ago and i looked through the core settings but to no avail, i when through msconfig like i said in my previous post which worked.

No disrespect at all, the 1100t might be different in some aspects but i wouldn't call every other answer in correct. there all worth a try :) 

January 14, 2012 12:30:04 AM

With the x6 cpu, activating the core unlocker in bios can cause a sporadic glitch resulting in a core being offline. A post on another site advised that since the x6 really doewsn't have any unlocked cores, core unlocker is redundant. If you run the Asus Turbo utility and Auto tune to the first fast tune setting, all six cores are set at 16x and 3712 Mhz. I have 1090T Black, M4A89GTD Pro /USB 3.0 and it's been very stable since I stopped using the Bios Core unlocker setting.
I am going to upgrade to the AMD Performance memory by Patriot as I can't find any mfg memory configurator that gives me a satisfactory 16 GB solution.

Win 7 64 bit
M4A89GTD Pro / USB 3.0
Corsair XMS3 2x2 GB 1600 Mhz
Mushkin 120GB SSD
Sapphire Radeon 6870
!