Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 9:41:44 AM

Hi guys,
I have a really strange problem. A friend of mine started having problems turning the pc on. The pc was turning on for one split second and then off. Had to take power cable out and put it back to be able to get any electricity to the motherboard (led). Same problem again if I was trying to turn it on. So I thought it was a short somewhere so I took the motherboard out and let only minimum components and try to turn it on. Same problem. I took my PSU(2) and tested his rig without and with all his components and worked fine. Took his PSU(1) and put it on a different rig(4), worked fine. Now, maybe something had a similar problem and explains me where is the problem and why. I tend to believe is PSU is to blame, probably it's preparing to "die".
1. His PSU - OCZ 680W
2. Mine PSU - Hiper 880W
3. His rig : Abit IP35, Intel Q6600, 2 x 1 DDR2 800, 8800 GTS, one hdd and one dvd-rw
4. The rig where I've tested his PSU - Abit AB9, Intel E8200, 1 x 1 DDR2 667
Thank you.

More about : strange psu problem

a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 10:04:24 AM

Yes you may be right, or its output has decayed to a point where it cannot run the Quad system anymore.

The second system you tested in has alot less power draw. i would say if you put it into an equally power hungry system as his it will do the same.

The PSU might even last some time longer if you leave it in a system with less power needs...
January 13, 2012 10:14:50 AM

Swap power cords only. If that doesn't work, new PSU.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply $79.99 after $10 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Unless you are running some kind of awesome GPU setup, that should be more than enough to handle that rig.
Related resources
January 13, 2012 10:17:30 AM

Simple ur cmos battery discharged try to change that it can cause these like nauty problems
January 13, 2012 10:21:35 AM

Ur quad system not need more power its very enough now
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 10:21:46 AM

@Hitechgowthaman: Wasn't the same battery discharge when I've connected my PSU and it worked?
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 10:26:26 AM

@Novuake: Weird is that I've checked his system with minimum components. Processor (Q6600), 1 ram and Nvidia GT 220 so the power consumption was pretty low and the same thing happen.
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 10:38:08 AM

Having to unplug the power cord for a bit, then plug it back in is a sign the psu is on its way out. I have had three psu's do this over the years.
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 10:39:37 AM

@Delroy: Thank you for the link. I was already looking at Corsair, Season, Be quiet or Antec options. 650W is a bit too much. 550 is should be more than find for any mid-range pc.
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 10:41:34 AM

@totalknowledge: Not really. It can be also a short somewhere. Not in my case of course. Have tested the rig outside the case on a wood table.
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 11:31:44 AM

hefox said:
@Novuake: Weird is that I've checked his system with minimum components. Processor (Q6600), 1 ram and Nvidia GT 220 so the power consumption was pretty low and the same thing happen.

Still more than a onboard VGA based system.
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 12:07:49 PM

hefox said:
@totalknowledge: Not really. It can be also a short somewhere. Not in my case of course. Have tested the rig outside the case on a wood table.

I (in my myopic 20 years dealing with my, my work , and my family and friends computers) have never seen that specific behavior caused by a non-psu related short. It has always been caused by a faulty psu. Not to say its not possible, but I don't think that that would be a common cause or the computer not starting, and then starting after unplugging the power supply, then plugging it back in.

edit: made my post a little clearer.
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 12:52:20 PM

totalknowledge said:
I (in my myopic 20 years dealing with my, my work , and my family and friends computers) have never seen that specific behavior cause by a non-psu related short. Not to say its not possible, but I don't think that that would be a common cause or the computer not starting, and then starting after unplugging the power supply, then plugging it back in.

I have seen it several times. Not that I have 20years to my belt.

New PSU was always the end result.
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2012 9:59:42 AM

In the end I purchased a new PSU. Don't want to risk to lose some hardware with this psu. I bought a Corsair TX550M.
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2012 10:06:58 AM

hefox said:
In the end I purchased a new PSU. Don't want to risk to lose some hardware with this psu. I bought a Corsair TX550M.

Did it fix the issue?
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2012 10:08:34 AM

I gave him my psu and the pc is working fine.
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2012 10:10:10 AM

Thought as much. Enjoy...
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2012 7:54:10 AM

Thanks Novuake but I didn't have time to enjoy it. I received the psu yesterday. Installed it on my system, worked for few seconds, windows booted and BANG. A loud noise came from my pc and the house fuse went off. Luckily it was only the psu and nothing else. Checked the pc with a different psu and the motherboard's led is working so seems to be fine. Now I have to send the psu back.
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2012 9:03:54 AM

Geez thats some bad luck rigthh there...
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2012 12:02:51 PM

What kind of PSU did you get?
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2012 12:37:35 PM

Corsair TX550M
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2012 1:44:56 PM

Hmm... a CWT unit. Lots of people have luck with them. Maybe you just got the bad apple in the bunch. Corsair has a good rep, so I don't think you will have any trouble getting it replaced.
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2012 1:55:23 PM

I spoke with Novatech already and they will collect it tomorrow so hopefully I will get a new one soon.
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2012 11:53:26 AM

Received the new psu and is working fine. Tried to use the OCZ one to run my old. It only can boot the pc but can't load the windows so it's almost "dead".
!