TV WIRELESS DONGLE

sleyer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
helo all. regarding about IPTV

do u know what dongle or wireless device can use to put on TV ?? like u all know samsung already have that dongle (Samsung WIS09ABGN LinkStick Wireless LAN Adapter) but i wan compatible with all TV brand ?

If you want a single device compatible w/ all network-capable TVs, then use a wireless ethernet bridge rather than a wireless USB dongle.

[wireless router]<-- wireless -->[wireless ethernet bridge]<-- wire -->[tv]

Of course, this assumes the network-capable TV has a wired ethernet port (most do).

This isolates all the wireless connectivity to the bridge. The TV isn't even aware of wireless. It's connected via wire to the bridge and you configure it on the TV as wire (not wireless). In fact, the bridge will work with ANY wired device, not just TVs (TiVo, DVR, IP camera, PC, laptop, you name it), virtually ANYTHING that has a wired ethernet port.

Note, sometimes these wireless ethernet adapters are also known as "gaming adapters".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156258 (just an example, not an endorsement)

sleyer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

owh... im looking [wireless ethernet bridge] small n support all tv ... what i know now ... homeplug is better choose

about gaming adapters can i
make like this

[wireless router]<-- wireless -->[gaming adapters]<-- wire -->[tv]

if my wireless router brand dlink n gaming adapter brand trendnet also can ?

Yes, you could use powerline as your bridging technology, if you prefer. But powerline doesn't work in all situations. It depends on your home wiring. Sometimes it runs very slow (using 200mbps rated powerline adapters, it might be a slow as 2-3 mbps in some cases, 12-14mbps in others). And of course, you need a PAIR of powerline adapters, one connected to your router, the other located near the TV.

[wireless router]<-- wire -->[powerline adapter #1]<-- home wiring -->[powerline adapter #2]<-- wire -->[tv]

So by all means, if you feel powerline might work better, go for it. But again, it's just a matter if it will work at all, and if it does, how well. There's no way to predict ahead of time, you just have to try it and see.

Btw, some manufacturers are now releasing 500mbps rated powerline adapters, so I would expect some improvements in performance and reliability. Also, many ppl complain about powerline adapters have shorter lifetimes than wireless devices. They tend to run hotter and usually can’t be used w/ surge protection. If you live in an area w/ unreliable power, lots of thunderstorms, etc., powerline is probably not a good choice.

As far as wireless ethernet bridges (aka, gaming adapters), it doesn’t matter if the brands differ. The bridging is based on standard wifi protocols (b/g/n), so they are just as likely to be compatible between brands as the typical USB/PCI wireless adapter installed on your PC/laptop and connected to that same router. IOW, it’s a non-issue in almost every case.