Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help with picking a motherboard!

Last response: in Motherboards
November 10, 2012 5:55:38 AM

Hello, I'm kind of new to Tom's Hardware, I believe this is my 2nd post :p 

Anywho... I've got question between these motherboards... a few things I need to address:

1. I won't be overclocking EVER, I just don't see me doing it anytime soon or in the future.

2. I'm using this computer for both gaming and work
a) Games: (WoW, Arkham Asylum/City, Darksiders 2, Assassin's Creed, Trine 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Dota 2) and other possible future games
b) Work (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Cinema 4D [possibly in the future: Vue, Sketchup and Premeire Pro]

3. I'm buying a computer from Cyberpowerpc, so I'm limited to what they offer, the 3 I listed below attracted me the most, they have good scores on Newegg. Well Gigabyte would be the exception since they only have 6 reviews.

-----

ASUS Sabertooth X79 (This thing really does look cool, and it has some nice cooling features, and I noticed a lot of people buying it when they are building their PC. I wish they had sound stuff that Asus Pro has "DTS Sound") (4/5 Newegg with 171 reviews)

ASUS P9X79 Pro (I think the reason why this attracted my attention in the first place was because it has DTS sound, which the Sabertooth doesn't, and it was cheaper then Asus P9X79 Deluxe, tho I can't really see myself using BT GO 2.0 I don't have a smartphone or a tablet... but then again if I ever do get one of does maybe it would be useful not exactly sure how it functions tho (I'm computer dumb :p ).) (4/5 Newegg with 83 reviews)

Gigabyte X79-UP4 (Well its cheaper then both the Asus I listed above, has some cool stuff tho I'm not sure I understand them... and some of the features sound similar to the features that Asus has... If you guys could explain to me each of the features that is offered to me in this product, I'd deeply appreciate that!) (5/5 Newegg with 6 reviews)

Thank you very much! :D 

More about : picking motherboard

a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 6:46:05 AM

If you are not overclocking, and not building it yourself, half of the "enthusiast" features on these high end boards are irrelevant and a waste of money to you. Both ASUS and Gigabyte are respectable brands (I prefer ASUS myself, but that's me) and as long as you stick with quality I doubt you'll notice a difference between the high end (expensive) and mid grade, even low end if it preassembled and working out of the box. Just make sure you a decent graphics card and cpu, like a i5/i7, AMD 7770 and above, Nvidia 660 and above (with the exception of the batman the rest your game list are older and/or simpler). If your thinking battlefield 3 and the like, think AMD 78xx/79xx or Nvidia 670 or 680 (preference going to AMD for price/performance in the 7950/7970)
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 12:13:43 PM

do you really need that much power? for what you are doing the 1155 is a more cost effective solution, pair that with an i5 or i7 processor and youll easily save $175 on the motherboard alone
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2012 7:57:51 PM

Hm, from what I read it seemed people didn't like the 1155 mobos, and they didn't have good experiences with it and I remember something about bottlenecking, .-. so now I'm not sure anymore :/ , I've also decided from what you and abba tells me that I should just get the Gigabyte mobo which is the cheapest (2nd to cheapest, MSI is the cheapest, I believe its liek 12 dollars cheaper then the MSI one) of all Mobos that cyber is offering on their customization page...
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 12:58:24 AM

peek a boo. saw the PM.

how much is a i7-3770K set up?

with what you're doing
Quote:
This computer is for:

1) Gaming: (WoW, Darksiders 2, Trine 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Cs:Go, Both Arkham games) also future possible titles like Hitman Absolution, Assassin's Creed 3

2) Work: (PS, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Sketchup, After Effects, Cinema 4D) and other possible software programs

3) There is some future-proofing, little bit like the full tower...

an ivy set up would be quite fine and most likely cheaper.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 11:46:29 AM

propsmc90 said:
Hm, from what I read it seemed people didn't like the 1155 mobos, and they didn't have good experiences with it and I remember something about bottlenecking, .-. so now I'm not sure anymore :/ , I've also decided from what you and abba tells me that I should just get the Gigabyte mobo which is the cheapest (2nd to cheapest, MSI is the cheapest, I believe its liek 12 dollars cheaper then the MSI one) of all Mobos that cyber is offering on their customization page...

its unfortunate that your are buying there. maybe try a different site that makes prebuilt computers. honestly the BEST and most reliable selection of boards is on socket 1155. there are literally 270 boards available for that socket, there are only about 50 boards available for socket 2011
m
l
November 11, 2012 8:04:04 PM

Anonymous said:
peek a boo. saw the PM.

how much is a i7-3770K set up?

with what you're doing
Quote:
This computer is for:

1) Gaming: (WoW, Darksiders 2, Trine 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Cs:Go, Both Arkham games) also future possible titles like Hitman Absolution, Assassin's Creed 3

2) Work: (PS, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Sketchup, After Effects, Cinema 4D) and other possible software programs

3) There is some future-proofing, little bit like the full tower...

an ivy set up would be quite fine and most likely cheaper.

That site doesn't offer IB they only offer SB :c, I believe a i7-3770k with the specs I want is about 100 or 150 dollars cheaper then the i7-3820 (+gtx 670) that I'm currently thinking about getting, the i7-3820 that I'm thinking of getting is 1461.00 but I have a 5% discount so its 1387.95 excluding tax.
m
l
November 11, 2012 8:04:59 PM

Anonymous said:
its unfortunate that your are buying there. maybe try a different site that makes prebuilt computers. honestly the BEST and most reliable selection of boards is on socket 1155. there are literally 270 boards available for that socket, there are only about 50 boards available for socket 2011

Thank Van, I was wondering could you please give a brief explanation as to why the socket 1155 are the best and most reliable boards out there, as you probably know I don't know computers all that well.

Though when reading your post a question came up and that was wouldn't the socket 2011 let me expand/upgrade more then the socket 1155?
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 8:40:14 PM

propsmc90 said:
That site doesn't offer IB they only offer SB :c, I believe a i7-3770k with the specs I want is about 100 or 150 dollars cheaper then the i7-3820 (+gtx 670) that I'm currently thinking about getting, the i7-3820 that I'm thinking of getting is 1461.00 but I have a 5% discount so its 1387.95 excluding tax.

even a sandy set up (i7-2600K)might be better in some cases than a sandy-E (i7-3820), like in photoshop:

though for video encoding a ivy set up is the best bang for the buck:

if you throw in overclocking, that an i7-3820 really can't do nearly as well as a "K" processor, then an unlocked sandy/ivy will out perform a i7-3820 in many instances.

i don't know where you got that a 155 socket is bad. it seems the only difference among uses is the 2011 socket is used by people, well, who have more money or want the added advantage of more PCI-E lanes (as in a mulit graphics card set up) and not any issue of performance.
m
l
November 11, 2012 10:49:27 PM

Anonymous said:
even a sandy set up (i7-2600K)might be better in some cases than a sandy-E (i7-3820), like in photoshop:
http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/523/bench/Application_03.png

though for video encoding a ivy set up is the best bang for the buck:
http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/523/bench/Encoding_01.png

if you throw in overclocking, that an i7-3820 really can't do nearly as well as a "K" processor, then an unlocked sandy/ivy will out perform a i7-3820 in many instances.

i don't know where you got that a 155 socket is bad. it seems the only difference among uses is the 2011 socket is used by people, well, who have more money or want the added advantage of more PCI-E lanes (as in a mulit graphics card set up) and not any issue of performance.

Thanks Loon! Actually I got that from reading some of posters here, so that's where I got the idea that the 1155 socket wasn't good.

I've looked up some benchmarks over at anandtech that comparing the i7 3770k is better then the i7 3820

Anyways I've configured 2 from cyber, one is the x79 and the other is the x77 what do you guys think?

x79 built:
c:CM Storm Trooper
cpu: i7-3820 sandy bridge
gpu: nvidia gtx 670 2gb
ram: 16gb corsair vengeance (this is part of the sale)
cooler: Asetek 570lx (i picked this because close price range from the 510/550)
mobo: GIGABYTE X79-UP4
power: standard 800 watts 80 plus
optical drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (part of the sale)
Gaming Mouse/Keyboard: given for free
INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR) (part of sale)
Windows 8 (part of the sale)
Price: 1461.00 with the 5% discount it goes to 1387.95 (excluding tax)

x77 built:
c: " "
cpu: i7-3770k sandy bridge
gpu: " "
ram: 8gb corsair vengeance (part of the sale)
cooler: " "
mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H
power: 600 watts standard 80 plus
optical drive: " "
HDD: " "
Gaming Mouse/Keyboard: " "
INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR) (part of sale)
Windows 8 (part of the sale)
Price: 1388.00 with the 5% discount it goes to 1318.60 (excluding tax)
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 11:00:17 PM

the Z77 is cheaper and ought to perform as well but i am disappointed that its 8gb of RAM instead of 16 like in the X79. the other 8 gigs might be useful video editing . . .
November 12, 2012 12:28:42 AM

Well the additional 8 gigs is 66 dollars...
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 12:29:45 AM

ouch!!

that would be an easy upgrade you can do yourself later.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 12:47:35 AM

propsmc90 said:
Thank Van, I was wondering could you please give a brief explanation as to why the socket 1155 are the best and most reliable boards out there, as you probably know I don't know computers all that well.

Though when reading your post a question came up and that was wouldn't the socket 2011 let me expand/upgrade more then the socket 1155?

its the amount of boards that are availible, there are more form factors [atx, micro atx, itx] in those from factors are many performance/features tiers. price for socket 1155 starts abut $40 for a really low end board, there are many descent boards around $100 and there are a lot of feature rich high performance boards in the $150-$180 range. socket 1155 has been out for 2 years now with 2 different series of processors [ivy and sandy] and it is te most popular socket available on the market. any computer company that isnt using amd is using socket 1155.

about upgrade ability there will probably be a refresh of ivy before haswell comes out like there was with sandy and the i7-2700k, though that doesnt justify an upgrade. with 2011 you get very little performance increase from the lowest version of 2011 cpus to the $1000 cpus. there might be a refresh of 2011 too possibly in the form of ivy bridge-e but that is pure speculation
m
l
November 12, 2012 12:52:13 AM

I'm wondering if this makes any difference... should I get the Gskill or Vengeance?

I wish I could select both you (Van) and Loon as best answer, you guys succesful convinced me to get the 1155 socket boards :D 

Thank you guys so much :D 
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 2:20:13 AM

propsmc90 said:
I'm wondering if this makes any difference... should I get the Gskill or Vengeance?

I wish I could select both you (Van) and Loon as best answer, you guys succesful convinced me to get the 1155 socket boards :D 

Thank you guys so much :D 

personally i run g.skill ram in all of my machines. i have never had a bad dimm from them
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 2:21:00 AM

though everyone has there own favorite companies for parts
m
l
November 12, 2012 3:02:57 AM

Best answer selected by propsmc90.
m
l