Mid level HTPC build - Need help picking out a CPU/Mobo & Case..please

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hi,

I'm getting the component specs in place for a new HTPC build (was thinking about a NAS build but figured out what I really needed was an HTPC to play my ripped movies)! Need help figuring out which way to go - need help picking a CPU/MoBo & Case:

Objective for the new build:

The HTPC build, would be primarily used for watching DVD & Blu-ray ripped movies (ripped to my external HDD - MKV, H.264, MP4, AVI etc) and playing DVD's & Blu-Ray's, and streaming - netflix, hulu, youtube etc. Having said that, I also don't want to build something that would be obsolete or outdated in a year, I would like to future proof it as much as possible.

I have a pretty powerful desktop system (at least I'd like to think so :D) on the home network that the HTPC would also be hooked up to - specs in my signature - so I'm pretty sure any encoding or CPU intensive applications would be run on that and also gaming would be on that!

I'll list out the parts I already have and plan to use for this build:

1) Samsung 12 X Blu-Ray player & DVD writer

2) I have 16GB (4x4gb) of Corsair Vengance RAM installed on my recently built Gaming system (before anyone says it, I know it is overkill and knew it even while building it - I got it at a great deal for $70 and picked it up and hence used it. However now for the new HTPC build I'm planning to remove 2 sticks out of the slots (2x4GB) and use it for this - anything wrong with doing that, would it affect my already built system, if I remove/reduce the RAM?

3) HDD - 1x 3 TB Hitachi Deskstar

Okay so now to the part that is confusing me the most:

CPU / MoBo - I was sold on this Asus Fusion E-350 mobo & CPU combo till I read about Llaano, now I've been comparing the E-350, Llano & even the Core i3-2105 (HD3000) but cant seem to make up my mind which way to go - especially after reading these articles this article and this one (both of which i found from links on this forum). Can anyone who have had more experience than me on this issue help me pick one out - and share your reasoning behind it please?

Case/PSU - Form factor is the main concern here - I started planning this build with a Mini-ITX MoBo - Zotac but switched to a Micro-ATX because I could not find a lot of good Mini-ITX cases or PSU's. Micro ATX was still small enough and had better options! But I'm still unable to narrow down to a specific case considering this Antec Case - but I'm open to suggestions.

My requirements from the case are:

1) that it be small enough to fit under in my media console, max as big as a PS3 or an Xbox.
2) At least have have one 5.25" external bay for my ODD - not planning to spend on a slim drive for this build! Also 2 internal HDD bays for my SSD and HDD!
3) good airflow and ventilation
4) does not look like a computer but looks more like a media device
5) if it comes with a PSU, it be a good quality PSU (80 plus if possible) - what wattage would be appropriate for my use?
6) would be great if it has a remote control and volume control knobs on it!

The memory sticks I have has heatsinks on top so I am also worried whether the case would have clearance for these - if you know or if you can make an educated guess as to whether these would fir then please let me know, thanks!

I'm planning to include an small capacity SSD as a boot drive, and planning to run Windows 7 (XBMC & Media center mainly) - What size SSD would you recommend as a Win 7 - Home Premium boot drive?

All the above including my OS & SSD purchase - I would like to keep it under $400 - if possible!

Please help in picking out the components - your help and advice is greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance!

Solution
Cores vs. speed is an interesting discussion but I really don't feel like writing a whole article for you :)

We often refer to motor vehicles when talking about CPUs. A traditional quad core CPU being more like a truck... it can haul a big load but won't be winning a race onto the freeway.

That's why I use cheap AMD quads in office builds. I know that as the user loads up the system with junk (and they always do) the CPU will continue to carry the load and not bog down.

Intel has changed this a bit though. The newer CPUs ramp up when just one or two cores are needed, making the quad cores behave like the sports car when needed and the truck when needed.

That's not so true with Llano, but at least with the triple core APU you are...
Good plan on the RAM.

As you say, you want something that will last a bit longer than Fusion. I like a strong quad core Llano for the build, but clearly you'll spend more that way. This would be a good way to go there
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.738523

That way you get SATA 6GB/s and USB 3. You get a processor that is going to deal fairly well with updates and virus scans and whatever else, while still playing those Blu-rays.

The Antec case is perfect. The PSU is high quality and the 120mm x 2 fans are as good as you get in that size case.
However, you can get a nicer version with remote and display
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-FUSION-REMOTE-Theater-Enclosure/dp/B001BLZ0ES/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318544269&sr=8-2

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Thanks for the links and the quick reply!

Does removing/reducing the RAM affect the already built system in any way?

Also the case you showed look really good - does it come with a PSU built in or is that a separate buy?

I like the combo deal on the CPU & Mobo - do they plan to phase out Llano anytime soon?

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Thanks again! That PSU is an ATX form factor, does that fit in a micro ATX case such as the one we were looking at? For PSU's does the form factor make a diff at all?

It can, but the Antec Fusion cases fit standard PSUs.

I have changed my mind though. The fan on the NEO Eco may be an issue in that case. I chose it because it's 120mm and the PSU is made by Seasonic... but the fan may be choked by the side of the case.

Better get the EA-380D that is the same PSU that came in the other Antec case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033
A bit more efficient, and quiet enough. Made by Delta.

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Thanks Proximon!

Better get the EA-380D that is the same PSU that came in the other Antec case

That is a good one and silent too, the only thing I'm worried about is price, together they put the price of Case/PSU at $200, which only leaves me with another $200 for everything else, including the OS!

So I just searched on Newegg and found this Corsair 430 W PSU - very quiet as per the reviews I read and much better priced after the discount and the $20 rebate - puts the cost at $20 for 430 W! ATX but like you said it would fit in the Antec case right!

What is your view on that PSU - if it is crappy then I don't want it, I know it is not as efficient as a 80 Plus Bronze but at least it is 80 Plus certified right! Please let me know!

Thanks again!

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
After some research I decided to stretch the budget from [strike]$400[/strike] to $500 and fixing the form factor as Micro ATX, here is what I'm considering now:

This is the build I came up with for now, still open to changes:

CPU : AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz - $78 - Was looking at the quad core AMD A6-3650 but decided on the dual core because I guess that is all I would need - right?
Motherboard: ASRock A75M FM1 AMD A75 - $75 - Has all that I need, 4 USB 3.0, 5 SATA 3 ports and nothing that I don't need!
Case: Antec Fusion Remote - Black - $141 - Not sold on this yet, but it has all the features that I'm looking for, but very pricey, if anyone has better suggestions I open to considering those - please comment!
PSU: Corsair AX 430W ATX - $21 - After the rebate and the promo code savings! It might be overkill but for the price it is the best I could find!
SSD : Haven't decided yet - would like SATA III - if it can fit the budget - How much capacity is the question I'm pondering now!

HDD, ODD & RAM - as detailed in the OP - planning to use what I have!

@ Proximon - I changed the CPU & MoBo you had recommended for cost advantages - do you think the dual core A4 and integrated graphics would do the job? The ASUS MoBo had a lot of features that I did not want - like 4 DIMM slots and few others as well, this one has everything want and is cheaper by around $35 bucks! Please comment!

So, that is it as of now. Please comment on what you think I should keep and what I should change?

What size SSD should I get to use as a boot drive for Win 7 HP - 64 bit??

Thanks in advance for all your replies!

You need to fix your links.

I think that's probably a good compromise on the board and CPU.

This would be the best SSD, given the price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

Corsair 40GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233177

Intel 320 40GB would be the next option, slower than the Corsair but it is a bit more reliable:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167046&nm_mc=AFC-C8JUNCTION&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JUNCTION-_-EMC-101311-Latest-_-SSD-_-20167046-L0B&PID=4176827&SID=l9yy6ldjraps&AID=10521304

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I'm lost here - isn't the one I posted above an FM1 processor? Same goes for the MoBo?

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Sorry about that - Links fixed now!

I'm leaning towards the first one, that is what I have on my desktop, it is going to push me beyond the $500 by a little though might have to cut somewhere else!

Also someone told me that this Pentium G620 processor is better than any of the Llano's is that so?

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
You are right Proximon - read this while doing some research on whether to switch from AMD to Pentium G620 - not even comparable when it comes to graphics. It uses less juice and hence is better in power consumption, but that does not justify the below par performance.

Decided to go with the AMD Llano A6 - Quad core and the rest of the above setup - $110

SSD: Crucial M4 64 GB SATA III MLC - $85 (on shell shocker today).

With the current set up my budget is $532, I need to shave off at least $32, to be under budget, somewhere and I'm thinking either it has to be the case or the OS (maybe Linux), any suggestions!

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Okay I did not get my hands on the Crucial 64 GB SSD shell shocker deal, before it got sold out, so I took it as a sign and decided to build without the SSD that is $85 savings, from my budgeted spends.

Plus I'm planning to switch from the Fusion Remote case to a lesser expensive one - the reason why I wanted that case was because of the remote and the volume control know and all the other features provide by the iMon software package and the remote!

THEN IT OCCURED TO ME - I own a Logitech Harmony One remote - which shoudl be able to control my HTPC as well- right? I found this article online which details out how to set up the Harmony One for your HTPC!

So it can control the HTPC, my question however is: does the HTPC have to have something special like a IR receiver to interpret the IR signal passed on by the remote, how does this work? So anyone who knows how this remote can connect to my computer please comment, do I need to get an IR receiver of some sort?

Thanks for all the advice. So everything else is done except for the case - after I find out about the remote I will decide on the case and maybe a better power supply, and then it is time to order parts! :)

Yes, you do need an IR reciever. I think this one, read the user reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-RC6-Receiver-Microsoft-receivers/dp/B0031YBF9M

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Thanks Proximon - went with your suggestion on the IR receiver as the reviews had good things to say about how well it worked with the Harmony One - that is what I want!

Thanks rwpritchett - the Rosewill one had a couple of reviews where it said that it does not work well with the Harmony remote!

So this is the final list of parts - just need a good case to put them in :)

HDD : 3TB Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM SATA III - 3 TB
PSU : Corsair AX 430W ATX
MB : ASRock A75M FM1 AMD A75
APU : AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz
RAM : Corsair Vengance 8 GB
ODD : Samsung 12X BD ROM & DVD Writer
Keyboard : Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400
IR Reciever : Genuine Dell RC6 IR Receiver
Remote: Logitech Harmony One (already owned - so I am not looking at a fancy case with remote and software)

BUDGET for the CASE : Max $80 (preferably lesser, if $80 then preferably with a PSU)

My requirements from the case are (modified from above based on changes):

1) that it be small enough to fit under in my media console (something like a AV reciever would be fine), Micro ATX MoBo compatible!
2) at least have have one full size 5.25" external bay for my ODD - not planning to spend on a slim drive for this build! 2 would be ideal, especially if there is no front display!
3) at least 2 internal 3.5" HDD bays!
3) good airflow and ventilation
4) does not look like a computer but looks more like a media device (Black please, as everything else is black!
5) this is not a deal breaker - but if it comes with a PSU, it be a good quality PSU (80 Plus Bronze if possible) - what wattage would be appropriate for my use?
6) Front LCD display would be great if it can fit within the budget

Please help suggest a good case for this build - this is my first time building an HTPC - so anyone who has had more experience dealing with such cases and builds please comment on the build as well!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I could but the silver front panel would stick out like a sore thumb in my media console, rest everything is black! So I'm not sold on this yet, looking for an all black case, if I can find one!

Looking at a few options - Antec / Silverstone / Thermaltake etc any other suggestions you have?

aliveisalive

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Just wondering, What apps work with a remote on a HTPC build? Also, What would the LCD be hooked up to on the case?

Thanks, Ive been researching HTPC latley to make better use of my 'legal' movie copies and ROMS, but im pretty confused as to how it all works!

@aliveisalive: It's just another input device, just like a keyboard. Any program that accepts keystrokes as commands could be made to work.
Now start your own thread don't hijack this one ;)

Aoommen, that's a good deal on the Silverstone case and it would work very well. if anything it has too much cooling ;)