Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Question about RAM deal

Last response: in Memory
November 10, 2012 5:55:06 AM

Greetings,

I've got a question about a RAM deal I found on newegg. This is the RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The question I had was: Is this too good to be true? 16 Gig for 60$ I know 16 gig is far more than I'll ever need, but I'm seriously considering buying this RAM just to future-proof my rig. Is there something wrong with this RAM? I currently have an i-5 2400 in this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... I plan to later put an i5 Ivy in it when I need some kind of upgrade.

Another question about RAM: Should I look for faster RAM or tighter timings? I have looked all over the internet and can't find a straight answer to this question. I was able to find some 1600 RAM with 9-9-9-24 timings. How would that compare with the 1866 with 10-11-10-30 timings? Is there a "better" RAM between these two? If prices were exactly the same between the two, which should I choose? I will be greatful for any responses. Thanks for your knowledge!

More about : question ram deal

November 10, 2012 5:40:25 PM

Bump
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 5:58:16 PM

nothing wrong with that ram. great deal. go for it.
Related resources
November 10, 2012 6:07:03 PM

Yes, this is "future proof". But after DDR4 comes out, you're gonna have to buy new memory. I would just go with 6-8 Gigs, but it's your choice.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 6:13:37 PM

That is legit.

The ram timings are a little slow compared to others but nothing that would be noticeable unless you were specifically looking for it.

As for timing vs speed .. speed should win every time unless the timing is crazy high. Also, typically faster memory has higher timings to avoid data corruption.

As for going from a Sandy-bridge to Ivy-bridge, you won't notice much of a speed increase unless you go with a K series and overclock it. At that point though, the SB's are able to hit higher frequencies than the IB.
November 17, 2012 5:07:13 AM

Best answer selected by spancs156.
!